PDA

View Full Version : Notebooks: Need Some Advice

thebookfreak58
18th January 2007, 08:45 PM
Hey Everyone...

I've never owned an Apple PC before, but after using OSx86 (Naughty, I know) for a year or so, I've really fallen in love (yes, I do like a human too) with OSX. (And XP is driving me nuts) Anyway, since I'm a poor Yr 12 (Final Year this year!) student, I was thinking of getting a laptop for school and (let's say) the end of the first year of uni. (by which then I can afford a Intel-Mac).

Anyway, So I'm tied up between getting a say G3 iBook 700-900Mhz or paying abit more and getting a 867MHZ G4 Ti Powerbook. The size factor isn't an issue, it's just the issue is which one is gonna be more reliable and last me till end of '08 without breaking (don't worry I take good care of my stuff). Also, which one is going to be better value for money.

I see the iBooks going for around $400 on eBay and I think the G4's go for a bit more.....

So basiclly, I need advice, which one would be better and better value to buy.

Using the laptop for:
Word Processing
Keynote looks awsome, wanna try that
Watching DVD's/Channel BT
General surfing the net
Trying out the iLife SuiteAnd that's all I can think of!

Thanks!

MactrixAUS
18th January 2007, 08:53 PM
I'd probably go for the G4, more reliable for the time span that your going to use it. It will also run iLife better. Just depends on the budget.

OSx86 ey? Been there, done that:p Amazing stuff.

STK
18th January 2007, 09:06 PM
I'd probably go for the G4, more reliable for the time span that your going to use it. It will also run iLife better. Just depends on the budget.

OSx86 ey? Been there, done that:p Amazing stuff.

liar mactrix! anyway go for th ibook g4. 1.33ghz is great i had one...

timwallG5
18th January 2007, 10:03 PM
Don't get a G3 - support for those is being dropped by Apple (latest iLife doesn't run on them, Leopard won't run properly with them etc.)

Go for either an iBook G4, or have a good hard look for an Aluminium PowerBook G4 (1.25 GHz or higher) - I had a TiBook [Titanium PowerBook - 400Mhz thru 1.0GHz] and was constantly worried about the hinges holidng the screen to the body breaking or failing, as they're held in by four screws and protrude from the main body fo the machine. I kept it desk-bound because of this and eventually sold it on eBay. (Hinges unbroken)

Otherwise aim for a new Intel Mac, which are likely to be enhanced upon with the upcoming Leopard, and will be supported for much longer (as Apple is just biding it's time to kill off PowerPC support in 2010 or thereabouts...)

That said, the TiBook G4s (software-wise) are pretty reliable, solid machines. I've edited movies on them without hassle, and avoided any type of crash whilst using them with Tiger.

BiRDBRAiN
18th January 2007, 10:14 PM
Definitely buy a G4 based machine.

With enough RAM most medium to higher speed G4 will do the trick.

Currawong
19th January 2007, 12:40 AM
Some other thoughts - I agree with the idea of getting a G4 and not a G3, but consider getting a later iBook if you can that takes Airport Extreme (802.11g) rather than regular Airport cards, which were only 802.11b. Otherwise, the Powerbook has a PCMCIA (PC Card) slot which will allow some expansion if needed. iBooks are somewhat more sturdy than titanium PowerBooks though.

thebookfreak58
19th January 2007, 02:03 PM
Ok,

Thanks for the opinions guys, so looks like the G3 is out, but I think a G4 Based iBook might be a bit too expensive for me ATM, same with an Al- Powerbook G4.

Are the hinges on the Ti Book that bad?? As I said, I take good care of my stuff...also how much RAM would be a good amount to do all of the taks that I wrote in the original post Plus Tiger??

thebookfreak58
20th January 2007, 11:06 AM
Oh one more thing, how much would be appropirate to spend on a TiBook??

thebookfreak58
27th January 2007, 08:42 PM
Well,

i just won this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170073451075) off eBay.....Opinions on price, what can be done to make it better??

If i do any upgrades it won't be for a while because I went $50 over my limit on this one :P

Tim

Byrd
27th January 2007, 09:14 PM
It's an OK price, should serve you well for the next couple of years :)

The first upgrade you'll need will be a 512MB RAM module - Tiger needs at least 512MB. MSY sell DDR333 512MB sticks for $75 which will do the job well.

