PDA

View Full Version : VLC

pipsqeek
5th March 2004, 03:33 PM
Finally,

VLC Player has become more responsive. It use to run like a slug on my iBook 900Mhz.

It ran just as bad on my mates 15 inch PB (8xxMhz G4).

And I don't get that annoying VLC Player has quit unexpectedly, Hit cancel and keep enjoying the movie.

About time,

Thanks VLC Player guys.

Things are looking up.

Steve

jameso
6th March 2004, 08:30 AM
OK, it gets better. The new version of vlc (7.1 and 7.1a) has a openGL output option that reduces the cpu load dramatically on Quartz Extreme enabled macs . It is burried but can be found if you open the preferences, expand "Modules", expand "Interface", click on "mac os x". You should see "Use OpenGL", if not, tick the advanced box on the bottom left of the preferences window. Apparently it has a few more bugs than the Quicktime output as it is still being tested. I also haven't done any speed tests myself as i have no QE enabled macs

jameso

[Edit because i suck]

pipsqeek
6th March 2004, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the tip.

I was so excited that the thing loaded up a movie so quick and didn't bring up the typical errors such as the 5 second lag bullshit (because apparently my CPU is too slow) and always bringing up the unexpectedly quit error even though everything is working fine.

I shall enable the openGL stuff, as I assume I have an iBook 900 that seems to have no trouble with the great app switching capabilities of Expose.

Steve