PDA

View Full Version : Eject Key

STK
28th January 2007, 07:40 PM
Can I turn only the eject key off? I keep on clicking it and it's getting on my nerve :cool:

mwot
28th January 2007, 07:42 PM
you mean the eject icon in Finder?? otherwise, pry the key off your keyboard! :P

STK
28th January 2007, 07:45 PM
The Keyboard one :)

stefanlod
28th January 2007, 07:47 PM
I agree - I always hit the eject key when I want to push delete. Mind you, I usually keep my drive empty, so it's not as much as an issue to me! :p

stefanlod
28th January 2007, 07:53 PM
Okay - had a look at this Apple (http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2062.html) page; on ejecting:

7) How do I disable the Eject Key?
There is currently no supported way to disable the Eject Key. You can however, prevent any new inserted media from being mounted. See the section: "How do I prevent new media (e.g. CDs, DVDs, iPods, USB/Firewire hard drives, etc.) from becoming mounted?" for more details

Sorry to spoil the fun! You could break it off and use the menu extra instead if you were desperate.

STK
28th January 2007, 07:59 PM
Theres bound to be an app out there somewhere :) The problem is where? I might just disable those controls.

[MREVO8]
28th January 2007, 08:03 PM
Superglue.

STK
28th January 2007, 08:06 PM
I may want it back sooner or later :D And I just discovered I cant disable it because it's no F#. ARGH

mwot
28th January 2007, 08:07 PM
The Keyboard one :)

lol. srry.

you must be talking about a laptop kb then. can't say i share your grief :D

Casey
28th January 2007, 08:18 PM
Interesting, I've never accidentally hit my eject key before, and anyway - you kind of have to hold it down for a bit before it does it's thing right...?

Are you hitting, and accidentally holding it down until it ejects your drive?

Casey.

STK
28th January 2007, 08:27 PM
On a macbook pro you click it just like any other key when typing and it ejects! unlike my iBook. for them you need to hold it down

MactrixAUS
28th January 2007, 08:34 PM
I would also love an App for this. I don't really hit my eject key often (MB Keyboard) but would like a function so you have to hold it.

rtc
28th January 2007, 08:36 PM
Creat a custom keyboard layout that is tha same as the normal apple one for your KB, but without the eject key (i.e. leave your eject key input unmapped)

Unfortunatly I don't know how to do this in OSX but try your friend google, there's probably shareware apps ("utilities") out there that will do it.

ClockWork
28th January 2007, 09:23 PM
Think Different.

Think Simple.

Got a strip of blue-tac?

When book is "off" wrap the eject key in a thick layer of blue-tac. Your fingers and / or eyes will keep away from the distracting colour / texture of the key.

STK
28th January 2007, 09:29 PM
Blue tack will stick to screen :) Ill just have to get used to it. :)

vargz
28th January 2007, 09:57 PM
On a macbook pro you click it just like any other key when typing and it ejects! unlike my iBook. for them you need to hold it down

Yeah on the Powerbook you have to hold it down (not just tap it) to eject the drive. I only realised this recently and thought my eject button wasn't working :P

If you're hitting it cos you're aiming at the wrong button perhaps you need to put a sticker on it so your eyes can single it out as the eject button. Once you have 'trained' yourself, then remove the sticker.

ClockWork
28th January 2007, 10:40 PM
yeah... you... take off the blue-tac when you need to use the Eject button or when... closing the screen...

(complex stuff naturally)