PDA

View Full Version : First time mac user/buyer

Kempokidd
15th January 2007, 08:03 PM
Hi all

As a new comer to the mac scene i was just wondering a few things before i make a purchase, as i have come from a background of PC familiarity and don't know much about mac computers.

Basically tomorrow i am going to a apple reseller to purchase a Mac Book Pro. As im currently still a student, my budget isn't great, so i guess i am going to have to settle for the $3199 model which is the CD2 2.16GHz.

Basically i was wondering if this laptop model will be adequate enough to meet day to day needs of browsing the net, music - other various media entertainment, but mainly i will be using it for web development, photo shop and so on ....

The other thing was that i know Leopard is coming around pretty soon, and i was wondering if this machine will be able to run it???

it would be most appreciated if you could help out.

Disko
15th January 2007, 08:05 PM
Simple answer: Shit yes.

:)

ilostmypassword
15th January 2007, 08:06 PM
Honestly.... if you are not going to play any games or do heavy duty 3D work... the Macbook is a far better option. It will do everything you want and is cheaper. You could buy a macbook, max out the RAM and get a monitor for the same price as the 15" MBP.

I have a macbook and it does everything you have mentioned. No worries.

I hope this helps.

spilla
15th January 2007, 08:07 PM
Any machine that Apple is making now will be able to upgrade to Leopard, and I'm sure that the MBP will run it great.

As for it meeting your needs, it'll be fine, and will run everything you've mentioned with ease.

BTW, Welcome to the forums. :)

Edit: Double beaten to the punch. :p

thebag
15th January 2007, 08:07 PM
You beat me to it Disko, I was going with the shit yeah answer as well.

Kempokidd
15th January 2007, 08:09 PM
wow very fast replys !!!! thank yo for all your help, the other thing i just saw on the apple site was the option to choose a glossy screen over the matte screen, which one is better?

Shatter
15th January 2007, 08:11 PM
Hi all

As a new comer to the mac scene i was just wondering a few things before i make a purchase, as i have come from a background of PC familiarity and don't know much about mac computers.

Basically tomorrow i am going to a apple reseller to purchase a Mac Book Pro. As im currently still a student, my budget isn't great, so i guess i am going to have to settle for the $3199 model which is the CD2 2.16GHz.

Basically i was wondering if this laptop model will be adequate enough to meet day to day needs of browsing the net, music - other various media entertainment, but mainly i will be using it for web development, photo shop and so on ....

The other thing was that i know Leopard is coming around pretty soon, and i was wondering if this machine will be able to run it???

it would be most appreciated if you could help out.

First of all, welcome to the world of Macs.

Secondly, that quite a good budget you've got there.

Third, the laptop is great, very fast. It could probably run any Mac applications (including the CPU intensive ones like Final Cut Pro and Photoshop CS3, and i'm assuming you'll be using Dreamweaver.

Fifth, It will DEFINATELY be adequate enough for your needs.

Sixth, when Leopard is released it will definatley be capable of running it of course.

Seventh, Good buy. Did you know that there's a student/teacher discount on Mac computers? I suggest you ask about it.

Eighth, your making me jealous.

hawker
15th January 2007, 08:24 PM
Are you getting the education discount? the $3199 model is $ 2,814.90 for uni students!

spilla
15th January 2007, 08:26 PM
wow very fast replys !!!! thank yo for all your help, the other thing i just saw on the apple site was the option to choose a glossy screen over the matte screen, which one is better?

Choose which ever one you like the most. When you go into the Apple relseller, ask them to show you each type.

I personally find the glossy ones annoying as they're too reflective, but you might not notice it. :)

Kempokidd
15th January 2007, 08:26 PM
i havent started uni as of yet, i was completely unaware of this discount ....

hawker
15th January 2007, 08:33 PM
i havent started uni as of yet, i was completely unaware of this discount ....

all you need is a valid uni card (mainly the student number). Although these days you can normally only order online:

http://apple.com/au/education/store/

It's great to save the money, and use it for important things like ram or a back up hard drive, or even an iPod!

Brains
15th January 2007, 08:35 PM
Go for the matte screen - the glossy one is terrible.

B.

