PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Dog Linux

Disko
3rd March 2004, 10:00 AM
Hey,

the_argon has just downloaded YellowDog Linux for me to try out on my Powerbook.

I checked to see if disk1 would boot, it did - so i went through the installation process far enough too specify a location for the install. I noticed that my external HD doesn't show up. Does this mean i have to install it to my internal HD? Will i have to format/partition this drive, or can i just install it into a new folder...

I'd like to give Yellow Dog a shot - but i don't want to have to re-install MacOSX to do it.

Can anyone offer some advice? *looks at elvis* ;)

jameso
3rd March 2004, 11:20 AM
You will have trouble with the external HD, maybe clone your OS X install onto the external drive with Carbon Copy Cloner, then partition your internal drive for Yellow Dog.

jameso

elvis
3rd March 2004, 08:59 PM
YellowDog will happily sit beside OSX (or any other OS) on a hard disk. I've dual booted many a mac using yellow dog without dramas.

The tricky bit is partitioning your system to have some left-over space for YellowDog. You should only need 3-5GB or so for a complete full install, less for custom installs. But the problem lies in creating that 3GB of space.

Are there any free partition resizing applications for MacOSX?

Disko
3rd March 2004, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure about re-partitioning...

Here is my situation: I'm running 10.3. I wanted to install Yellow Dog on my external HD - but that can't happen because yellow dog wont look for my external HD.

So obviously i have to install on my internal HD.

Is there any way i can do it without formatting and reinstalling OSX? (or having to backup all of my data)

Cory5412
3rd March 2004, 10:18 PM
the short answer is "no" and the detailed answer is "No because YDL uses a different filing system than OSX"

I would suggest finding a b/w or iMac if you really really want YDL but don't want to borkout your PowerBook.

jameso
4th March 2004, 07:40 AM
you could swap the laptop HD out... but now we are just getting stupid

jameso

the_argon
4th March 2004, 05:37 PM
I don't think disko has another hd to swap back in...

I am dying to try it out myself, just need on oldish mac to run it on

anarchron
5th March 2004, 04:23 PM
Actually it is possible to install Linux on your PowerBook without loosing OSX, but I suggest to use Gentoo as it actually has better hardware detection and is a more powerful distro which will give you more control over your system

elvis
5th March 2004, 07:37 PM
Yeah, it looks like YDL is not loading the necessary firewire drivers during install. That's a bit sad.

Under linux mounted USB drives show up as /dev/sda (assuming you have no other SCSI drives installed), but I've yet to check for myself if any distro out there can install directly to a removalble USB disk. They are certainly moutable post install, but I'm not sure if the installation environment has drivers for them.

Gentoo is a good idea due to its "bleeding edge" nature, but do be aware that I've seen Gentoo reduce grown men to quivering piles of sook in a matter of hours. Definitely not for the new-to-linux, or those adverse to reading pages of documentation.

I might do me some googling and see where I land...

elvis
5th March 2004, 07:43 PM
.... and might I say HOLY COW you're in for some fun, my friend. :blink:

http://131.204.27.45/ydl-howto/index.html

Disko
5th March 2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by elvis@Mar 5 2004, 08:07 PM
I might do me some googling and see where I land...
Thanks elvis - I think i'd be one of those men turned to a crying mess...

jameso
6th March 2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by elvis@Mar 5 2004, 07:43 PM
.... and might I say HOLY COW you're in for some fun, my friend. :blink:

http://131.204.27.45/ydl-howto/index.html
This is why we pay apple too much money (or not enough?) for our hardware/software

jameso

Currawong
6th March 2004, 07:04 PM
Yellowdog will run on anything with a 603 or better that's PCI. This means those now almost worthless beige macs are the perfect candidate for an install. The only tricky thing is that "old world" macs (read: anything pre-G3 beige) need a bit of a funky act to get the CD and system booting properly.

You want at least 9Gb if you're going to install Yellowdog. a 4.5Gb drive, unless you don't install heaps of stuff, will be almost full by the time you're finished (or full enough it's not very usable for anything interesting).

However, it's very easy to install, set up and generally use, if not as easy as Mac OS X. It will also detect newly installed hardware, and allows you to use most generic PCI cards.