PDA

View Full Version : With the iPhone, I don't need a computer!

morgs
11th January 2007, 05:13 PM
When I explained the iPhone to one of my staff this morning, this was her response:

"With the iPhone, I don't need a computer!"

No one has mentioned it yet. But the way she sees it. If she can carry her music, check her emails, look up movies in Safari and of course make phone calls, then that is all of her needs covered.

Any thoughts?

It would not be enough for me. But I could fully see it being enough for many people. I understand that she would still need a mac to manage her music, but she could just use a friends computer for that.

mechcon
11th January 2007, 05:16 PM
word processing... ???

morgs
11th January 2007, 05:20 PM
She is a good friend also, which is why I can say this.

This girl does not process words.

Email/SMS/Talk, that in itself is quite a lot of word processing.

Rasta
11th January 2007, 05:20 PM
As long as she's not needing a computer in the next 12-18 months....

Johnny Appleseed
11th January 2007, 05:22 PM
I made a similar observation in the iPhone = Newton 2.0 thread!

morgs
11th January 2007, 05:24 PM
I made a similar observation in the iPhone = Newton 2.0 thread!

Cool, I am glad that someone agrees. It really makes a lot of sense to me.

Johnny Appleseed
11th January 2007, 05:25 PM
The name "iPhone" is quite inadequate when you consider what it does. It's more like a Mac nano!

mechcon
11th January 2007, 05:26 PM
typical computer user may not need a computer with the iphone... but the day that audio/film/multimedia can done on an iphone (instead) is the day i become a luddite

marc
11th January 2007, 05:27 PM
Well... she'll need a computer to load up the iPhone with music etc and to charge it (maybe not charge).

mechcon
11th January 2007, 05:27 PM
haha pwned :)

morgs
11th January 2007, 05:29 PM
Well... she'll need a computer to load up the iPhone with music etc and to charge it (maybe not charge).

Not really a hard thing to overcome. And I bet Cingular would love to be able to give her the option to download music directly to her phone. Maybe one day she won't even need the comp for that?

adam89
11th January 2007, 05:32 PM
Not really a hard thing to overcome. And I bet Cingular would love to be able to give her the option to download music directly to her phone. Maybe one day she won't even need the comp for that?

Telstra already provides this service on their NextG network, but thats for the bigpond music store...

Johnny Appleseed
11th January 2007, 05:41 PM
Wireless .Mac will let you keep all your stuff on a server in the sky!

Goodbye
11th January 2007, 05:41 PM
With computers getting smaller and smaller it's only a matter of time I guess. And future revisions of the ApplePhone will have more and more capabilities!

bolle
11th January 2007, 05:42 PM
if they opened up the OS to 3rd party software, it'd very close to a handy laptop. One of the first things that sprung to mind was using it as a computer in itself, morgs. This would almost be perfect for my parents, who just check email, internet banking etc over our wireless network

dolbinau
11th January 2007, 06:24 PM
The name "iPhone" is quite inadequate when you consider what it does. It's more like a Mac nano!

yeah, it is the Widescreen iPod, Phone and Tablet we have been waiting for.

jibbon
11th January 2007, 06:24 PM
This is the reason I get annoyed by the naysayers who pronounce the iPhone a gimmick and proceed to list of all that is wrong with it. They have missed the crucial point - it's called an iPhone, but it is much much more (even more in future). I don't think it's far off to say that it could replace your computer if all you use your computer for is email, web and music. Until they announced the actual product, I couldn't be convinced I needed an Apple phone - now my wife has been put on alert that any extra money is going into Josh's iPhone fund. It's exactly what I've been hoping someone would make. All it needs to make it perfect is a pdf/doc/ebook reader. My poor mac mini might be a little neglected once I get one.

Johnny Appleseed
11th January 2007, 07:19 PM
With the iPod and now the iPhone, Apple is leveraging QuickTime and OS X/WebKit as the platforms for all the world's information and entertainment!

iPirate
11th January 2007, 07:24 PM

I hate to be a spoilsport, but what it does do can cost lots of money, and some of the things it can't do, would be very cheap if not free. Examples are Instant Messenging. Instead of that you have a 22 cents a message SMS history that is made to look like an iChat convo. Also there is no VIOP, so you can't ring people over Skype (or AIM) for free.

Not only does this iPhone make a lot of money for Apple, it also makes a load of money for the carrier and basically everyone except the user with the hefty phone bill at the end of the month.

A Mac mini will fit in your pocket and give you virtually free internet, email, instant messenging, VOIP, etc. But an iPhone is the gift that keeps on taking.

Kuma
11th January 2007, 07:28 PM
I made the same point over in the iPhone thread...
I still need my desktop.. but I wont need an notebook...
definately going to be selling my powerbook soon.

morn
11th January 2007, 07:33 PM
It just needs a phone version of Pages and then you don't need a computer, at least if your needs are small.
It does have bluetooth btw, all you need is ablity to connect bluetooth keyboard to it and a mobile Pages you have a decent word processor. ;)
Note that Windows Mobile has excel and word, it's a strange thing to leave out.

Kuma
11th January 2007, 07:34 PM
I hate to be a spoilsport, but what it does do can cost lots of money, and some of the things it can't do, would be very cheap if not free. Examples are Instant Messenging. Instead of that you have a 22 cents a message SMS history that is made to look like an iChat convo. Also there is no VIOP, so you can't ring people over Skype (or AIM) for free.

You cant mix SMS and IM.

Here in Japan you can send emails which cost maybe 5 or less (5c)
Phone IM is cheaper still...

Then if the iPhone finds an open wireless point IM away til your hearts content.

