PDA

View Full Version : My Graduation Present Is Going To Be

jerseyjim0
17th January 2007, 10:01 AM
A MacBook, i plan on getting a white one with the 2.0GHz then upgrading to 2GB of Ram and a 120Gb HD or 80GB depending on the money that i have... Now how good will this system be with the 2Gb or should i downgrade to 1Gb and save moeny? I plan on surfing the web, be on AIM, listening to music, doing homework and photos. what do you think would be the best decsion?

Disko
17th January 2007, 10:04 AM
Put in as much ram as you can afford. :)

In saying that - 1GB is plenty for the tasks you've said you'll use the computer for. Just 2GB would do them better.

thebag
17th January 2007, 10:08 AM
Welcome,

If you can afford it get the ram, you will not regret it.

As your machine dates the additional ram will help with future OS updates, There are people on this forum running the latest Mac OS on machines never designed for it, at reasonable speeds, because they have a bucket load of ram.

I would also grab the biggest hard drive available as well, you can never have to much space.

Mark

areal
17th January 2007, 10:09 AM
1GB is fine for general use. If the Macbook has the option of 1x1GB then do that and see how you go. You can upgrade to 2GB later and you'll feel like you have a whole new machine.

timwallG5
17th January 2007, 10:10 AM
Yes, definately fill your machine up with RAM. I have a 400MHz G4 from 2000 that runs as well as my iMac G5 because it's RAM is maxed-out.

Especially with these Intels - RAM will be what makes them really, really fast.

stewiesno1
17th January 2007, 10:12 AM
Congrats on graduating. What in and who is paying for the nice , shiny new lappy ?
Stewie.

jerseyjim0
17th January 2007, 10:19 AM
Congrats on graduating. What in and who is paying for the nice , shiny new lappy ?
Stewie.

Highschool going on to college yay! haha but my dad is paying it for me... how nice :)

mac_man_luke
17th January 2007, 10:25 AM
Intels drink ram, id go 2GB but not from apple

tommelbourne
17th January 2007, 10:27 AM
Highschool going on to college yay! haha but my dad is paying it for me... how nice :)

College? Are you in the States?

jerseyjim0
17th January 2007, 10:30 AM

yeah, jersey

gpillans
17th January 2007, 10:31 AM

Either the states or he's in Canberra.

Here in Canberra we go from High school (years 7-10) on to College (years 11-12). It's a lot like the '6th form colleges' in the UK.

EDIT: Or maybe he IS in the states!!!
EDIT: Probably should have guessed that from his username!!!

bolle
17th January 2007, 11:33 AM
congrats! and yeah, max your macbook out. i have a g4, and it's still humming even though it's almost 5 years old

all i got for my graduation was a pat on the back, and a lecture on what i'm going to do with the rest of my life

OziMac
17th January 2007, 11:44 AM
Welcome and all that - your post was a little confusing because high school students round here don't really 'graduate' so much as they move on to better things. ;)

Personally, I think you'll be fine with the stock white MacBook (preferably the 2.0GHz model which is the best value), but of course if your budget is flexible then get the best you can.

Graham
17th January 2007, 01:05 PM
My graduation present was an education. Eeee, when I were a lad...

Buy the minimum spec machine from Apple and get your local dealer to put in a memory and disk upgrade. It comes out a lot cheaper than having them in as part of BTO. If you need more disk space you can always get an external Firewire drive but I'd get as much memory as you can afford first up.

MrJesseRoss
17th January 2007, 01:46 PM
Here in Canberra we go from High school (years 7-10) on to College (years 11-12). It's a lot like the '6th form colleges' in the UK.

Do you actually CALL it college over in the ACT? It seems that 11-12 are only referred to as 'college' in Adelaide if they're a separate entity to a regular highschool (eg: Eynesbury College, University Senior College).

gpillans
17th January 2007, 02:21 PM
Do you actually CALL it college over in the ACT? It seems that 11-12 are only referred to as 'college' in Adelaide if they're a separate entity to a regular highschool (eg: Eynesbury College, University Senior College).

Yep - they are all called colleges. Eg. I went to Narrabundah College.

They are completely seperate from high schools... so after graduating from year 10 (which is the end of compulsory education), you go to college for two years.

Private schools are differet though - most private schools are 7-12 or K-12.