You might also find 30GB a little cramped after a while, but make sure you reinstall Tiger when you get it and strip out the printer drivers and language files - these take up a lot of space. When you do decide to upgrade the HD, it's a painful process really only suited to people with good technical skills. If not, an external FW HD will go well.

Apart from that, you should be right for a while longer.

JB

(edit: you can find substitute "feet" at stores like Bunnings or Dick Smith)

thebookfreak58
27th January 2007, 09:37 PM
It's an OK price, should serve you well for the next couple of years :)

The first upgrade you'll need will be a 512MB RAM module - Tiger needs at least 512MB. MSY sell DDR333 512MB sticks for $75 which will do the job well.

You might also find 30GB a little cramped after a while, but make sure you reinstall Tiger when you get it and strip out the printer drivers and language files - these take up a lot of space. When you do decide to upgrade the HD, it's a painful process really only suited to people with good technical skills. If not, an external FW HD will go well.

Apart from that, you should be right for a while longer.

JB

(edit: you can find substitute "feet" at stores like Bunnings or Dick Smith)

Sweet, I'll have a look at DSE/Bunnings. The hard drive size will be right, I have a PC with bigger hard drives and I can stream anything HD intensive (Channel BT etc) as I only intend on using the iBook for school work and watching movies. And I've burnt lots to DVD already.

I'll try and see what money I can scrounge for the RAM, but will Tiger run with 256MB??

Byrd
27th January 2007, 09:44 PM
Yeah Tiger will run (and probably better than you think), but once you start to run more than two applications or something RAM intensive (eg. iLife, Photoshop), get ready to for some hard disk thrashing. In the interim with 256MB, make sure you disable Dashboard and Spotlight indexing.

The best "feet" I found were these little round clear ones at Bunnings - small and tidy.

JB

Currawong
27th January 2007, 09:47 PM
It'll run, but I strongly recommend getting at least 512mb if you can. I'm sure someone will have a spare 512mb SO-DIMM they are willing to part with for next to nothing.

thebookfreak58
27th January 2007, 09:49 PM
The best "feet" I found were these little round clear ones at Bunnings - small and tidy.

Great, I'll keep an eye out for them.

thebookfreak58
27th January 2007, 10:00 PM
It'll run, but I strongly recommend getting at least 512mb if you can. I'm sure someone will have a spare 512mb SO-DIMM they are willing to part with for next to nothing.

I'll post a WTB thread.

thebookfreak58
27th January 2007, 10:47 PM
Hey I was just re-reading the specs in the auction, and they seem to be a mish-mash of G3 and G4 iBook specs, and yet the photos show it's a G4....Opinions?

nicwithsticks
27th January 2007, 11:23 PM
The specs are a little incorrect - the early G4 iBooks had 9200 Radeons and not 7500's. The machine in the pics looks like a G4, so I'd check the specs when it arrives.

thebookfreak58
30th January 2007, 09:18 PM
The specs are a little incorrect - the early G4 iBooks had 9200 Radeons and not 7500's. The machine in the pics looks like a G4, so I'd check the specs when it arrives.

Will Do, it should be here in a day or two. Also, I'm getting a 512MB Stick.

Where would be the cheapest place to get one of the those glove cases?

Hamsmyth
30th January 2007, 09:26 PM
The pics show a G4, so if its not a G4 when it arrives it's time to get onto the bloke.

thebookfreak58
6th February 2007, 07:16 PM

JB

So you know of a model name so when I go to bunnings what to ask them? Also, do they fit properly in the 12in?

Also, the iBook arrived yesterday, and it seems to be in good nic. Anyway, a 512MB sick of RAM is on it's way same with an STM Glove case. But there's a problem, the serial number isn't showing up in System profiler, so I looked under the battery, nothing there, so I opened up the keyboard, and the whole sticker that's meant to be there is missing too! What should I do? Secondly, I have a feeling that the mic. isn't working, I assume that it's the little hole next to the screen? As when I try record anything in GarageBand or Audacity, it dosen't record anything......I hope I didn't get duped. They guy also forgot to send the Mini VGA to VGA adaptor too....So I've sent an email....

