PDA

View Full Version : How hot is this phone?

the_OM
19th January 2007, 02:41 PM
Look sort of familar to anyone?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/01/18/lgs-ke850-prada-official-iphone-says-wha/

Looks like LG beat Apple to the market with the hot looking touchscreen phones! Granted it doesn't have the ipod functionality or some other stuff that Apple showed off, but damn I think it looks hot.

applecollector
19th January 2007, 02:49 PM
Apple is so stupid when it comes to revealing a product. Far out apple have the product ready to ship if your going to release something not 5 months down the track.
It took LG less than a week to come out with something thats so close to the iphone it can easily be mistaken for one. Apple better either make the iphone alot cheaper or ad new feature by the time it ships!

The Architect.mac
19th January 2007, 02:54 PM
Release is to do with the FCC approvals, they wanted to announce t rather than have it announced through the official approvals...

phone looks good...

zbaron
19th January 2007, 02:55 PM
Wow! That model has got a large manly hand in the top photo! :eek:

mivory
19th January 2007, 02:57 PM
Seeing as how apple needs to get approval for using the iphone to broadcast, they figured details would leak out if they didn't reveal it. So they opted to reveal publicly themselves, then get the approval. I think they took the better option. Expect to see a few eyePhones and more from asia soon though... :-)

decryption
19th January 2007, 03:00 PM
I really doubt LG copied it in that short period of time. They must have been working on it while Apple was. If it took Apple 2.5 years, how long must it have taken LG?

applecollector
19th January 2007, 03:01 PM
a few days non stop thats why when you get it it's going to break within the first month like most cheap phones do.

zbaron
19th January 2007, 03:04 PM
except it's not a cheap phone

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/18/lg_shows_iphone-like_prada_phone/

chrissara
19th January 2007, 03:12 PM
Remember what Steve said.....we have 220 patents...and we will enforce them.

This is me speaking as a lawyer - I don't know what specific patentds they have, and whetehr they include design patents etc.

Keeps me in a job this kind of shit.

the_OM
19th January 2007, 03:12 PM
Apple must be pissed..... the great innovative company come out with a phone they say will turn the market on its head, and LG come out with almost the exact same one a week or so later and plan to release it 4 months before they do. As much as we're all Apple fans, you have to admit that's classic.

And Applecollector, you honestly think they knocked it up in a couple of weeks? LG phones are pretty damn good, their current chocolate ones are brilliant (IMO) and this one looks sensational. Steve Jobs must be screaming right now.

kim jong il
19th January 2007, 03:19 PM
Wow! That model has got a large manly hand in the top photo! :eek:

Quite disturbing really.

MactrixAUS
19th January 2007, 03:24 PM
Interesting. I agree with decryption, I doubt the LG could be released or even announced only days after the iPhone. Sure, they may have got ideas, but not from the keynote.

If they did copy, they must have had their whole phone unit working on it:p

iSlayer
19th January 2007, 03:27 PM
i cant believe people are comparing this to the iPhone.
If you read the specs and feature list of the lg you should quickly realise its basically a typical phone and doesnt come close to the iPhone feature wise in both hardware and software

MactrixAUS
19th January 2007, 03:30 PM
It's easy to compare it. It maybe a standard phone. but the actual concept and design can be applicable to the iPhone.

marc
19th January 2007, 03:30 PM
Remember what Steve said.....we have 220 patents...and we will enforce them.

This is me speaking as a lawyer - I don't know what specific patentds they have, and whetehr they include design patents etc.

Keeps me in a job this kind of shit.
I don't know for sure, but touch screen devices have been around for A LONG time, so I'm guessing the iPhone's patents are regarding UI, multi-touch and gestures, not just touch. The LG phone could quite possibly (and easily) not break anything Apple have patented.

I really doubt LG copied it in that short period of time. They must have been working on it while Apple was. If it took Apple 2.5 years, how long must it have taken LG?
Yeah. Give them some credit! I'm sure this had been on the road map for months or years.

Take a look at this: http://www.remotecentral.com/tsu7000/index.html
I think that was release at CES 2001. 2001. Let me say it again... 2001!!!!! That's the colour model, a black and white version was around before it. A small colour screen with touch UI.

The thing that makes the iPhone good isn't the features... it's the way the features exist. It's not a music player, it's a full video iPod that kills the current iPods. It's not a phone, it's a phone with a great UI and visual voicemail, easy conferencing etc.

Also, WebKit in a phone isn't anything new either... Nokia have a phone already out that uses it.

goldcoaster
19th January 2007, 03:32 PM
a few days non stop thats why when you get it it's going to break within the first month like most cheap phones do.

you have to be joking to suggest that it has been copied in a few days since apple showed their phone. There were pics of the LG 850 around a month ago.

MactrixAUS
19th January 2007, 03:36 PM
I knew they couldn't have whipped it out that fast. The points that you discuss are good marc and I agree. I have seen phones with touch before, I guess it's just that apple made out as if it was a world-breakthrough.

iSlayer
19th January 2007, 03:37 PM
It's easy to compare it. It maybe a standard phone. but the actual concept and design can be applicable to the iPhone.