Kempokidd
15th January 2007, 08:39 PM
matte screen ay? thank you all for the help, hope to post tomorrow night on my new mac book pro. :P

Shatter
15th January 2007, 08:41 PM
all you need is a valid uni card (mainly the student number). Although these days you can normally only order online:

http://apple.com/au/education/store/

It's great to save the money, and use it for important things like ram or a back up hard drive, or even an iPod!

didn't they stop the iPod discounts. I (my mum) didn't get one on the iPod video she bought me. :(

hawker
15th January 2007, 08:45 PM
Yep no discounts on ipods anymore. Apple lost too much money apparently, even though the discounts were minimum.

mechcon
15th January 2007, 08:50 PM
put it this way, leopard will work flawlessly with g4's as well as g5's (basically machines from 2002 onwards)

what i was shocked about when i switched over (welcome aboard by the way), is that every new increment of the os i.e. 10.2 to 10.3, 10.3 to 10.4, the os runs much smoother, and handles/boots better too.

not the other way around with windows

Kempokidd
15th January 2007, 08:59 PM
does anyone know if itunes runs better on the mac then the windows version? as the windows version can be alittle on the slow side. I currently own a ipod video, its part of the reason why im deciding on getting a mac book pro, the ipod is such a great product.

hawker
15th January 2007, 09:07 PM
iTunes screams on a mac - the windows version is very slow, probably down to bad coding vs. a good app that needs awesome coding, but something is lost in the translation.

Johnny Appleseed
16th January 2007, 01:21 AM
I currently own a ipod video, its part of the reason why im deciding on getting a mac book pro, the ipod is such a great product.

More proof of the halo effect. Welcome to the fold!

mechcon
16th January 2007, 06:52 AM
iTunes screams on a mac - the windows version is very slow, probably down to bad coding vs. a good app that needs awesome coding, but something is lost in the translation.

exactly, just like how media player ran on macs.. terribly :\

Erwin
16th January 2007, 07:23 AM
Wow, that's a good machine for what you want! :) It's more than enough for your needs!

ClockWork
16th January 2007, 07:34 AM
As im currently still a student, my budget isn't great, so i guess i am going to have to settle for the $3199 model which is the CD2 2.16GHz.

Crikey! Is this now what is considered to be "a student budget" ? Is that a gold or platinum plated student budget? Hell - I'm not a student and there's no way I could afford that!

(Ever considered turning to a Clearance List Sale (http://www.compnow.com.au/) ?)

You might need to "eat" later on... :p

Kempokidd
16th January 2007, 06:56 PM
hey guys, im currently surfing this site with my brand new mac book pro, im loving it, but it is so so different compared to windows xp, very happy with my purchase so far.

Currawong
16th January 2007, 07:52 PM
Hi Kempokidd - congratulations on the purchase. We wont blame you if you find the transition rather weird.

I always recommend having a good look around the System Preferences and get to know where things are on your machine, especially as everything is labelled in plain English. Once you've had a good play and looked around Mac sites and the like, feel free to drop in to our chat room (see my sig or the IRC link top left) with any thoughts or queries.

:)

Erwin
17th January 2007, 07:44 AM
hey guys, im currently surfing this site with my brand new mac book pro, im loving it, but it is so so different compared to windows xp, very happy with my purchase so far.

After 1-2 days it will become second nature and you'll get used to it. ;)

Kempokidd
17th January 2007, 08:14 PM
yeah im getting much more use to it now, loving it, dont know why i didnt pick a mac earlier !!!!!

Shatter
17th January 2007, 09:37 PM
and the people who have always used a mac do their best to stay away from PC's (like me, 'cept we have to use them at school). PC users dont know what their missing.

mwot
17th January 2007, 09:44 PM
More proof of the halo effect. Welcome to the fold!

In the past couple of weeks, I have had 3 work colleagues come and ask me for help with their iTunes or iPod on their PCs. This then started the conversation of whether or not I have a Mac at home and asked for my general opinion on them, why Mac, aren't they expensive?, blah blah blah. All 3 of them have now told me that they are going to buy a Mac for home use in the next 4 - 6 weeks ... halo effect? hell yeah.