Not Happy Jan!....and yet, I love my iBook :)

Nukolator
6th February 2007, 07:23 PM
The lack of serial number in System Profiler means the machine has had it's main logic board (motherboard in PC land) replaced, a fairly common thing for G4 iBooks. The lack of a sticker under the keyboard could be due to the top case having been replaced, or it could have been removed to stop the machine being traced. I'm not sure if it's possible to mess with a machine's internals to remove the serial number, but I know it's hard if not impossible to get it back in after a logic board replacement.

The Fluffy Duck
6th February 2007, 07:40 PM
I have an ibook G4 1.33 ghz it is a beautiful machine. I have NEVER had a problem with it. I push it to its limits and it continues to shine I love the damm thing to bits. Ive dropedd it on solid concret and apart from a few cosmetic dints there is nothing wrong. rock solid little computer.

thebookfreak58
7th February 2007, 08:49 PM
The lack of serial number in System Profiler means the machine has had it's main logic board (motherboard in PC land) replaced, a fairly common thing for G4 iBooks. The lack of a sticker under the keyboard could be due to the top case having been replaced, or it could have been removed to stop the machine being traced. I'm not sure if it's possible to mess with a machine's internals to remove the serial number, but I know it's hard if not impossible to get it back in after a logic board replacement.

I think that seems to be the case, as there's no "adhesive" on the place where the sicker should be. It's no big deal, I just wanted to know if my battery was affected by the recall.

But the main problem, is the internal mic. Do they normally fail? Or is tehre a way I can test if it's dead? A way to fix it?

But, I love my iBook, took it to school today, for music, everyone loved GarageBand....!

designers_hub
7th February 2007, 09:10 PM
why not grab a brand new macbook for $1749?

and don't flexirent, which is a rip off. no reason at all to go on it

put it on a GE Credit Line 36month interest free account:
-you pay $1 per month account keeping
-you must repay $40 or 3% of the amount per month (which ever greater)
-settle the account before the end of 36months
-make sure you never switch your GE Credit Line account to a GE Credit Card, there is a difference

thebookfreak58
8th February 2007, 05:35 PM
Not to sure if you read the whole thread mate, but I bought an iBook G4.....

Any ideas on the internal mic? The dude of eBay still hasen't replied too....

why not grab a brand new macbook for $1749?

and don't flexirent, which is a rip off. no reason at all to go on it

put it on a GE Credit Line 36month interest free account:
-you pay $1 per month account keeping
-you must repay $40 or 3% of the amount per month (which ever greater)
-settle the account before the end of 36months
-make sure you never switch your GE Credit Line account to a GE Credit Card, there is a difference

aussiehoudini
8th February 2007, 07:39 PM
The iBook's are rock solid. I used mine for everything under the sun including video editing with final cut pro and it ate it up: I did have a over a gig of ram though. Only reason i upgraded to a powerbook was because work bought it for me.

I also had the logic board replaced under warranty (on the iBook) so it must be fairly common.

Why all the Tiger/Leopard rush. Panther was fine. I wouldn't rush to upgrade my machine like a peecee user (must have vista, now!). The older OSX's rocked and if you don't need as high spec'd machine stick with those until you can eventually buy a bigger badder machine. IMHO.

thebookfreak58
8th February 2007, 09:23 PM
The iBook's are rock solid. I used mine for everything under the sun including video editing with final cut pro and it ate it up: I did have a over a gig of ram though. Only reason i upgraded to a powerbook was because work bought it for me.

I also had the logic board replaced under warranty (on the iBook) so it must be fairly common.

Why all the Tiger/Leopard rush. Panther was fine. I wouldn't rush to upgrade my machine like a peecee user (must have vista, now!). The older OSX's rocked and if you don't need as high spec'd machine stick with those until you can eventually buy a bigger badder machine. IMHO.

I've found my 800MHz is rock solid too. I use it mainily for GarageBand, and it's great, sould be evn better with a 512 Stick comming soon. Tiger does run slow with more than two apps open or running an iLife program, but that will change with 640MB RAM woun't it? (Currently 256MB)