PDA

View Full Version : First time OSX user looking for shortcuts & bug fixes.

myamad
3rd February 2007, 07:47 PM
In Safari, can I preview a link's URL before I click on it?
I'd like to be able to view a link's URL before I click on it. I can preview them in the bottom bar in Firefox but I can't work out how to do it with Safari.

Is there a short cut to bring up system preferences? I've been using it a lot.

Can I configure the mighty mouse so I can right click anywhere in window to close it?
I was able to do that in Windows, hows about in OSX? Is there a short cut to close a window? I can right click on a dock icon to quit the app. it would be good if i could right click in a window to bring up the option of closing it or quitting the app.

A bug in the system?
Using F4 to cycle through windows if I've got ical open F4 stops when ical displays on top.

Some DVD's play in full screen and some play in a window with a remote control display window that I can't get rid of?
What the hell's going on here? I played one vid no prob, the next two appeared in a window with a silly popup controller (play, fast forward, menu etc) the silly machine has forgotten I've got and a bloody physical remote a 20" screen for a reason.

Any help would be great. Cheers.

Oh yeah, and can I burn a dvd onto the hard drive? I looked through out iDVD and iMovie . Surely there must be a way to do it?

Oh, and another thing :o I downloaded Firefox, the app is in the applications, the icon is in the dock, it runs fine, but only when the disk image is on the desk top. I eject the disk image, and then when I open firefox again, it opens up the download to applications window, puts the disk image on my deak top and then opens the browser window.

fiark
3rd February 2007, 07:58 PM
*deleted*

W9cae
3rd February 2007, 08:08 PM
Myamad Welcome to the world of Apple !

The book that really sorted me well for OS X was "The Rough Guide to Mac's & OS X" I purchased at Dymochs for like $25 easy to read great quick reff book.

Cheers Scott

myamad
3rd February 2007, 09:31 PM
Hover over links in Safari - if you have "show status bar" selected in the "View" menu the URL displays in the bottom of the window

Place System preferences in your dock - when you open it, right click on system preferences icon in dock and select keep in dock...? Or are you looking for a keyboard shortcut?

Burn a DVD - drag files onto disk icon and then right click on DVD icon and select burn disk. If you are looking to copy a movie DVD onto your computer - I am sure someone else knows how to do it, but I am not entirely sure it is legal.

Drag Firefox out of disk image into any folder you like (preferably applications folder) then you can eject disk image and firefox will remain on your mac.

Thanks, the first two were flarkin good help.

Yeah it is movie DVD I want ot put on my hard drive. And what's the deal with only being able to change the DVD region five times?

As for Firefox that is what I have done (as with other app's I've downloaed and they had no problems) a dozen times but it keeps reloading itself. I spose I'll have to delete it all togethor and download again. Aaarrrgggh.. I'm on dial up!

Mikey
3rd February 2007, 09:42 PM
Command (Apple) + 0 plays DVDs full screen. Not sure why DVD player is defaulting to a small window. (check preferences??) The controller thingy will disappear after 10 seconds or so, unless you have the cursor over it.

Myamad - I have just discovered that with Sidetrack you can assign keyboard keystrokes to each corner of my trackpad - so I have assigned command W to the top right corner (Command W closes the window that is currently open, including the current tab in firefox, safari etc). nice one - it didn't occur to me to work out how to do this with one tap. I normally just use command w. Havent got my mouse connected, so can't have a rummage for a mouse-based shortcut.

astr0b0y
3rd February 2007, 09:53 PM
You have copied an alias (shortcut) of the Firefox application to your Applications folder. Have a close look at the icon and you will notice a small arrow at the bottom left. Delete this alias and then drag Firefox out of the disk image again without holding down any keys on the keyboard. You should see the end of the mouse pointer turn into a green bubble with a '+' inside if you are doing it right.

bushfire
3rd February 2007, 10:11 PM
a nice tip for you is that if you are using an application a lot, & are tired of opening it from the applications folder drag it into the dock and you can launch it from there anytime.

nortonjg
3rd February 2007, 11:25 PM
Can I configure the mighty mouse so I can right click anywhere in window to close it?
I was able to do that in Windows, hows about in OSX? Is there a short cut to close a window? I can right click on a dock icon to quit the app. it would be good if i could right click in a window to bring up the option of closing it or quitting the app.

apple w to close a window

myamad
3rd February 2007, 11:34 PM
Mikey - everything cool with DVD now, thanks.