I disagree.the designs are very different....
http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lgandiphonesg2.jpg

d_mini
19th January 2007, 03:39 PM
I'm getting one, by the time the iPhone gets here, i'll be ready to replace it anyway.
D.

tommelbourne
19th January 2007, 03:42 PM
One would be very foolish to think that LG has whipped this up in response to the iPhone being announced. It is definitely a step in the right direction for 'normal' phone manufacturers.

MactrixAUS
19th January 2007, 03:43 PM
I disagree.the designs are very different....
http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lgandiphonesg2.jpg

Well, that's your personal opinion and I have nothing against that. But considering they both have screens that cover majority of the casing. Minimal buttons, so on, I think that they are similar.

That's just my opinion;)

marc
19th January 2007, 03:45 PM
I knew they couldn't have whipped it out that fast. The points that you discuss are good marc and I agree. I have seen phones with touch before, I guess it's just that apple made out as if it was a world-breakthrough.
The breakthough is OS X on a device that small, core animation driven UI, a full iPod widescreen with video, "Apple"ised phone (ie. "not broken" as SJ puts it) and full web browsing that you can actually use on a device that small (my current phone's web browsing is garbage!). I think those are a big deal.

I actually like the look of the LG phone, but you have to be kidding yourself if you've used anything that's as easy to use for the features the iPhone. Well... as easy to use as it looks on the web site.

Plus... I bet official iPhone apps will happen either:
a) soon, or
b) as soon as the current deal with cingular is over

marc
19th January 2007, 03:52 PM
Well, that's your personal opinion and I have nothing against that. But considering they both have screens that cover majority of the casing. Minimal buttons, so on, I think that they are similar.

That's just my opinion;)
Similar in the very basic concept (big screen, no buttons... which as we all know isn't anything new, even if it's sort of new to the phone space). Similar in that they both have had good designers working on the outer casing. It certainly doesn't look like one has copied or been inspired by the other.

Some LG UI shots (maybe this is the development UI... it looks different to the Engadget skin).
http://www.mobilport.hu/?r=8266

I think you have to admit that they appear pretty different from that perspective.

MactrixAUS
19th January 2007, 03:55 PM
I think you have to admit that they appear pretty different from that perspective.

Agreed. Although don't you think we can see even the slightest design resemblance in the two. I know, it doesn't look like it's been copied, not saying that, but you can spot some similarities.

MactrixAUS
19th January 2007, 04:01 PM
The breakthough is OS X on a device that small, core animation driven UI, a full iPod widescreen with video, "Apple"ised phone (ie. "not broken" as SJ puts it) and full web browsing that you can actually use on a device that small (my current phone's web browsing is garbage!). I think those are a big deal.

Well of course, these things have never been done before on a phone and I guess that's why there is so much hype. We have never seen a phone like this before, and I guess it's un-comparable against other phones.

I believe it's in it's own league.

tommelbourne
19th January 2007, 04:06 PM
Agreed. Although don't you think we can see even the slightest design resemblance in the two. I know, it doesn't look like it's been copied, not saying that, but you can spot some similarities.

I can spot similarities between my old Sigma and my Dad's new Commodore. ;)

ilostmypassword
19th January 2007, 04:15 PM
Quite disturbing really.

c'mon what about that rabbit...

:D

chrissara
19th January 2007, 04:18 PM
Seamless operation amongst programs on the phone - that what all I want and the iPhone seems to have it (if it is genuinely based on OSX). The LG (haven't looked at the specs) may be a Symbian based phone (don't know) - this generally is a good solid platform but I am not sure as to whether it can compare favourable to Apple.

kim jong il
19th January 2007, 04:25 PM
c'mon what about that rabbit...

:D

That rabbit did not have a single conspicuously manly hand so while it might have been bred and raised in the lush pastures around Chernobyl it wouldn't give you half the scare in the dark that girl (and her giant paw) might. ;)

marc
19th January 2007, 04:37 PM
The KE850 PRADA's UI is Macromedia Flash-based
OH NO!!!!!

Count me out. My SE is sluggish enough as it is.

ilostmypassword
19th January 2007, 04:43 PM
It's official......Looks like Apple has struck back at LG with the exclusive iRabbit phone.....

http://www.pauljamesdesign.com.au/clients/dean/irabbit.jpg

:D:D (sorry!!)

pipsqeek
19th January 2007, 04:44 PM
It only competes with the iPhone in looks. And LG introduced it long before Apple did. Just that the media never picked up on it.

Cheers
pipsqeek

Apple is so stupid when it comes to revealing a product. Far out apple have the product ready to ship if your going to release something not 5 months down the track.
It took LG less than a week to come out with something thats so close to the iphone it can easily be mistaken for one. Apple better either make the iphone alot cheaper or ad new feature by the time it ships!

MactrixAUS
19th January 2007, 04:46 PM
It only competes with the iPhone in looks. And LG introduced it long before Apple did. Just that the media never picked up on it.

Cheers
pipsqeek

Thank you pipsweek, at least I have one supporter that it looks similar:rolleyes:

Nice one password! That gave me a laugh:)