PDA

View Full Version : Wake up and Download

MacNut
25th January 2007, 08:19 AM
Has anyone got any idea if there is any way to do the following Please.

wake up the computer after midnight, start up iTunes and download the latest Podcasts.

I know iTune can be set to download the podcasts but it is a matter of timing because I don't want to get choked back to 64Kb on peak time after three weeks when I still have plenty of space left in offpeak downloads ( and I don't want to have to set the alarm)

I tried automator but could not see a way but that could just be because I have not been using it before.

Any help would be gratefully accepted :confused:

bartron
25th January 2007, 08:27 AM
go to 'energy saver' and click on 'schedule' in the lower right. You can then set a wake up time for your computer.

If you start iTunes before you sleep your mac then it should start downloading available podcasts once the computer wakes up again.

Bartron

MacNut
25th January 2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks heaps. Such a simple I should have thought of it but I knew someone would.. Great job :thumbup:

Bart Smastard
25th January 2007, 08:45 AM
I can confirm Bartron's suggestion does work. I have used that method many times for iTunes podcasts... also works nicely for BT's ;)

uncyherb
25th January 2007, 09:08 AM
I can confirm Bartron's suggestion does work. I have used that method many times for iTunes podcasts... also works nicely for BT's ;)

I've used Azureus for controlling BT's when I need to. There is a plug-in available that allows you to set different download/upload speeds depending on a schedule. So I used to set it to only download/upload and low speed during the day, and open the floodgates when the Optus bonus bandwidth time kicked in during the wee-small hours.

Peter Wells
25th January 2007, 09:22 AM
and if you want itunes to download automatically at a specific time, just change your computers clock to that time, hit "update podcasts", set to check every day, then reset your computers clock.

the "fake time" yu set will be remember by itunes as the time you want it to auto-download.

morpheme2004
25th January 2007, 10:25 AM
and if you want itunes to download automatically at a specific time, just change your computers clock to that time, hit "update podcasts", set to check every day, then reset your computers clock.

the "fake time" yu set will be remember by itunes as the time you want it to auto-download.

Now that's brilliant. Will the computer wake from sleep though or do you still have to change energy saver settings?