Nort - bloody ripper, cheers.

Bushy - kick him in the nuts.

Astro - it wasn't an alias (I checked that when it first happened) but I did have a look at the info on it just now and it said 'kind: volume'. I didn't know what volume was so I deleted it from apps, ejected the disc image and launched it again from the dock icon. It brought up the download to apps folder again so I put it back in and checked info. This time it said 'kind: application (universal)'. I launched it, it put the disk image back on the desk top!

But.. I repeated the process and this time I deleted the dock icon after moving the app into Apps, launched it from Apps, and it didn't put the disk image back on the desk top. Awesome! I put the icon back into dock and tested it all a few times and no probs.

I am beginning to feel the asthetic pleasure of using an iMac. You know what's one of the best things about switching from windows to osx? This site. It's better than apple support, trust me I know after the last few days. (DOA iMac)
Thanks everyone.

Peter Wells
3rd February 2007, 11:59 PM
you didn't ask, but...

quicksilver. (http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/)

the single greatest app of all time. download it now.

mjankor
4th February 2007, 07:34 AM
Have a look at www.versiontracker.com and www.macupdate.com when you have a chance. Lots of free software and shareware and a lot of tiny hacks and patches to add more functionality to your Mac.

glenmorrow
4th February 2007, 09:31 AM
Just on the keyboard shortcuts:
APPLE+TAB cycles you through current open programs (very useful!)
APPLE+Q quits current app
CTRL+F2 puts you up in the menus if you need it (its useful sometimes)
CTRL+F3 puts you in the Dock, arrows to move around, SPACE to open a program.

If you want to find out more keyboard shortcuts, go to:
System Preferences -> Keyboard And Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts - there's a list of all sort of stuff you can do there and you can modify shortcuts as you need as well.

Cheers,
Glen

ClockWork
4th February 2007, 09:34 AM
Regarding FireFox - welcome to the realm of Disk Images.

Most OS X Apps you download will appear on your Desktop as Disk Images - which usually appear in the form of a white drive with a slot in the front.

When these white drive Disk Images appear on your Desktop after you've downloaded an App (like FireFox) - just open that Disk Image, open your Macintosh HD and within that, your Applications folder and drag the App out of the Disk Image window and straight into the Applications folder window.

It will copy across, and then you can Eject the Disk Image, and Trash it's associated .dmg. It is now seen as a solid Application, as opposed to a Download.

Make any sense?

cheers,

cw

soulman
4th February 2007, 11:37 AM
For me, the only keyboard shortcut required when launching apps is Command+space bar - or whatever you have Spotlight set to.

Hit that, start typing the app's name, down arrow and return. What could be easier? You don't have to have anything in your dock, you don't have to navigate to your Apps folder. No mess, no fuss.

myamad
5th February 2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks a lot every one.

Command + Tab and Command + spacebar kick arse. Why aren't they listed in keyboard preferences?

I'll check out those websites when I get the chance.
Cheers.

While we're on the subject -

Is there a keystroke to quit all apps without logging out? I know how to quit the windows but the apps are still running.

In Finder there are three view options; icons, list and columns. Icons is the default view but I want to make columns the default view. Each time I reopen finder it reverts to Icons view.

Can I save the system preferences I've made to a new iMac (it's exactly the same model and configuration)?

I can't work out how to save iPhoto library/folders/albums to a memory stick.

mjankor
5th February 2007, 08:13 AM
Just use Command+tab and Command + Q together. It's a pretty fast way of quitting everything. So long as you hold the command key it won't drop out of the application selection screen.

I think the reason some of these keyboard shortcuts aren't shown is because they aren't configurable. eg: Command+tab is not configurable to something else without hacking the OS.

