PDA

View Full Version : New Rumor ***APPLE iPHONE***

Rayd
15th December 2004, 10:57 PM
Apple iPhone by Motorola
New fuel was added to the Apple branded phone fire in a post at TreoMac.com, saying that Motorola was working on an Apple-branded phone with iTunes and iPhoto integration. According to the post, the phone featured a top-located media card slot, and possibly a bottom-located USB port.

No other information is available as of yet.

Link to page. (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/12/20041209134556.shtml)

Phillip
15th December 2004, 11:03 PM
I really don't think so.

Apple doesn't and won't (IMO) put Media card slots in their products.

Apple uses Firewire and not USB. And its a phone. Why do you need USB when there's BT

Most of the rumors before a Macworld/Apple show not from "normal" sites are fake. I have learnt from the past.

And why would Apple introduce a Phone all of a sudden?

Ozi
15th December 2004, 11:04 PM
nice! :)

i really want an apple phone...

Rayd
15th December 2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Dec 15 2004, 11:03 PM
I really don't think so.

Apple doesn't and won't (IMO) put Media card slots in their products.

Apple uses Firewire and not USB. And its a phone. Why do you need USB when there's BT

Most of the rumors before a Macworld/Apple show not from "normal" sites are fake. I have learnt from the past.

And why would Apple introduce a Phone all of a sudden?
well the reason for media cards is because that is was all phones are using and by the way lets not forget that this is a phone made BY motorola FOR Apple. and the firewire thing... is purely because of the fact that PC ppl use USB more than Firewire.. chances are they dont even know what firewire is... and one more thing... apple had said that they were partnering up with motorola to put iTunes into a mobile... so this is a logical step.

then again i may be reallly ecited because i want a apple iPhone and beliving anything because its 12:15 and im tired. so yer. :D

LCGuy
15th December 2004, 11:20 PM
They've been saying this since 2001, and it still hasn't happened yet.

Rayd
15th December 2004, 11:26 PM
what? no they said that they partnered up with them around the middle of this year...

here's the link direct from the apple site http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jul/26motorola.html

and some more news on where the rumor came from are here http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000540022981/

LCGuy
15th December 2004, 11:31 PM
Right. Well i'm sure i remember hearing rumours about an "Apple Phone" in 2001.

Phillip
15th December 2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Dec 16 2004, 12:09 AM
well the reason for media cards is because that is was all phones are using and by the way lets not forget that this is a phone made BY motorola FOR Apple. and the firewire thing... is purely because of the fact that PC ppl use USB more than Firewire.. chances are they dont even know what firewire is... and one more thing... apple had said that they were partnering up with motorola to put iTunes into a mobile... so this is a logical step.

then again i may be reallly ecited because i want a apple iPhone and beliving anything because its 12:15 and im tired. so yer. :D
Made by Motorola with Motorola name and brand - Yes
Made by Motorola with Apple name "iPhone" and brand - No

Or to add to this rumor, maybe they are making an iPhone with built in flash memory - thats why Apple is buying loads of the flash memory right now! :D

Currawong
16th December 2004, 07:16 AM
Phillip is right, because if Apple branded it, they'd have to provide support and documentation. By having Moto produce a Mac-compatible phone, Moto take care of everything.

iSlayer
16th December 2004, 07:23 AM
and we all know that apple wont make a pda
i think that virtually rules out a phone aswell.

a moto phone with appe software for sure

iluvmymactoo
16th December 2004, 08:00 AM
It could be likely that Motorola are working on an Apple specific phone under advice by them, but hardly likely that Apple are actually going to produce it.

Isn't there a Nokia phone that uses window$ technology around? Maybe this so called "iPhone" will be similar to that idea and in that case this would be a Motorola project.

Mark T
16th December 2004, 04:19 PM
Yea, Apple better soon release some sort of 'phone.

Even if only to give some legitimacy to their domain name: http://www.iphone.org

Ronin+Scissors
16th December 2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Dec 16 2004, 07:23 AM
and we all know that apple wont make a pda
i think that virtually rules out a phone aswell.

a moto phone with appe software for sure
Steve has said that Apple won't make a PDA because he sees PDA functionality being absorbed into the mobile phone market. If I recall correctly he said he didn't want to enter the crowded phone market, but when you consider convergence, Apple will probably want to enter it in some capacity if they want to retain any of their iPod revenue.

