PDA

View Full Version : iPhone = Newton 2.0

Johnny Appleseed
10th January 2007, 01:03 PM
Does anyone else find the iPhone's simple button interface reminds them of the Newton? Apple is back in the PDA business! Only things missing are the stylus and handwriting recognition (but there's always the ModBook (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ModBook) for that!)

hawker
10th January 2007, 01:07 PM
Same thing I was thinking... About time too, Palm was the only contender, and all their products suck!

Aa
10th January 2007, 01:15 PM
i was thinking the same thing at lunch today.

They'll reintroduce the handwriting recognition in the MacPhone Pro™

hehe... you heard it here first folks

shaundesign
10th January 2007, 01:21 PM
The iphone technology also means they might be able to do a tablet mac. If they want to go in that direction.

entropy
10th January 2007, 01:31 PM
I bet this originally started off as a tablet, and then morphed into an ipod and phone.

downsys
10th January 2007, 01:32 PM
So far there has been no mention of the ability to add new software i.e Office/iWork, making it less than a smartphone. Not that I'm complaining, but it might not interest some power users.

lavo
10th January 2007, 01:39 PM
I agree. If it is a closed system, then its not a patch on the Newton. The newt had a lovely OOP language, and was really starting to hit its straps before Stevie pulled the pin.

It also means RIM have some real work to do in enticing developers. I imagine Apple are going to keep development around the iPhone pretty tight, even if they do open this up. Some bad press due to dodgy third party software could do some real damage, especially as Apple are entering a much more mature market than they did with the iPod.

Interesting times ahead!

Johnny Appleseed
10th January 2007, 01:44 PM
If it can run the same widgets as Dashboard, that'll be the next best thing to fully-fledged apps.

mac_man_luke
10th January 2007, 01:46 PM
if they are saying its based on osx i bet it will have open development, why would steve have mentioned cocoa if its closed?

marc
10th January 2007, 01:55 PM
So far there has been no mention of the ability to add new software i.e Office/iWork, making it less than a smartphone. Not that I'm complaining, but it might not interest some power users.
It runs OS X and widgets. I think Apple have every intention to make this as powerful as possible.

marc
10th January 2007, 01:56 PM
Some bad press due to dodgy third party software could do some real damage, especially as Apple are entering a much more mature market than they did with the iPod.

Interesting times ahead!
How is that different to a bad app being written for OS X?

areal
10th January 2007, 02:00 PM
See here (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/01/09/the-iphone-is-not-a-smartphone/).

lavo
10th January 2007, 02:08 PM
Because most of the world couldn't care less about OS X. Dodgy iPod batteries make it onto Today Tonight, but I don't remember TT running a story on how 10.3 had tha big FireWire bug :-)

The difference is that the world sees Apple as the company that makes iPods, and who just happen to sell a couple of computers on the side as well ;-) Now that Apple have dumped "Computer" from their name, it gives you a good idea where they are heading. If the Mac marketshare increases, great. But you can see their new goal is to dominate the way new media is distributed.

downsys
10th January 2007, 02:21 PM
It runs OS X and widgets. I think Apple have every intention to make this as powerful as possible.

I know that what Steve said. But we've yet to see what kind of applications it will support.

lavo
10th January 2007, 04:26 PM
I did read on macrumors though that developers have been told to start making their apps resolution independent. Not fully knowing what that means, is it safe to assume that your apps should be able to run on a small screen as well as a large screen?

will
10th January 2007, 05:25 PM
Ah the Newton - it could communicate with phones (with an adaptor) here in au 10 years ago:
it had handwriting recogiction, it had a simple interface, I had 3!

The Newton had excellent software like Powerforms!

Oh bring back! (and I paid $1200 for my Newton 2)

The joy of Mac

Johnny Appleseed
10th January 2007, 05:40 PM
I did read on macrumors though that developers have been told to start making their apps resolution independent. Not fully knowing what that means, is it safe to assume that your apps should be able to run on a small screen as well as a large screen?

Could be something to do with how the QWERTY keys magnify when you pass your finger over them, a la the OS X Dock.

BiRDBRAiN
10th January 2007, 05:46 PM
I think it was smart of Apple to drop the 'Computer' as we've seen in the past, the convergence of technologies and mediums is the natural progression of most computer based technologies and Apple is simply just thinking ahead to the future.

Johnny Appleseed
10th January 2007, 05:56 PM
Most of what I do on my Mac is Internet-related. I can now see myself doing a fair chunk of it on the iPhone when in range of my AirPort network (or any hotspot, for that matter).

dshan
10th January 2007, 06:23 PM
The best part is it's a whole new architecture that Apple Inc. can easily shrink (and expand) over time. E.g:

Common foundation: Multi-Touch i/f, embedded OS X, Dashboard, Bluetooth

iPhone: Phone + iPod + internet. $US499 - $US599

iPhone nano: Phone + iPod. Remove WiFi, internet apps (Safari and email, etc.). Phone calls plus music/TV/movies/photos. $US399?

iNet: Internet + iPod. Remove phone, voicemail, SMS. Add more flash (or 30-60GB HDD) Surf the web and email from any WiFi hotspot. Listen to music, watch movies/TV/photos. $US299 - $US349?

iPod (6G): iPod. Remove phone, voicemail, SMS, WiFi, internet apps. Add 80-120GB HDD. Music, movies/TV/photos using Multi-Touch and BT. $US249 - $US299

iSlayer
10th January 2007, 06:55 PM

i dont think we will see dekstop apps on the iphone. The screen is simply to small for standard apps.