To save your system preferences (and all your program preferences, documents, etc) just copy the contents of your home folder to your new home folder on the new machine. If you can, use the migration assistant instead as then you won't have to worry about permissions.

The windows should always remember the last setting they were assigned. If they aren't it suggests that a .ds_store file has become corrupt. (The .ds_store files keep all the windows settings, you'll probably find one hidden in each folder. They are a=how the OS maintains different views, backgrounds, etc for each folder.

ClockWork
5th February 2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks a lot every one.
While we're on the subject -

Is there a keystroke to quit all apps without logging out? I know how to quit the windows but the apps are still running.

To achieve an instant Shutdown use the following:

Apple-Command :cmd: key and option key and control key and Eject key.

This will work provided you don't have any documents open that haven't been saved.

To instantly Sleep:

Apple-Command :cmd: key and option key and Eject key.

In Finder there are three view options; icons, list and columns. Icons is the default view but I want to make columns the default view. Each time I reopen finder it reverts to Icons view.

With nothing active except for the Finder, click once on your Desktop, and then click once on top menu item: Finder and scroll down to: Preferences...

In the Finder Preferences window, under General click a tick in the Open new windows in column view box. In the Advanced tab (looks like a steel cog), you can also check the box for: Show warning before emptying Trash box to remove the tick.

For other View Prefs, first open a folder - any folder, and then click once on your Desktop again, click once on top menu called: View and scroll down to: Show View Options. Here you can select icon size and how items should be listed - (by Date, by Kind, by Size etc) - and above this check the Radio Button for: All Windows, and then close this View Options window.

Can I save the system preferences I've made to a new iMac (it's exactly the same model and configuration)?

You lazy bugger! :) The post by Mjankor before mine I believe.

I can't work out how to save iPhoto library/folders/albums to a memory stick.

There's probably 101 ways around this one - but what I always do is to create a New Folder on my Desktop (Apple-Command :cmd: key and shift key and N key ), and then I activate iPhoto and simply drag 'n drop the photos I want, from the Album and straight into the New Folder. It copies them across when you see your cursor take on that glassy green ball with a + symbol in it.

If the photos you want to copy over are in a series, simply single-click the first in the series, then hold down your shift key and click on the last photo in the series, and they'll all have thin blue outlines around them. You can then release your shift key, click down anywhere on the highlighted selected photos and drag them across to your New Folder.

As you drag them, you'll notice it even displays a red star in bottom right near the cursor showing you how many it's about to copy.

If you want to select random photos that aren't in a series, click once on the first photo, and then hold down just the Apple-Command :cmd: key as you continue click-selecting random photos, and then again, once you're done, you can release the Apple-Command :cmd: key, to drag 'n drop the whole lot into your New Folder.

Cheers,

CW

Casey
5th February 2007, 01:34 PM
A bug in the system?
Using F4 to cycle through windows if I've got ical open F4 stops when ical displays on top.

I'm a big fan of Apple's application switcher, the whole Command-Tab business. Some of the cool things it does too, if you hold down Command and press Tab it brings up the little menu thing, and you can navigate through it with successive Tabs. If you have an application highlighted, you can tap another key to do stuff to it, such as Q to quit, or H to hide. You can even hit the tilde key (~) to go backwards through the list.

Speaking of tilde, you can, if you're in an application with a couple of windows open (like Safari or finder or whatever) cycle through the windows by holding Command and clicking the tilde key. Unfortunately you can't go backwards through this lot, you can use W to close 'em though.

Mac OS X has the coolest key commands EVER.

Casey.

myamad
5th February 2007, 06:39 PM
Wow, thanks a lot. This whole osx experience is getting better and better.

Okay here's some more questions (I'm not going to stop untill I stump the lot a ya..)

Where are drivers kept? I want to put the printer drivers onto a disk without re downloading (cos I'm on dial up). I used spotlight but only got a download history list, it didn't say where they were put.

What's a quick way to see file sizes in Finder? When I select a file in Finder, the bottom status bar tells me how much room is left on the computer's HDD but not how big the file size is. I have to 'get info' to check it's size. It would be so much easier if the file size was displayed in the status bar along with the HDD available space.

