PDA

View Full Version : Cannot send mail, but can receive..

speedway boy
21st January 2007, 11:07 PM
I'm currently in England and I'm having grief with my mail. I'm at my cousins place who has a netgear wireless router. I can connect happily to the net, I can receive mail, but I can't send it. I have been able to send mail twice. For no apparent reason. But for the rest o the time it says it can't send mail.

I'm using Mail.
I have an optus account and my own webspace/email address, both these acounts can't send mail.

Using connection doctor I get "connection and login server succeeded"

but on "mail.optusnet.com.au

or my "mail.(mywebspace).com.au" I get
"could not connect to this SMTP server"

The weird thing is that out of all the times I've been trying it has worked twice, but I've had no luck now for hours.

Any ideas, thankyou!!!

scottgrot
21st January 2007, 11:13 PM
sounds like you need to change your smtp settings.

choose Mail >> Preferences, then select Accounts

Select the account you are using and where you see outgoing mail server click on
server settings

Make sure you are using your mail.optusnet.com.au smtp server and
under authentication, select password, and type in your optus username and password.

If it doesn't help, we'll have to go a little more in depth.
s

The Architect.mac
21st January 2007, 11:15 PM
you may need to use the outgoing smtp server of the ISP that you are connecting to at your cousins place in England...

speedway boy
21st January 2007, 11:20 PM
sounds like you need to change your smtp settings.

choose Mail >> Preferences, then select Accounts

Select the account you are using and where you see outgoing mail server click on
server settings

Make sure you are using your mail.optusnet.com.au smtp server and
under authentication, select password, and type in your optus username and password.

If it doesn't help, we'll have to go a little more in depth.
s

yeah done all that. Tried every account server setting for the email. But all failed.

"The Architect.mac you may need to use the outgoing smtp server of the ISP that you are connecting to at your cousins place in England..."

mmm...I'll see if I can find info about that. Its weird cause I usually can send mail from my laptop from anywhere at home. Does that mean its an OS thing?

The Architect.mac
21st January 2007, 11:26 PM
no, some ISP's just block certain ports, like iiNet here in Aus, you just need the smtp of the ISP you are connecting to and it will be gravy, trust me...

scottgrot
21st January 2007, 11:37 PM
If you can find your external IP address (whatismyip.com), then do a whois on that ip (type in to your address field in safari -- whois.sc/ip_address ) and that should come up with some stuff. In that stuff will be some email addresses. so_and_so@bt.com, for example. So bt.com is the owner of that ip, so then at a guess, you can use either mail.bt.com, or smtp.bt.com (there are probably much easier ways than this...)

However, when I was last in the UK, any bt.com smtp had to have authentication. So I couldn't send emails via mail either.

Other things you can do is to try different ports. try port 2525

speedway boy
21st January 2007, 11:40 PM
it will be gravy, trust me...

hehe... ah yes its good to be back here, hearing all those expressions again....
I'll give it a whirl and report back.

Brains
22nd January 2007, 12:15 AM
Another thought: sign on for one of those free Gmail accounts, then you can use google's extensive external mail support to send stuff.

B.