PDA

View Full Version : VLC no longer plays out of Region DVD's

JimWOz
15th January 2007, 06:18 PM
I have discovered that my PBG4 1.5GHz with a Matshita UJ-845 Superdrive NO LONGER plays out of region DVD's. - It used to !!

Discovered this on the VLC forums, a post by the co-developer of the Mac VLC Port in response to a query about whether a VLC update had caused the loss of function.
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm Post subject:
VLC didn't not change, but additionally to the region lock by the RPC2 firmwares (search this forum for details), recent OSX / QuickTime updates added further prevention mechanisms to let VLC only play DVDs from the same region as the drive is set to.
There is no a way for us to circumvent this. Furthermore, this isn't a priority for us, since developing such a feature would be illegal in most countries VLC's developers are from now.

So maybe an out is to back track through Tiger and Quicktime updates to find when it stopped working, and have a system of this build available to use for playing out of region disks, or just use MTR on everything out of region I might want to play on the PB.

tintinaujapon
15th January 2007, 06:48 PM
I've got that drive with an E tacked on the end, and VLC works fine on my second last generation PB G4 15".

iPirate
15th January 2007, 06:55 PM
What I do not understand is why countries bother with these region codes. After all, don't we all live in a "global economy" with "global companies" and all that? Why can't we watch DVDs from other countries...

It feels like Vista's system-wide content protection may have been yet another copy of Mac OS X.

Oh well, good thing I back up previous OS updates in case the next one has problems such as this.

mjankor
15th January 2007, 07:00 PM
I hate region coding. I'll take Fairplay DRM over region coding any day.

mwot
15th January 2007, 07:25 PM
I noticed this too when my wife returned from the States. She bought a few DVDs and they refuse to play via VLC on the iMac ... but play just fine in our DVD player (which I never knew was region-free when we bought it ...). Of course, now she's region locked the DVD drive on the Macbook for the US ... o.0

jonargall
15th January 2007, 07:29 PM
What happens if you copy the DVD to a your hard drive and then try VLC?

mwot
15th January 2007, 07:55 PM
you mean make a disk image? dunno. let me try it.

Dante Kyar
15th January 2007, 08:16 PM
when done with mac the ripper, it just wont work for some reason. Thats what i've found anyway....

mechcon
15th January 2007, 08:52 PM
yeah, but there's no stable version of mactheripper that work on intel macs

I just tried a region 1 dvd, and there was no prompts about region change on DVD Player, or VLC

iPirate
15th January 2007, 09:00 PM
What about OSex? That makes disc images (but don't break any laws...).

Kuma
15th January 2007, 09:18 PM
I hate region coding. I'll take Fairplay DRM over region coding any day.

amen

My powerbook never worked through VLC with the regions... it is stuck on Region 4

However VLC on my iMac (new Intel model) does play region free...

Im not sure what difference the DVD drives does.. but that's the way it works...
so now Im ripping away getting all my Japanese and American DVDs clean of regions that way Im not stuck...

god damn I hate region coding so much

:mad: :mad: :mad:

jonargall
15th January 2007, 09:47 PM
you mean make a disk image? dunno. let me try it.

Yeah, you could try making a disk image.

Drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder onto a hard drive may also work (or copying the files using a UNIX app such as "rsync -vrt".

I don't have any foreign DVDs to test this out with.

Kirium
15th January 2007, 10:43 PM
What I do not understand is why countries bother with these region codes. After all, don't we all live in a "global economy" with "global companies" and all that? Why can't we watch DVDs from other countries...

Yes... It seems the studios love to reap the enormous benefit of globalisation and world-wide markets, but take a dim view when consumers also try to benefit from the same global marketplace.... :thumbdn:

Do as we say, not as we do...

benmcgruer
16th January 2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, you could try making a disk image.

Drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder onto a hard drive may also work (or copying the files using a UNIX app such as "rsync -vrt".

I don't have any foreign DVDs to test this out with.

The problem is that the contents of the disk are actually encrypted (using CSS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scramble_System)), so you need something that will decipher them. Typically this is done by the drive itself (i.e. when the region is set to match that of the disk), however you can generally get around it by using MacTheRipper, OSEx (or in the past vlc) or similar which treats the drive as a standard bit-access device and decodes the encrypted data in software. However, there are dvd drives on the market that prevent this kind of access (I believe the UJ-845 is one of these) and in addition to this hardware level check, the OS X DVD player also has a separate software check on the region.

digger1914
16th January 2007, 06:00 PM
I
yeah, but there's no stable version of mactheripper that work on intel macs

I just tried a region 1 dvd, and there was no prompts about region change on DVD Player, or VLC

I have no problem using mactheripper on my MBP. Never had a crash. Am I lucky?

cgollner
16th January 2007, 07:04 PM
Ultimately the easiest way *shudder* is to have a Windows box around with AnyDVD and Nero on it. It all my Windows box is used for and as such barely gets powered on these days.