In Finder, under the labels tab, it says "use thesse label names" and then lists all the colours. How do I use them and what are they good for?

Can Windows open .rtf files?

If reality is merely a vibrating mass of infinite probability and we merely think this illusion we are interacting with is solid and has power over us, why don't we simply tune our awareness to encompass a broader spectrum of frequencies, see what this cosmic game really is (a game, something to be creative with, a formwork to express our selves) and stop killing each other, humiliating each other, and generally trying to stomp on others to prove that we are right and someone else is wrong?

After all, an atom, the building block of 'solid' matter, is composed almost entirely of space and cloouds of infinite possibility.

I tried spotlight and mac help but nothing came up.

Cheers.

ClockWork
5th February 2007, 07:21 PM
Wow, thanks a lot. This whole osx experience is getting better and better.

Okay here's some more questions (I'm not going to stop untill I stump the lot a ya..)

Where are drivers kept? I want to put the printer drivers onto a disk without re downloading (cos I'm on dial up). I used spotlight but only got a download history list, it didn't say where they were put.

If you originally downloaded the printer drivers, they tend to wind up on your Desktop! Shift them into a folder and any other useful stuff you collect from the internet, in a special folder.

What's a quick way to see file sizes in Finder? When I select a file in Finder, the bottom status bar tells me how much room is left on the computer's HDD but not how big the file size is. I have to 'get info' to check it's size. It would be so much easier if the file size was displayed in the status bar along with the HDD available space.

Quickest way: Click on a file or folder or whatever, to highlight it and then press Apple-Command :cmd: key and the I key for Information.

If you want to know these things ALL the time, open any window, and hit Apple-Command :cmd: and J, and under Show columns, tick the Size box.

Then click once on the All windows radio button up the top of that View Options window.

In the Size Column of any window, it will now display: Size.

Close both windows, click once on your Desktop, and hit the Apple-Command :cmd: and J keys again. Click the a tick in the: Keep arranged by box, and click on the Name button to scroll down to: Size. You can also click the: Show item info box - and things on your Desktop will tell you more about themselves.

PLAY... with the View Options window.

In Finder, under the labels tab, it says "use thesse label names" and then lists all the colours. How do I use them and what are they good for?

Good for assigning anything you deem important in some way, via a special colour. Green might be Personal. Orange might be Fun. Handy.

Can Windows open .rtf files?

Yes.

If reality is merely a vibrating mass of infinite probability and we merely think this illusion we are interacting with is solid and has power over us, why don't we simply tune our awareness to encompass a broader spectrum of frequencies, see what this cosmic game really is (a game, something to be creative with, a formwork to express our selves) and stop killing each other, humiliating each other, and generally trying to stomp on others to prove that we are right and someone else is wrong?

After all, an atom, the building block of 'solid' matter, is composed almost entirely of space and cloouds of infinite possibility.

I tried spotlight and mac help but nothing came up.

For the true answer to this mystery - one must asks the molluscs. Only they know of the harmonic fribulations that make all matter merely slow vibrations and solid music, and that we are all the dreams of ourselves.

CW

mjankor
5th February 2007, 07:29 PM
Drivers are rarely an issue with OS X. If you find you have to download one then keep a copy of its installer. Generally the drivers that come with the system cover pretty well most things.

Use list view to look at lots of sizes (and make sure calculate all sizes is turned on under view options (command + j)) or use option+command+i to bring up a dynamic info window.

Windows should definitely be able to open RTF files but if you're using Pages, Text edit or quite a few other programs you can save in word format as well.

Labels are a way to visually tag files and folders. You can use them to denote urgency, completion or other attributes.

I wanted to use them lately to denote files that I'd finished working on but unfortunately they don't exist in Windows.

myamad
5th February 2007, 09:08 PM
Oh, I get it, you have to set 'view lists' for each window seperately. And there's a label thingy in 'info' window and that's how it highlights items, well whadda ya know?
Word doc. sounds allright but then I'd have to buy word for mac. Luckily I only need basic processing at the momnent. Pages? I'll check that out another time.
Thanks everyone.
Cheers.