-Ronin with Scissors

the_OM
16th December 2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Dec 15 2004, 11:48 PM
Made by Motorola with Motorola name and brand - Yes
Made by Motorola with Apple name "iPhone" and brand - No
Well its happened before
Apple iPod from HP or sometimes its called Apple iPod + HP

So we could have Apple iPhone + Motorola
It'd just be a moto internals with white apple design or something
and they'd market is as a limited edition motorola phone that has been designed by apple.

You just know that if its true its going to be white with polished silver. And it'll probably have its own scroll wheel or something on it. Apple is going to make some serious bank off the whole ipod craze.

rockinrobstar
16th December 2004, 06:38 PM
Could it just be something like iTunes for Symbian OS (http://www.symbian.com) ?

Where else to download your ringtones from but the iTunes Music Store ?

Mark T
16th December 2004, 08:59 PM
Didn't Apple already bring out the iPhone? ;)

Rayd
16th December 2004, 09:42 PM
woah that looks so real whos your editor? that looks 100% belivable... where did you get it from?

Phillip
16th December 2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Dec 16 2004, 07:13 PM
Well its happened before
Apple iPod from HP or sometimes its called Apple iPod + HP

So we could have Apple iPhone + Motorola
It'd just be a moto internals with white apple design or something
and they'd market is as a limited edition motorola phone that has been designed by apple.

You just know that if its true its going to be white with polished silver. And it'll probably have its own scroll wheel or something on it. Apple is going to make some serious bank off the whole ipod craze.
The difference is people are saying Motorola is going to design and make it. What will Apple gain from that? It can only lower the reputation of Apple's design team.

Apple iPod + HP is really just HP reselling the iPod. BUT HP gets to put in [HP: INVENT] on it and in return they supply iTunes across their consumer computers.

Apple doesn't know how to design a Phone thats going to be as good as the iPod in music players. Take the iPod in this case, it took them a while before the third generation iPod which ignited the iPod Phenomenon. The best Apple can do is work with Motorola and start learning from them. Maybe latter on, if they are confident enough, then they will make a Smartphone. A PDA + a Phone. Thats the future.

Disko
17th December 2004, 09:08 AM
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000997023998/
Apple and Moto announce partnership on cellphone
There’s been a lot of mublings about Motorola and Apple working on a cellphone together, and even an iTunes capable phone Moto was already supposed to roll out. Today, however, the bomb dropped: Apple officially announced some kind of cellphone partnership which would result not just in a Motorola phone that is iTunes capable, but in something users could call a proper “accessory” to their iPod, chiefly one that Apple should have a large part in the interface and exterior design of. The phone should be expected to have fully-enabled Bluetooth (spitting right in Verizon’s eye) and run “mid-range” (i.e. estimated $200-350 US), which we certainly didn’t see coming. As usual, we only know what little bit has leaked from Apple themselves, so we’ll keep you up to the minute with the usual rumors and conjecture as we get it. Until MacWorld, anyway.

thomas
17th December 2004, 09:49 AM
I don't see the point in being able to download (via bluetooth or some download service) songs onto a phone. Hardly any storage space, the download would take forever (assuming you could fit a decent amount of songs onto it), and the battery life would suck total ass.

I mean it looks and sounds like a great gadget, but really, whats the point? And i'm sure we wont' be able to use it in Australia for some reason anyway....

yinyang
17th December 2004, 10:08 AM
"We've said we have something coming on this in the first half of 2005 and we're definitely on schedule for that. Hopefully you'll be able to see more about it soon," says Eddy Cue, vice president in charge of applications at Apple

http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2004/12...h_1216aapl.html (http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2004/12/16/cx_ah_1216aapl.html)

more fuel for the fire...!

maybe i should hold off on that razr v3 after all B)

roll on macworld SF :D

pipsqeek
17th December 2004, 03:08 PM
I can't wait to see some Universal/Ultimate/ it does everything mediocre.

Maybe its just me, but I hate things that do too many things.

eg: Calculator watch. They just look like shit.

LCGuy
19th December 2004, 12:04 AM
I agree, Madeline. I don't see the point in having a device that's a watch, digital camera, calculator, GameBoy, PDA and mp3 player all in one that doesn't do anything properly, when i can have each thing as a seperate device that does its job properly.

Rayd
19th December 2004, 12:15 AM
woah.. apple has just sued an "unnamed person" for releasing information about a "unreleased product" could be the iPhone! :D

the_OM
19th December 2004, 01:00 AM
imagine how good the phones interface would be though if apple designed an OS for cellphones. With phones using as much as 1gb of memory nowadays it does seem feasible that apple could come up with Macintosh CE or MAC OS phone (like the whole windows things for pda's and smart phones). And basically just incorporate it to the digital lifestyle. Like adding isync to the ilife packages and giving it access to itunes for ringtones and music, and adding a cellphone camera with like 3 megapixels and enabling it to download to iphoto (and upload for phone wallpapers). It would be pretty cool having a phone that would seemlessly integrate with your mac (or even windows if they ported isync to windows for it).

