PDA

View Full Version : Edu pricing: still available from relellers?

bljpoad
18th January 2007, 08:07 PM
Hi all, I have recently sold my G5 and am looking to replace it with a MacBook or a MBP when Leopard comes out. I have a couple of questions regards to educational pricing though.

Can I get Educational prices through resellers still for macs? I thought I heard something changed on this front since I bought my G5 in early 2005, but I couldn't locate anything with a forum search. I bought mine from Next Byte on Elizabeth St (great service when I got it!) and had no issues - just showed them my student card and I was away. Is it still like this? I would just prefer to buy a machine that I can look at first and feel happy with before I walk out the store, mainly re: things like dead pixels etc.

Any info would be a huge help guys and gals! :) If this has already been discussed just point me to that thread, I couldn't locate it myself (damn Thursday-itis!)
- Berwyck

wilba
18th January 2007, 08:15 PM
It's only available on the online store.

Shatter
18th January 2007, 08:18 PM
As far as i know Next Byte still do teacher discounts, not sure about students but I assume they do. It can't do any damage asking them.

William
18th January 2007, 08:24 PM
Hi,

Nextbyte only offers Teacher Discounts, we are unable to offer student discounts, you have to go through apple for student discounts :(

William,

OziMac
18th January 2007, 08:31 PM
No - unless it's an authorised campus reseller. :)

See here (http://mactalk.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=9599) - it was bumped today.

Shatter
18th January 2007, 08:34 PM
Hi,

Nextbyte only offers Teacher Discounts, we are unable to offer student discounts, you have to go through apple for student discounts :(

William,

I knew it. At what NextByte do you work at William?

nortonjg
18th January 2007, 09:21 PM
can resellers order online at student discount and buy it from them when they recieve it?

hawker
18th January 2007, 09:34 PM
can resellers order online at student discount and buy it from them when they recieve it?

apple would know a reseller is buying it and would stop the order, as they're not 'education'. So in simple terms: No.

AppleMac
18th January 2007, 10:56 PM
Hi bljpoad,

I am myself planning to buy a macbook @ the education price.
According to the apple website, you can get the education price either:

(1) From purchasing directly from the online apple education store
(2) Or from any authorised education reseller:

Here's the link of the authorised resellers in Victoria:
http://www.apple.com/au/education/shop/resellers.html

Hope this helps!:)

TERII82
19th January 2007, 12:23 AM
Hi bljpoad,

I am myself planning to buy a macbook @ the education price.
According to the apple website, you can get the education price either:

(1) From purchasing directly from the online apple education store
(2) Or from any authorised education reseller:

Here's the link of the authorised resellers in Victoria:
http://www.apple.com/au/education/shop/resellers.html

Hope this helps!:)

hmm,i think (2) is more for teachers and institutions discounts .I bought a mac yesterday from an apple reseller and i did not get a student discount at all.
You can only get student discount if you order from the online store unfortunately..:(

William
19th January 2007, 07:11 AM
I knew it. At what NextByte do you work at William?

Hi,

Nextbyte Hobart

William

bljpoad
19th January 2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks for all your replies...looks like I will be placing an order through the Apple store website then. I thought this might have to be the case but I wasn't sure :) Cheers
- Berwyck

Soleil
19th January 2007, 08:35 AM
I have read of a few people going into any reseller and having a chat with the sales staff only to have them offer the mac at the student price. Most wont do it as theyre not supposed to but some do just to get the sale and if you have appropriate ID they will copy it to claim back through apple or something. I have not tried this I ordered mine online but I have read others recent experiences.

WonderBoy
19th January 2007, 09:29 AM
bljpoad - Go to a campus store. Here in NSW I'd recommend going to Comp Now at UNSW, but I'm not sure for VIC. Regular resellers still do EDU discounts, but only for teachers or Institutions (if they're an EDU reseller).

Rasta
19th January 2007, 10:52 AM

What is the discount for teachers? Is it the same as students?

decryption
19th January 2007, 10:53 AM

Yep :)

MactrixAUS
19th January 2007, 10:54 AM

Yes, pretty sure it's close to the same:rolleyes:

EDIT: Got me decryption:D

hawker
19th January 2007, 11:50 AM

Only institutions can get a better discount, and then basically you have to either:

1) buy a lot of computers
2) be good friends with the manager of edu at apple

My university was very good friends with the edu manager (he use to come down every year and show all the new macs, and take orders)...