But I was just wondering, how do I....?

Them molluscs are smart creatures, they remind me of eggs, which are also highly intelligent. You do know a chicken is just the egg's way of reproducing itself.

ClockWork
5th February 2007, 09:17 PM
Oh yeah - and while on the topic of folders and what you can do with them, here's a neat yet often forgotten one:

Open Macintosh HD -> open Users folder -> open YourHome -> and in there you'll see all those neat and ready to go folders, like: Documents, Pictures, Music and so forth.

Try following for folly:

Click down on the Documents folder and drag it into the far right section of your Dock, right next to where the silver Trash basket is, let go - and ping, it will sit there as a short-cut to the Documents folder. :)

Try this with your Music, Pictures and Movies folders. If you look closely at that right portion of the Dock, you'll notice down the very bottom, a tiny split mark in it. Everything to the left of that split mark can become an alias to an Application by simply dragging the Application down there and dropping it in - and everything to the right of that split can become an alias to a Folder, or a common Document, or an Internet URL.

You can also remove items from the Dock by quickly clicking down on them and then pushing them up into the space above and letting go - and it will literally vanish in a puff of white smoke.

Another way to get at both Applications or recently opened files, is to click once on the blue Apple Menu, and scroll down to: Recent Items - and poing! - to the right, a pop-out menu will appear to get at firstly Applications, and then under all those, Recently opened Documents.

If you want to make Recent Items contain a bigger list of Recent Stuff, click once on your blue Apple Menu - scroll down to: System Preferences... and in the System Preferences pane, click once on: Apperance.

At the bottom of the Appearance window, it says: Number of Recent Items - and then a button for Applications and a button for Documents. Click on both and scroll to: 50. Quit System Preferences (Apple-Command :cmd: and Q ).

It will then begin adding more Apps and more recent Documents to that Recent Items Menu list.

cw

mjankor
5th February 2007, 11:15 PM
Oh, I get it, you have to set 'view lists' for each window seperately. And there's a label thingy in 'info' window and that's how it highlights items, well whadda ya know?
Word doc. sounds allright but then I'd have to buy word for mac. Luckily I only need basic processing at the momnent. Pages? I'll check that out another time.
Thanks everyone.
Cheers.

But I was just wondering, how do I....?

Them molluscs are smart creatures, they remind me of eggs, which are also highly intelligent. You do know a chicken is just the egg's way of reproducing itself.

Pretty much, though you can also set global views using the "all windows" toggle at the top of the view options panel.

You don't have to buy Word. The basic Text editor (called Textedit) will save and open word files. Just don't expect it to do well on crazy word docs with lots of integrated drawings and spreadsheets and things.

Finally you can set labels on files using the file menu, info panel or right clicking.

ClockWork
5th February 2007, 11:26 PM
Still - eggs don't last long - though neither do chickens, yet I suppose a chicken sitting down to breakfast to eat a hard boiled egg with a spoon, might be a true "chicken and egg" situation.

If you have, at some point, access to Broadband Internet, or have a friend with Broadband, you might try downloading the (at this point in time) utterly free NeoOffice 2.0 + its 2.1 Update (http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/download.php).

See interface here (http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/images/sample.jpg). Looks and acts very much like Microsoft Office 2004, yet has different names for Office Apps - ie: NeoWriter - in place of Microsoft Word.

On the other hand, I have different fingers, one could ask, which came first? The Tape Worm, or the Intestine?

cw

WonderBoy
6th February 2007, 08:36 AM
If you're wanting to copy a DVD onto your hard drive, you're never going to get a built in Apple app to do that (for obvious reasons). MacTheRipper works pretty well for this. Of course you're only going to use it with the DVDs you already own ;-)

myamad
6th February 2007, 01:29 PM
Text edit is good enough for me at the moment if I can use a word count. Is there one? I can't find it.

Neo office looks good, I like free stuff.

Mactheripper soounds good too.

