PDA

View Full Version : I Love Lamp is back, baby!

marc
31st January 2007, 02:15 PM
I Love Lamp version 2 is finished and ready for download!

http://islayer.com/images/software/screenshots/ilovelamp.jpg

Head over the I Love Lamp (http://islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=20) product page to grab your copy.

For a detailed explanation of why it disappeared, where development is at now and some early concepts, please read our blog entry (http://islayer.com/blog/?p=99).

What’s new in version 2.0
- All known bugs fixed, including the square masking bug
- Two new skins added, black and retro white
- Now uses WebKit’s built in Quartz Composer module

Disko
31st January 2007, 02:19 PM
http://users.on.net/~disko/lovelamp.png
WHOOP! :D

Nicely done chaps, nicely done. :)

iPirate
31st January 2007, 02:21 PM
Its not working...

marc
31st January 2007, 02:24 PM
Its not working...
Details?

Edit: are you running OS X 10.4.7 or later?

BigAD
31st January 2007, 02:49 PM
Yay.

Good to see it back in action.

MrJesseRoss
31st January 2007, 03:16 PM
Looks great! I've always wanted a Lava Lamp...

Georgina EG
31st January 2007, 03:34 PM
I never lost mine but I've downloaded the new version which seems to be exactly the same. But what should I do with the I Love Lamp 2.0 zip icon?

Disko
31st January 2007, 03:36 PM
if you've got it running in your dashboard Georgina, you can trash the zip file. :)

Georgina EG
31st January 2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks Matt, done.

marc
31st January 2007, 03:44 PM
I never lost mine but I've downloaded the new version which seems to be exactly the same.
From the outside it looks almost identical (there are 2 new skins though).

There's some big changes to the inside of the widget, that should have well and truly squashed the masking bug we were having on some macs.

sunrisesister
31st January 2007, 03:46 PM
YES YES! OH GOD, YES!!! :D Yeh baby!

Wheels
31st January 2007, 04:01 PM
Great news!! Was really disappointed when that OS X Update crashed mine a while ago - thank-you very much for the new version!

STK
31st January 2007, 04:54 PM
Great work! the old one was kindov screwed up :)

[MREVO8]
31st January 2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry, I have to speak my mind about this.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard (not on your part)... Everyone can download your 2D representation of two heated liquids - which is merely an alignment of pixels in a certain form, as long as people buy a real lava lamp.

I think they're really pushing the terms of their design patent... Nowhere in your widget do you use heated wax or oil.

I would have told them to go stick a lava lamp right in a place where it would provide adequate lighting...

hawker
31st January 2007, 05:12 PM
next Apple will announce the newton 2.0

marc
31st January 2007, 05:24 PM
;251864']Sorry, I have to speak my mind about this.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard (not on your part)... Everyone can download your 2D representation of two heated liquids - which is merely an alignment of pixels in a certain form, as long as people buy a real lava lamp.

I think they're really pushing the terms of their design patent... Nowhere in your widget do you use heated wax or oil.

I would have told them to go stick a lava lamp right in a place where it would provide adequate lighting...
While I agree that we might have won a legal battle, the outcome we have right now doesn't need to involve layers at all... we have a nice agreement that states if we get a certain amount of sales via the link on the widget, then we can work with LavaWorld to continue develop the widget. The agreement was actually our idea, not theirs.

This also means we CAN use some of their patented designs.

We don't require anyone to purchase a lamp, but if you like the widget and would have considered donating, then we're asking you buy a lamp for yourself instead (which is probably better for you than just giving the money to us).

In a world where everyone's suing everyone, I'm quite proud that we have an agreement that means something positive for all involved.

grfxninja
31st January 2007, 05:49 PM
While I can sort of see their point, it's still pretty bloody rediculous!.

Anyway, good work with the widget ;)

The Architect.mac
31st January 2007, 07:28 PM
awesome work guys and well done on reaching an agreement that suits yourselves as developers, Lava Lamp company and the users...

looking forward to the iStat menus beta too...

Cheers