PDA

View Full Version : Safari keeps prompting for keychain password

mwot
27th January 2007, 10:19 AM
I know next to nothing about what keychain passwords are, but Safari is adamant that I key one in - and I don't know what the pasword is! (And I've never had it prompt for one before either.) This is happening just on the Macbook. I can click Cancel and be on my merry way, but you can appreciate how annoying that would be every so often.

What do I need to do?

Currawong
27th January 2007, 10:45 AM
The Keychain, which you can look at in /Applications/Utilities/Keychain, stores things like web form passwords and logins to other computers. The default password is the same as your computer's account password.

Try typing in your account password when it prompts you. Then whenever you login to a site like MacTalk, Safari will ask you if you want to remember the password. It's a very handy feature.

vicmeldrew
27th January 2007, 10:50 AM
..............Then whenever you login to a site like MacTalk, Safari will ask you if you want to remember the password. It's a very handy feature.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need to enable:

Safari > Preferences > Autofill > Username Names and passwords.

As it is off by default.

mwot
27th January 2007, 10:54 AM
thanks, Curra. Somehow or rather, they keychain pw differed from my normal login pw. after about 6 or so attempts, i seem to have hit on the winner ...

... can you reset your keychain pw?

Also, is this something I will have to continue to do??

mwot
27th January 2007, 10:56 AM
Oh, now my tabs aren't working?! :cmd: +T should call up a new tab, right? lol.

EDIT: nvm. found it in preferences.

feeze
27th January 2007, 11:04 AM
thanks, Curra. Somehow or rather, they keychain pw differed from my normal login pw. after about 6 or so attempts, i seem to have hit on the winner ...

... can you reset your keychain pw?

Also, is this something I will have to continue to do??

Goto applications -> utilities -> keychain access.

If the padlock on the top left is locked you will need to unlock the keychain (do this by clicking the padlock).

To change you pass word click;

edit -> change password for keychain "login"

Also under edit -> change settings, make sure that you do not have any of the "lock after inactivity/sleep" boxes checked.

mwot
27th January 2007, 11:09 AM
:thumbup: feeze

ok, another Q: can I import bookmarks from Firefox into Safari? I've tried the Import Bookmarks, but it won't let me select Firefox. Is there a bookmark file for FF that I should be selecting?

ClockWork
27th January 2007, 04:24 PM
Mwot,

If you continue to have problems with it asking you for your Password over and over, open Macintosh HD -> open Applications -> open Utilities -> locate and double-click on: Keychain Access.app

Click on first Menu Item: Keychain and scroll down to: Keychain First Aid.

Clicking on Verify and / or Repair Radio Buttons and the clicking the Start button, should resolve those kinds of repetitive Password questions in Safari.

To Import Bookmarks from Firefox into Safari, first open Firefox.

1. In Firefox, click on Menu Item: View and scroll down to: Sidebar and then across to: Bookmarks. Firefox's Sidebar will appear at left, containing all your Firefox Bookmarks.

2. Then open Safari. Under it's Back button, you'll see a little symbol that looks like an open book. Click on it. Doing so will most likely open the list of your Bookmarks Bar. So - on the left column, click once on the Bookmarks Menu.

3. At this junction, you'll probably want to have your Safari window and your Firefox window, side by side, so it's best to do so now. Resize both and place them side by side.

4. You can then literally drag 'n drop each Firefox Bookmark from its Sidebar, into Safari's Bookmarks Menu list. Unfortunately, you can only do this one by one - as far as I can see, as attempting to multiple-click many items in Firefox, just takes you straight to those URLs.

But at least this allows you to choose those Firefox Bookmarks.

cheers,

cw