PDA

View Full Version : iTunes spitting my CD back out?

warren21
19th December 2004, 05:33 PM
Hi,

I've been impoting songs all afternoon into iTunes and have noticed that some CD's get spat back out of the optical drive.

When I put the CD in the drive makes some noise as though it's trying to read the disk and when nothin happens it comes back out again?

Has anyone had this trouble?

BTW I am on an iMac G5.

Warren.

Disko
19th December 2004, 05:36 PM
Some CDs do that. It really frustrates me. I know of no solution. :/

warren21
19th December 2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks Disko.

Quamen
19th December 2004, 06:45 PM
quick solution.....put them into a PC and not a mac.

I found that works for most of the audio CD's that my powerbook spits out. They work fine on my PC. Tis strange.

jobe
19th December 2004, 11:06 PM
first off re the pc vs mac thing. I've also noticed that my ibook can be a little more tempermental about slightly scratched CDs that work fine on a PC.

But if they're new CDs then I doubt thats your problem. A lot of new "anti-piracy" measures that record companies are using now are to try to copy protect a cd to prevent it from being copied and burt. The obvious downside of this is that you will always have trouble playing them in a computer and some of the more recent version of this copy protection reder a CD completely useless in a computer. It shits me to tears soo much that I've stopped buying music CDs. I refuse to carry a discman just to play these stupid CDs when I have a beautiful Ipod. the record companies need a serious wakeup call. I sick of having CDs that I just cannot rip.

However, there is software freely available which can circumvent some of these copy protection measure and allow you to rip the CD. But afaik they are few and far between and i've only seen them for PCs. Haven't really been looking much recently though since I stopped buying music Cds.

hawker
19th December 2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah I've noticed my iMac has the biggest dummies spits over scratched and not quite perfect CD's. But the most crazy thing is, that whenever I have problems with DVD's in my DVD player or in a friends PC, despite being labbled "Screwed" they still manage to work in my iMac.

Strange indeed!

yinyang
20th December 2004, 02:05 AM
if the cd has "D.A.T.A" somewhere on the outside of the case or on the inner portion of the disc, then it will invariably not play in a mac :angry:

(DATA - digital audio technology australia)

real PIA!!

downsys
20th December 2004, 02:27 AM
if all else fails, get a Griffin iMic, put the CD in a proper CD player, record it through there.

AusMac
20th December 2004, 05:56 AM
the only CD"s I buy are blank.

MizuInOz
20th December 2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by warren21@Dec 19 2004, 05:33 PM
Hi,

I've been impoting songs all afternoon into iTunes and have noticed that some CD's get spat back out of the optical drive.

When I put the CD in the drive makes some noise as though it's trying to read the disk and when nothin happens it comes back out again?

Has anyone had this trouble?

BTW I am on an iMac G5.

Warren.
Hi Warren,

I was having a similar problem with my 17" PB and thought I really had a problem - even did the magic marker trick with a coupls CDs... but to no avail. Then I went to the Apple Support site and looked up "CDs fail to load" and found all sorts of solutions... the one that finally worked for me was reseting my Power Management - it is a last resort solution, by the way... EASY and just follow the directions...

BTW, my symptoms were that any disk I inserted (CD or DVD - blank or "filled") would not mount... That is why I finally did the power management thingo...

So, your milage may vary, do not try this at home and read all of the warranty directions before you use this in a microwave oven... and no matter what you do - do not load a Mac disk in a PC... the thing could catch a virus or something... ;)

Hope that helps or at least puts a smile back on your face...

Ozi
20th December 2004, 09:48 AM
Moved to the iTunes specific section of the forum. :)