PDA

View Full Version : MacBook - dvd region codes?

gihund@mac.com
15th January 2007, 08:41 PM
Hi,

Inserted this DVD into my macbook the other day and was told that the dvd region is unsuitable and required changing. There's only 4 options of changing the dvd area code.

Anybody got smart ideas about overriding this?

Lucy

hawker
15th January 2007, 08:47 PM
Use VLC....videolan.org

ClockWork
15th January 2007, 08:50 PM
In the Sky with Diamonds ?

Australia is Region 4.

iPirate
15th January 2007, 09:40 PM
Anyone know why there are only 4 opportunities to change? Is it that they do not want people to buy DVDs overseas (including illegitimate ones) and watch them. Is it that they want us to become monolingual. To not be "citizens of the world"?

There are times when I think they're just trying to be mean, and there are times when I know they are...

Kuma
15th January 2007, 09:45 PM
Anyone know why there are only 4 opportunities to change? Is it that they do not want people to buy DVDs overseas (including illegitimate ones) and watch them. Is it that they want us to become monolingual. To not be "citizens of the world"?

There are times when I think they're just trying to be mean, and there are times when I know they are...

It is to help control the distribution and pricing... it is a pain in the arse...

for some reason computer manufacturers are stuck on this you have so many opportunities before you get locked in.

The ACCC has been meaning to look at this for many years... (I first made a complaint to them about 7 years ago) it is listed on their site somewhere...

but as almost every DVD player purchased in Australia is now DVD region free (actually that is a misnomer - they play all regions)... the ACCC no longer regard it as a pressing issue...
I have complained again because computers can't watch multi regions...

the twist here is if you buy a pirated DVD chances are it is Region 0 (ie all players can play it) and has no annoying piracy crap at the beginning.... :confused: