PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 10.5 (New GUI?)

warren21
17th January 2007, 05:18 PM
Hi all,

I'm really curious to see what other forum members think 10.5 will look like. The sneak previews on the Apple website show the new features but it doesn't look that different from 10.4. I know that Apple are keeping alot of things about 10.5 a secret until it's release. Do you think we'll get a nice surprise with a totally redesigned theme and effects as well as being feature packed and light years ahead of Vista? Will it be a glossy black type theme I've been hearing about?

mechcon
17th January 2007, 05:22 PM
i'd laugh if apple went "oh fuck, vista is out, quick folks we need to make it even better than better" :P

MactrixAUS
17th January 2007, 05:24 PM
I hope so, because I always thought that Apple's new OS' seemed to just 'update' things, with apps and so on. But know that I own one, I think differently about it, so I hope your right!:D

MrJesseRoss
17th January 2007, 05:32 PM
I saw some pics on Digg that somebody was claiming were the 10.5 finder (most definitely fakes) that were kind of pro-app-like. All glossy black. But I don't think black makes for a friendly looking interface at all.

McMullet
17th January 2007, 05:35 PM
Does anyone think that the new theme for Leopard will be something similar to Safari on the iPhone?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/360330651_6b173fc3c4_o.jpg

Shatter
17th January 2007, 05:36 PM
i'm guessing it will resemble the GUI of iTunes 7. I love that GUI.

edit:

Does anyone think that the new theme for Leopard will be something similar to Safari on the iPhone?

yeah, thats what i'm talking about.

MrJesseRoss
17th January 2007, 05:39 PM

I don't mind the blue-grey(ish) look at all. It works nicely on iTunes 7.

iPirate
17th January 2007, 05:44 PM
I would find it wonderful if you could alter the GUI to your own needs, like with ShapeShifter... except without having to reveal credit card details online.

Shatter
17th January 2007, 06:08 PM
I would find it wonderful if you could alter the GUI to your own needs, like with ShapeShifter... except without having to reveal credit card details online.

lol. So apple just add a skin maker and put skins under Sys. prefs?

Shatter
17th January 2007, 07:19 PM
New spotlight icon maybe?

Take a close look at it here (http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/leopard/)

marc
17th January 2007, 08:05 PM
I think there will be an updated UI, but I think it'll be more of a new skin with some extra effects and shine, rather than something that looks like the iPhone's UI.

Also, I hope iTunes 7 isn't anything like 10.5. Those scroll bars? No thanks!

warren21
17th January 2007, 08:08 PM
I really hope it's simplified and smoothed out with a little shine to it. I hope they ditch the brushed metal look, it's over in my opinion. Nice clean simple lines and a uniformed look to the entire OS is what I'm hoping for.

spilla
17th January 2007, 08:11 PM
I seem to like the look of Vista's Aero. IMO, the transperancy looks great.

I like the look of iTunes 7, however, like marc said, the scroll bars look crap. :)

Shatter
17th January 2007, 08:15 PM
I think there will be an updated UI, but I think it'll be more of a new skin with some extra effects and shine, rather than something that looks like the iPhone's UI.

Also, I hope iTunes 7 isn't anything like 10.5. Those scroll bars? No thanks!

I like those scroll bars.

MactrixAUS
17th January 2007, 08:17 PM
I really hope it's simplified and smoothed out with a little shine to it. I hope they ditch the brushed metal look, it's over in my opinion. Nice clean simple lines and a uniformed look to the entire OS is what I'm hoping for.

Totally agree. I'm hoping for a glossy black theme to match my MacBook, but I'd also like the choice to keep it white.

I'm sure what ever they decide it will look great.

mechcon
17th January 2007, 08:26 PM
agreed, aero does look great but it's 3d window function is putrid, expose ftw!

now that the iphone is out of the way, next rumor rant nonstop will be leopard

queraxus
17th January 2007, 08:52 PM
Some of these fakes created for a contest look very impressive.
http://phillryu.com/2006/07/26/fake-leopard-screenshot-contest-winners-better-than-the-real-thing/

Shatter
17th January 2007, 09:19 PM
woah. I'd be happy with Leopard looking like the first one. Did you notice that in the address book section there's a "place" or something section and the girl is a down as a "sexy single". lol.

Atomac
17th January 2007, 09:42 PM
I have some inside information on the look and feel of 10.5. It seems that Apple wanted a bit of a retro look. Here is a link (http://www.daniellafreniere.com/images/MacOS7.jpg) to a screenshot.

Starscream
17th January 2007, 09:48 PM
woah. I'd be happy with Leopard looking like the first one. Did you notice that in the address book section there's a "place" or something section and the girl is a down as a "sexy single". lol.

sexy singer i think it is ?

Aa
17th January 2007, 10:01 PM
I love the black look creeping into some apps like Shiira and slideshows. I don't think it needs to take over though.

Vista has gone all out because they were so behind and looked like shit.

I personally would like brushed metal to go. Plastic to go accross the board, with black for the special menus/features and the pro apps also. But i also love the colours in Super Duper and the blues used in safari RSS and the like. tasty.

Oh, and kill off all the old 10.1/10.2 gui residue in things like activity monitor, disk utility and text edit.

tripwu
17th January 2007, 11:11 PM
agreed, aero does look great but it's 3d window function is putrid, expose ftw!

are you kidding, i think vista looks crap, i hate transparency...totally useless and confusing

bolle
18th January 2007, 12:17 AM
are you kidding, i think vista looks crap, i hate transparency...totally useless and confusing

I have to agree there too. The screenshots i've seen of vista look too busy and confusing

morn
18th January 2007, 12:18 AM
VIsta does not look that good, the transparency inhibits you seeing which window is infront. It has weird objects in it that aren't related to the transparency, I dunno, it kind of feels like it may using a half-transparent monitor all day where you can see the room you're in faintly through it, it's kind of disconcerting.
But I do rather like flip3d, it spreads the windows over a smaller area, making it faster to scan and recognize with your eyes I think. On the other hand, picking windows with a scroll wheel is really not ideal at all and it's much nicer to just point to a window like how expose works.

mechcon
18th January 2007, 06:49 AM
i mean i COULD make a list of where osx fails over vista, and viceversa, but i wont, as there are less flaws with osx :)