PDA

View Full Version : Can Appleworks direct directly send an email?

jdagis
28th January 2007, 02:33 PM
Is it possible to send a document from applworks directly as an email. I've checked the button bar, but can't find one other than to open the Mail program itself.

In MYOB I have a button that when activated instantly sends that invoice via Mail, or by the email program of your choice.

Currawong
28th January 2007, 02:42 PM
As far as I know it can't. Only FileMaker has a built-in mailer to the best of my knowledge.

plod2
28th January 2007, 04:20 PM
I don't have appleworks, but does it work going through services

soulman
28th January 2007, 05:38 PM
It could be done with AppleScript without too much difficulty - there might even be a script already out there for this - but it is not something I would recommend for the same reason that emailing Word docs is a bad idea. There is a further complication with AppleWorks in that it produces files with resource forks which is a Mac only thing. You would at least want to zip them I would think, to ensure they are transmitted properly.

I would recommend either saving them as PDF or just emailing them directly as PDF from the Print dialog.

grfxninja
28th January 2007, 05:44 PM
I could be wrong here, but I think jdagis wants the layout or document to be sent as an email, not an attached document?

I don't have Appleworks anymore so I can't check

jdagis
28th January 2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks soulman, I've been saving them as PDF's and sending them as attachments. I just attempted to to do what you said, but I couldn't find a facility in the print dialogue box to email it directly, only a button to save it as a pdf file.

soulman
28th January 2007, 06:39 PM
If you are using something earlier than 10.4, the facility is there but is not hooked up. If so, try this little jigger I wrote, called PDF Services (http://www.foodoo.sunreal.com.au/kite/pdfps.html). The instructions will hopefully tell you how to use it - it's fairly straightforward I hope. Let me know if you have any hassles with it. Hope it's useful.

If you're using 10.4 it should be in the same menu as Save as PDF.

jdagis
28th January 2007, 10:40 PM
What a terrific little program—kiteware is too cheap, I'd gladly pay for an excellent program like this. I'm not sure what it's worth, but it's certainly a 'time saving must have' for anyone who sends out quotes and material lists, like in the building industry, where you don't want the format to change when arriving at different destinations. I'd imagine any format conscious business would welcome this little gem.

To date, I've been saving them as PDF's and sending them as attachments—very time consuming, so should you decide to start charging for it, PM me, I'm happy to be your first paying customer.
Thanks heaps—John D

soulman
28th January 2007, 11:19 PM
Hey, thanks! Very kind of you. :) Glad it did the trick.

I do very much appreciate your offer to pay for it but I am more than happy with the licensing "fee" so feel free to spread the goodwill in whatever way works best for you.