PDA

View Full Version : Odd 68040 in a 580

Velociraptors
5th March 2004, 08:29 PM
A friend found this in his 580
(edit - turns out the motherboard was thought to be a 580 - but the number on it comes up as a Revision A LC630 board...)

http://www.danamania.com/temp/lc040.jpg

A laptop style CFQ packaged 68040, on a board, in the normal old everyday cpu socket of the 580.

Anyone recognise it as being out of one of the 040 laptops perhaps? a 190? Duo?. It's the same type chip package as in my powerbook 540c, but the board underneath is different.

Curious!

dana

Byrd
6th March 2004, 10:38 AM
I've found the same chip in a 580 as well. Can this chip be removed and placed into a PB?

Currawong
6th March 2004, 08:38 PM
I thought they were soldered in Powerbooks, but I guess I'm wrong?

Kreats
7th March 2004, 02:27 AM
There's a good reason why that cpu/mobo might look familiar bYrd :)

It's the one I grabbed from you the other day!

the_argon
7th March 2004, 09:45 AM
Intel used to do this with old 486 cpu's

No idea why, maybe they had a huge surplus of laptop chips or something or it could they could be used to reduce power consuption/heat.

... or it could have just been a fad of the era.

Byrd
7th March 2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Kreats@Mar 7 2004, 02:27 AM
There's a good reason why that cpu/mobo might look familiar bYrd :)

It's the one I grabbed from you the other day!
Hmm bloody hell that's where it's gone :) BTW I got that job @ Boroondara CHS in Hawthorn - across the road from Swinnie! Dumping more stuff will be a much easier task now! :D

JB

Kreats
9th March 2004, 02:10 AM
Hmm bloody hell that's where it's gone BTW I got that job @ Boroondara CHS in Hawthorn - across the road from Swinnie! Dumping more stuff will be a much easier task now!

Good one! Might be getting some more interesting cards coming my way shortly that you may be interested in also.

Back on track - I have a few AMD cpus where they are embedded versions mounted on socket boards, specifically a 386 and an kingston turbochip (a 5x86 133), so it does happen... just seems to be uncommon in the mac realm.