I'll check them both out in about eight days when I get my computer back. It is being picked up today to be replaced because of a looud hum. But now, six days after I received it and rang apple to report it DOA, it doesn't sound as louod. I don't know if the sound has dropped or I have gotten used to it. I hope I wasn't being too pedantic and it is just the usual hum that it is supposed to make that I'm hearing! Oh, oh...

Chicken and eggs taste good, havn't tried tapeworm but.

Hey, where do I find the symbol on the keyboard that looks like a backward slash with a small horizontal line attached at the top and bottom? It is used with other keystrokes to show or hide the character palette.

what about the three quarter circle with an arrow in it pointing north west? It is used with command to hide/show front row.

How do you put the command symbol on the screen?

Thanks. :)

ClockWork
6th February 2007, 03:28 PM
Text edit is good enough for me at the moment if I can use a word count. Is there one? I can't find it.

Neo office looks good, I like free stuff.

Mactheripper soounds good too.

TextEdit is a just a leeeetle bit like Windows NotePad - a tad more sophisticated naturally, yet certainly don't expect all the features of a fully fledged word processor.

I'll check them both out in about eight days when I get my computer back. It is being picked up today to be replaced because of a looud hum. But now, six days after I received it and rang apple to report it DOA, it doesn't sound as louod. I don't know if the sound has dropped or I have gotten used to it. I hope I wasn't being too pedantic and it is just the usual hum that it is supposed to make that I'm hearing! Oh, oh...

85% of all work has to be done twice.

Chicken and eggs taste good, havn't tried tapeworm but.

You should definitely try it out. It's the gift that keeps on taking.

Hey, where do I find the symbol on the keyboard that looks like a backward slash with a small horizontal line attached at the top and bottom? It is used with other keystrokes to show or hide the character palette.

what about the three quarter circle with an arrow in it pointing north west? It is used with command to hide/show front row.

See handy lil' chart here (http://www.danrodney.com/mac/index.html).

How do you put the command symbol on the screen?

Ummm... you could take a picture of one on the chart... enlarge it vastly in Photoshop... and make it a part of your Desktop Picture. (Best to re-run that query).

cheers,

cw

myamad
9th February 2007, 10:38 PM
What I meant was how did you get that symbol into your post. I worked it out, you cut it from somewhere else (like that chart you gave a link to) and then pasted it. Originally I thought maybe you used a key stroke combo to do it or something. Man, my brain runs on dial up sometimes!

My mate emailed me today to say he might fork out 250 bucks for mac office ed. as he's starting a uni course. I told him about Neo Office. Have you had any problems with it? I just had a look at their website and I see it is a beta.

I'm not sure what features he needs. I told him to check out this forum. (Are you there mate?)

I think I'll start a new thread and ask people what their experiences with it were/are like.

ClockWork
9th February 2007, 11:59 PM
Ah - you mean zee leetle four looped pretzel symbol that stands for the : Apple-Command as a character directly "in" these posts.

Easy - the brilliant bovins at MacTalk have made ziz operation very simple - in order for folks here to describe a situation involving key commands.

Just click the Add Reply button as you have done here to post up your response messages, and when the Add Post window appears for you to type your message into - look directly to your right, and you will see a small set of "Smilies" - yes?

Bottom right in this set of Smilies, there is a :cmd: symbol that you can just click, thus making it very simple to express any operation involving the Apple-Command key, rather than laboriously having to type out the word: Apple-Command each and every time you make reference to it.

:cmd: :cmd: cheers :cmd: :cmd:

cw

ClockWork
10th February 2007, 12:37 AM
Also - if your friend gets Microsoft Office 2004 Student and Teacher Edition - comprised of: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage - for the said $250 - or perhaps $30 off if you buy from City Software (http://www.citysoftware.com.au/Browse/bad77a9425844c30a1a3e64de3f986ac001ItemDetail.aspx ) - you could always halve the costs and go 50/50 with him on it - at $110 each, as the package comes with three Serial Numbers, which means it can be legally installed on three separate Apple computers.

(cheaper again @ $73.00 if you guys find a third person)

cheers,

cw