I think it could be pretty cool if apple designed the phone software and the case design (obviously modelled on the ipod) and used motorola hardware to run the thing and then just call it the iPod phone then they'd probably have a shitload of buyers for it.

Rayd
19th December 2004, 08:52 AM
yes i would love a Dock on a phone :D that wouild be sweet!

zac
28th December 2004, 10:51 AM
As I recall, Steve said he didn't want to enter the phone market because of the difficulties involved in distribution. He said that phones are usually purchased on plans, and that Apple would find it difficult to break into the market. Also, Apple hasnt had an experience in building mobile phones, and like the iPod originally would have to seek external help in creating one.
However, allied with Motorola, Apple can easily leech of Motorola's distribution and use their wealth of experience to build the phone. I think its a go'er guys.

kim jong il
28th December 2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Dec 16 2004, 10:42 PM
woah that looks so real whos your editor? that looks 100% belivable... where did you get it from?
It absolutely smacks of Danas influence to me. Its a plot. They're collaborating :P

woah.. apple has just sued an "unnamed person" for releasing information about a "unreleased product"
Furthermore we may have to look into her current financial status :)

frenchtoast
28th December 2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Dec 28 2004, 02:49 PM
It absolutely smacks of Danas influence to me. Its a plot. They're collaborating :P
I think i've just figured it out.

Dana is Steve Job's Mistress :o

Exocet
28th December 2004, 04:32 PM
Poster's a fake ;)

If you read carefully under "Something borrowed" it says that it uses sony-ericcson, which we know to be false as they have abandoned bluetooth and not only that the Apple deal is with motorolla.

That's not to deny the fact that that phone looks amazingly sweet, but alas no :(

also, it's not using myriad for the font :)

DJY
23rd January 2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by yinyang@Dec 17 2004, 10:08 AM
maybe i should hold off on that razr v3 after all
Mmmm I keep going back to this little beautiful thing!
Would make an ideal companion for my 17"PB!

It isn't listed in the compatible devices though for iSync? but I think I have seen in some forums that it sync's ok via cable with iCal and Address Book... and possibly even via bluetooth with newer PB and iBooks? Can anyone confirm this?

A mate just got a SE S700 but I'm almost thinking that the Motorola v3 RAZR should be my next phone? I'm still not convinced that there will be any iPhone... especially after recent announcements by both Steve and Motorola.

Anyone got any knowledge on the v3? Anyone bought one?

aswitcher
24th January 2005, 05:15 AM
Moto have some brilliant stuff coming out and from this I suspect their iTunes capable phones will be pretty fab.

Check out http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=479 for there new but still tiny FULLY featured MPx (Wifi, BT, Pocket PC, 1+ megapixel camera, full keyboard) in a 10cm x 6cm x 2.5cm package...

or the smaller E680 linux OS phone http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=491 "Motorola's first Linux-based phone outside of China. This powerful entertainment-focused phone features a large QVGA touchscreen, VGA camera with advanced video capture, Bluetooth, Java with 3D graphics, FM radio, MP3 player, stereo speakers, and 50 MB of memory plus an SD memory card slot" It has a touch screen! iPhone here we come.

I think we can expect BIG things from moto and apple this year.

DJY
24th January 2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by aswitcher@Jan 24 2005, 05:15 AM
Check out http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=479 for there new but still tiny FULLY featured MPx (Wifi, BT, Pocket PC, 1+ megapixel camera, full keyboard) in a 10cm x 6cm x 2.5cm package...

Now this two way flip is interesting!!!!

but its a Pocket PC with Outlook?!?!?!?!?!
and would need to see one... how many keys are there on this little baby?
Mmmmm maybe I should hold off buying a new phone though.

Mohawk
2nd March 2005, 08:19 PM
Personally, I would love to see the click wheel used like an old school dialing phone (the ones where you put the finger in a move it to the number... you know what I mean :P )... except that would stuff up txting... on second thoughts forget it...

djfusion
2nd March 2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by DJY@Jan 23 2005, 10:14 PM

A mate just got a SE S700 but I'm almost thinking that the Motorola v3 RAZR should be my next phone? I'm still not convinced that there will be any iPhone... especially after recent announcements by both Steve and Motorola.