Yes the phone will make the carrier money... but it functions as a computer when in a wireless zone. ie In San Francisco you will be able to use the internet and IM features at no cost

Another point.. the one man who has played with the phone the most (who doesnt work for Apple) says that the phone is nowhere near finished. A lot of the stuff on it are just placeholders....

nobody (outside of Apple and maybe Cingualr) knows what this phone will be doing when it is released..... but the potential is staggering....

The Fluffy Duck
11th January 2007, 07:50 PM
I have a friend that HATES APPLE. He went to great lengths to put down the iphone. saying there isnt a signle thing thats inovative about it. I simply said "name one thing thats better" .He paused and said "I dont need it".

I honestly think this is the first TRUE "convergence" device :)

P.S I think your work friend will want a computer becasue they way pricing of data to mobile phones goes in this country she better sacrifice her first born son :(

entropy
11th January 2007, 07:51 PM
I suspect that apple will restrict 3rd party software to a similar model to the ipod games. Only available thru the itunes store.
And morn is on the money with the bt keyboard idea. I would not want to type a lot on a solid screen. No tactile response. But a big step up on the cramped crackberry keyboard.

Alec Fraser
11th January 2007, 08:28 PM
So if all you have is an iPhone...how do you get music and video to it? You can't download it over WiFi, you still have to sync with iTunes.

morgs
11th January 2007, 08:29 PM
If nothing else I think we can safely say that the possibilities are just around the corner if not months away.

I don't think the iPhone will simply change things about the phone industry, I think the iPhone simply changes things.

Brentnal
11th January 2007, 08:31 PM
I don't know about anyone else..

But apart from simple text messaging and calling people, the email and internet features are only useful when you can't access a computer. When you have the luxury of using a computer (sitting around home, or at an office) I'd much prefer having a larger-than-3.5-inch screen to read things, multi-task, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is certainly an amazing device, but hardly a "computer replacement".

That's my 2c worth :P

Aa
11th January 2007, 08:45 PM
Maybe in Version 3 or 4

For the monitor you could use a peripheral device with your tv or any screen.

Hook up to WiFi or transfer from your .mac or server for Music Downloads, Files or Storage etc..

hmmm... yeah, i can see it happening.
it'll need to be more open to developers, have some fat flash storage and a decent little processor.

euphospug
11th January 2007, 09:08 PM
CAPT OBVIOUS INCOMING!!!!

through the appleTV.
think about it.

1 - Come home from work.
2 - Conect to the internet via iPhone (through WiFi G2.5, G3 or whatever comes next), .
3 - (it's not 100% there YET, but I'm sure its coming) Download movies/ tv/music through the iPhone. Or maybe you've done this throughout the day.
4 - Sync to the aTV.
5 - Watch your movie/TV show/music etc on your widescreen TV.
6 - Plug in the iPhone through the handy USB port that's on the back of the aTV to charge it after you are done and going to bed.

The tv BECOMES the monitor.
The iPhone BECOMES the computer.
And the aTV is the interface betweene them.

This is limited of course to the uses that the first poster mentioned. But I think it's great. So many computers are being under-used. Think of the processing power of the lowest iMac - yeah its great for reading email, surfing the web, but 3-5 years ago, a graphic designer / music producer / film editor would have died for that power.

With this first stage it looks like apple is getting the COMPUTER back to being a COMPUTER, unclutered by the minutia of day-to-day interaction, but 100% purely for COMPUTATIONAL activities. Including GAMING, WORD PROCESSING etc etc.

I'm not saying that email etc won't be on the computers but think of the iPhone as the next gen of iMac -the INTERNET MAC, as Steve Jobs Christained it - the device for connecting to the world. Using the aTV and your TV, your computer is then free for every other aspect and your 'digital lifetstyle' is now in your living room.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if you'll be able to use the iPhone as an Apple remote in a later iteration, controlling your aTV via bluetooth or WiFi or whatever.

SRG
11th January 2007, 09:12 PM
For my 2c I also don't think I want to live on a screen that size. Also as noted there is no doubt the charges for using it will soon kill the idea that it replaces a macbook or a Imac.

ClockWork
11th January 2007, 09:19 PM
I think it's at this point I'd really like to get off the entire ride. I've been meaning to get out of computers for the last X years, and the iPhone would give me the perfect excuse.

Lordy knows what kinds of problems are going to crop up with that... thing.
Lordy knows how many HELPS! and AHHHHHhhhhhhghs! there are going to be.

Watching the demo, watching that white dot spring from touch letter to touch letter so bleedin' fast to type... surely not... surely far too small for a finger - and noticed any e-mail typed in the demo was very short indeed.

I can see people staring themselves into far-sighted blindness.

Stop the techno boom please. I wanna get off!

ETHERSPIN
11th January 2007, 09:39 PM
expect the iphone nano in Razr formfactor..
now that they have scaled os x for phones

Brentnal
11th January 2007, 10:34 PM
Again, I don't think using a TV as a computer will work.

You can't "word process" effectivley. To do that you sit at a desk in the correct position. I find it much more comfortable using a desk and a PC/notebook rather than a TV.

Also with the TV is the picture quality, you either run low res to be able to read the text from a distance, or you up the res (for more real estate, or better quality) and it's too small to read from a distance....

TV's are only good as computers with a "front end" designed for it. IE, Front Row, Media Centre, etc.

euphospug
12th January 2007, 12:02 AM
thats what I meant, the TV will be used for the 'entertainment' side of things - tunes, movies, tv shows, all the stuff that will soon be more available as downloadable content. and the regular desktop will be used for the other tasks that the computer is really good at

bushfire
12th January 2007, 01:31 AM
her main problem will be whether or not she agrees with the contract the service provider will supply this unit and its extras at. This could be a piece of equipment that will make your wallet lighter for years to come.