PDA

View Full Version : Apple deem iPhone skins illegal, threaten bloggers

Brains
16th January 2007, 04:38 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/01/15/1168709656280.html

iPhone skins irk Apple

Not only are Apple vigorously pursuingthe makers of 'skins' for other PDAs and hand-helds, they're also issuing cease-and-desist letters to any journalist or blogger who reports on them, citing that the icons used are copyrighted art and cannot be used without permission.

B.

OziMac
16th January 2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I'm perplexed as to why fervent anticipation for their hot product is less important to them than dubious (and practically unenforceable) copyright claims in what amounts to some pretty pictures rather than ripping off the UI.

Especially since, even with the images made available by Apple, any half-interested half-competent techie could whip something up - and it's more free advertising and hype for a product that hasn't even seen the light of day yet! :confused:

decryption
16th January 2007, 04:51 PM
Personally, I don't blame Apple. If someone ripped off the MacTalk UI for example, I'd be pissed off. This is Apple doing the same. If they do nothing we'll have a repeat of the translucent/clear phase all the hardware makers went though.

ClockWork
16th January 2007, 04:51 PM
Hmmm... I wonder if The Age got permission to show that image of the iPhone's iconical interface.
Perhaps Apple should just copyright that particular shade of blue on the Apple menu icon instead.

OziMac
16th January 2007, 04:57 PM
Personally, I don't blame Apple. If someone ripped off the MacTalk UI for example, I'd be pissed off. This is Apple doing the same. If they do nothing we'll have a repeat of the translucent/clear phase all the hardware makers went though.

I put this to you then: surely your use of the Aqua-UI components and certain Apple-like symbols in the UI of MacTalk are just as infringing. Which is ridiculous. :thumbdn:

iSlave
16th January 2007, 05:25 PM
I'm waiting for a letter from Steve Bulmer for a cease and desist using his fat ugly noggin as my avatar. "DESIST DESIST DESIST DESIST" "GIVE IT UP FOR ME" ;)

Currawong
16th January 2007, 05:25 PM
It's likely the stupid US copyright laws that are the issue again, they REQUIRE that the copyright holder be able to show that they've done all they can to protect their copyright. Otherwise if they don't, any phone maker could copy it and claim, if Apple sued, that they hadn't done anything.

Pursuing journalists is incredibly stupid, however. Funny that the SMH blatantly posted the link though, in clear defiance.

lavo
16th January 2007, 05:29 PM
Fair enough Apple chasing those who create the skins, but the bloggers? Apple seem to have an incredibly short memory, seeing as it was those very bloggers who plastered the internet with all that great press when the iPhone was announced (and don't forget the hype beforehand).

Don't be surprised if the same bloggers sh*tcan Apple tomorrow (or this evening), and again when the iPhone is released.

As I said somewhere else, Apple is the new Sony. The good and the bad of Sony, by the sounds of it.... :-)

Moose
16th January 2007, 05:47 PM
I'm waiting for a letter from Steve Bulmer for a cease and desist using his fat ugly noggin as my avatar. "DESIST DESIST DESIST DESIST" "GIVE IT UP FOR ME" ;)

Should you not be using a concrete head as your avatar?;)

ClockWork
16th January 2007, 05:49 PM
iSlave - if you really were a Rebel Without a Clue, you'd whip that nasty Jabba the Hut avatar off your identity, and replace it with this:

http://images.apple.com/pr/products/images/ref_iphone_home.jpg

Now you can... DESIST DESIST DESIST :p

btw: how dangerous was putting that in there, and will it be struck off MTAU ?

cheers,

cw

iSlave
16th January 2007, 06:01 PM
iSlave - if you really were a Rebel Without a Clue, you'd whip that nasty Jabba the Hut avatar off your identity, and replace it with this:

http://images.apple.com/pr/products/images/ref_iphone_home.jpg

Now you can... DESIST DESIST DESIST :p

btw: how dangerous was putting that in there, and will it be struck off MTAU ?

cheers,

cw

Your naughty CW! ;)

Oops! There it is again!!! :D

decryption
16th January 2007, 06:16 PM
I put this to you then: surely your use of the Aqua-UI components and certain Apple-like symbols in the UI of MacTalk are just as infringing. Which is ridiculous. :thumbdn:

That's not the same - this is clearly not an attempt to pass off as an Apple product, where as making a theme for a smartphone is.

Kirium
16th January 2007, 07:01 PM

It's not about Apple going after the guys who created and distribute the skin, that's fine and they're within their right... It's Apple tyring to scare bloggers and guys that post mere pictures of it on a forum. They didn't create it, they don't host it... They just thought it was news worthy and posted a pic on a forum...

It's overkill... :thumbdn:

OziMac
16th January 2007, 07:11 PM
It's likely the stupid US copyright laws that are the issue again, they REQUIRE that the copyright holder be able to show that they've done all they can to protect their copyright. Otherwise if they don't, any phone maker could copy it and claim, if Apple sued, that they hadn't done anything.

That's patents and trade marks - you don't have to go out of your way to protect copyright, it simply exists or it doesn't.

That's not the same - this is clearly not an attempt to pass off as an Apple product, where as making a theme for a smartphone is.

I disagree - firstly you can't pass off something that doesn't exist yet; secondly, no one's selling these, so there's no actual passing off; and thirdly, it's a skin - not a design for a phone or a circuit layout - it's a generic layout of items that arguably together as a layout, and individually as icons, aren't original enough to be protected by copyright.

Just my opinion - I think there's a line between protecting your intellectual property and biting the hand that feeds you, and more often than not I've sided with Apple when pursuing leaked trade secrets etc, but this time I feel they've crossed that line.

sikosis
17th January 2007, 04:04 PM
I think it's fair enough to go after people who make skins for PDAs, etc ... that *charge* money. If the skin is free ... that's another story. As for example, I use the iTunes skin theme on my Palm's Pocket Tunes ...