Anyone got any knowledge on the v3? Anyone bought one?
I own the S700 and a couple of mates have the V3 - the V3 looks awesome, the screen is alright, the keypad is brilliant, the camera is ordinary, the speaker is terrific, but the only real letdown imo is the 4MB of memory - hardly even enough for a few themes, games, ringtones and photos imo.

S700 is far better, and you get all the iSync support, but then it's also much bigger soooo.. :unsure:

I'll probably sell my S700 for the W800 though:

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2005/image/se1march/w800/w800.jpg

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=ca&...m=pp1&pid=10245 (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=ca&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_loader&php=PHP1_10245&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10245)

2mp cam, 1GB duo pro support, BT etc etc... yum! :lol:

scruffie
2nd March 2005, 08:46 PM
Yup I'm up for that too :)
Can't wait for that one to come out!

Rayd
2nd March 2005, 09:16 PM
actually i am realling likeing the Z800 and the K600i! they are both 3g phones, and have great looks/ features! take a look! http://www.sonyericsson.com/cannes/flash.html

DJY
2nd March 2005, 09:38 PM
They do look interesting!
Anyone heard of any release dates though? For the the 2 x 3G or that other nice looking new Sony Ericsson shown above?

Ozi
2nd March 2005, 09:54 PM
K600i is sooo a rip-off of the iPod Mini's design. :rolleyes:

I really want a W800 now. Especially if they come in colours other than "tangerine" :) Hopefully a nice blue will be available.

Rayd
2nd March 2005, 10:07 PM
the 2 3g ones are going to be released when vodaphone launches its 3g service tocompete with "3" which should be in the near months to come. but, i know a girl that can get Z800's now because she works at voda. and they cost around $750

graemie
23rd July 2006, 04:48 PM
More fuel to the fire....

"Apple's Tacit Acknowledgement Of iPhone Plans (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple-039-s-Tacit-Acknowledgement-Of-iPhone-Plans-30516.shtml)

Currawong
23rd July 2006, 06:16 PM
I love how people twist words to derive new meanings. When people tend to think of Apple's plans, their thoughts are almost always to simplistic. From the article: Peter Oppenheimer was quoted as saying:

“We are very confident in our ability to compete in the marketplace. And we're very excited about what we have in the product pipeline, and you know that I can't comment on that,” Oppenheimer said. “As regards cell phones, we don't think that the phones that are available today make the best music players. We think the iPod is. But over time, that is likely to change. And we're not sitting around doing nothing.”[/b]

Note that "what's in the pipeline" competing with mobile phones doesn't necessarily mean a mobile phone, it could mean something that keeps people choosing iPod's over phones for music playing and other features, just as the capacity and features of the iPod are far greater than that of any phone currently available. The "sitting around doing nothing" just cements the same thing, which is that Apple isn't just sticking with the same ideas. The evolution of the iPod has shown that.

This doesn't mean that Apple won't come out with a phone ever. But I'm absolutely certain that Apple wont just ask Moto or any other manufacturer to make a phone for them in the manner that everyone's been predicting. If they did, they wouldn't be offering anything unique compared to what's already available.

The problem with comments about mobile phones, mp3 players and PDA's is that, despite all the hype, noone has created a multi-featured device that actually is both a good phone AND a good PDA AND a good music player (or any combination of those two). As soon as anyone has tried to combine a phone with a music player or PDA, something goes out the window - features, drive capacity, size or price, or most importantly, battery life! Noone likes the idea of their phone going flat while listening to music!

The nail in the coffin, at least for Apple is, the mobile phone market is so cutthroat, with customers often expecting to get phones for nothing. I doubt Apple would have a hope in hell of selling a phone for $1000 (that's what it'd end up costing) when you can get great phones almost for free.

I'm very sure that eventually the technology will make it feasable, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Apple have toyed with developing music-playing phones. By the time it matters, I'm sure they'll have spent at least a good couple of years developing whatever it is we end up seeing.

Starscream
23rd July 2006, 06:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipod_man &#064; Dec 19 2004, 12&#58;15 AM) 25478</div>

woah.. apple has just sued an "unnamed person" for releasing information about a "unreleased product" could be the iPhone&#33; :D
[/b]

i bet apple makes a fair bit of their dayley &#39;sueings&#39;.

marc
23rd July 2006, 07:54 PM
I completely agree with everything Currawong said.

Also, think about the past. Apple make very big, bold, calculated moves. Unlike most of their competitors, they don&#39;t release several competing products to see which one succeeds (Sony anyone?).