PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy music here?

benny gsr
18th December 2004, 11:01 AM
This is a rather naive question, but with no itunes music store in aus yet, where can you buy music from?

Any good sites? THanks

As an aside, do those little 128mb MP3 players (which are better to exercise with) like creative and conias etc work with itunes as well? or do they come with their own software?

tranp
18th December 2004, 11:06 AM
When I used to have a Creative MuVo MP3 player, iTunes would pick it up right away and file transfers worked flawlessly. A MuVo would work well, has nice features.

btw, what kind of gsr do you drive? :D

Radar
18th December 2004, 11:49 AM
Give allofmp3.com a whirl. It's a Russian site, and while being legally questionable, the Sydney Morning Herald could find nothing truely illegal with it in current Aus law. It's 0.01$ per meg in any format you desire, from very low 64 bit to CD Quality. And it's also got a bloody wide range of songs.

benny gsr
19th December 2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks for that !

I'll check it out.

Tranp:
I drive a 95 cc lancer gsr. Pretty much stock except k&n filter, 16 inch wheels.
I love it !!!

scruffie
19th December 2004, 08:50 AM
Yup, allofmp3 is great.

I think i read somewhere on their site that they might be increasing their fees from 1c per mb to 2c per mb!

OMG. Breaking bank now! :D

sillydog701
19th December 2004, 09:34 AM
You can still try to get yourself an iTMS (US) account, such as via Gift Certificates or PayPal (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2938).

Songs are not as cheap as allofmp3.com, but cheaper than Telstra's BigPond Music (which is Windows only).

thomas
19th December 2004, 09:53 AM
Been using allofmp3.com for ages and its great. Much cheaper than iTunes will be when it finally opens in Aus, and you can choose pretty much any format and bit rate you like (192 AAC's are bliss).

Had the odd issue with tags not being fully complete, but only happened a few times....

benny gsr
19th December 2004, 02:26 PM
i just had a look at allomp3.

It looks to me like its one of "those too good to be true" sites. You guys are talking about cents per kilobyte, but the only pay options I have seen are prepaid by the month ?

Im usually a bit sceptical of leaving credit card details.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

fompsweeva
19th December 2004, 02:52 PM
That site is selling illegal recordings.

Search for "Nirvana", click on the link "Nirvana (US)" and you'll see the Outcesticide series listed, which are bootlegs.

I think someone with access to a lot of CD's and a lot of server space is making some big illegal cash.

Radar
21st December 2004, 04:45 PM
According to current Australian Copyright law, it isn't illegal to use AllOfMp3.com at all, however, it isn't entirely legal either. The SMH did some big research and found that it lies in a grey area.

In reality, the artists are probably not getting any money from them at all, and it's probably funding terrorism through the Russian mafia. It does sound too good to be true, but I've been using it for a good 6 months, with no problems at all, period.

CarbonRods
21st December 2004, 06:36 PM
I've been using allofmp3.com for about 2 years without any problems. The few times I've needed to use customer support I've found the service to be remarkably good. According to an article I found on the Las Vegas Mercury, allofmp3.com is run out of Chechnya.

If you have access to a PC use their download manager [http://stat.allofmp3.com/explorer.shtml], it's a vast improvement on using a web browser to download their music files and it also comes with a very useful catalogue function.

I always buy mp3's recorded to alt preset standard and the quality of those files is very good.

And yes, the price doubles on 15 January.

CR

iSlayer
22nd December 2004, 07:48 AM
ive also used allofmp3.com
has been perfect on every occasion
you cant beat the prices.
gotta love those russion laws :)

ajs
22nd December 2004, 09:57 AM
I don't get this - why do you choose to use a site/service that deals with illegal bootleg recordings and one in which the artists do not receive their due royalties?

Personally, I'd prefer to pay a bit more and know that it is a bonafide operation rather than condone dishonest behaviour. This type of behaviour baffles me.

iSlayer
22nd December 2004, 09:57 AM
cos its not illegal.
the bootlegs are but the rest of the stuff is perfectly legal in russia

ajs
22nd December 2004, 10:09 AM
Geez - I just re-read my post within this thread - never has an avatar looked so apt. ;)

hoony
22nd December 2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by benny gsr@Dec 19 2004, 08:49 AM
Tranp:
I drive a 95 cc lancer gsr. Pretty much stock except k&n filter, 16 inch wheels.
I love it !!!
Nice - I drive a starion. Go the mitsu turbos!

ajs
22nd December 2004, 10:10 AM
Yeah - but you don't live in Russia - why should you benefit from those laws?

thomas
22nd December 2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by benny gsr@Dec 19 2004, 02:26 PM
Im usually a bit sceptical of leaving credit card details.

Am I missing something ?
You don't have to give the russian site any information, as you can pay through PayPal.

If you're having moral issues about artist royalties etc, just go and buy the CD (like i do). It's much more rewarding to have the artwork etc. Plus you won't lose all your music when your powerbook gets dropped/ripped off/etc.....

ajs
22nd December 2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by thomas@Dec 22 2004, 10:35 AM
You don't have to give the russian site any information, as you can pay through PayPal.

If you're having moral issues about artist royalties etc, just go and buy the CD (like i do). It's much more rewarding to have the artwork etc. Plus you won't lose all your music when your powerbook gets dropped/ripped off/etc.....
That's what I do currently - and when a legal avenue opens in Australia that allows iTunes purchases I'll happily partake in that as well.

Believe me, I'm moving to China in the new year and am dreading the fact that it is so rampant with piracy. I'm ripping my entire CD collection to the PB before I go and also storing up my DVDs to take over. I seriously prefer owning "legit" stuff (I'm sure part of that has to do with the artwork and liner notes, etc.) - go figure. :huh:

snax
22nd December 2004, 02:18 PM
when i was a teenager i bought HEAPS of music. now all my cds are sitting in a case, rotting away. i don't even know where they are really.

itunes has destroyed my motivation to buy a cd. i have replaced the cd component of my component stereo system with an iMac. i gave my discman away to a good home, and replaced it with an ipod. if i bought a cd these days, i'd rip the disc once and essentially throw it away.

i'd much rather download and have any cd i want in 30 minutes. that's instant music, with no effort required, for free.

i'm glad you have empathy for the artists, but that just isn't enough for me anymore.

CarbonRods
22nd December 2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by ajs@Dec 22 2004, 10:10 AM
Yeah - but you don't live in Russia - why should you benefit from those laws?
It's called globalisation.

It's good for you... The WTO and the IMF told us it's good for you.

We send all our jobs to China and India, and in return we get cheap music from Chechnya.

How else do you expect the unemployed to pay for their music?

;-)