PDA

View Full Version : jumpers

kim jong il
9th January 2007, 07:53 PM
Forgive the n00b question but I have purchased a new drive (HD) for my stepfather and the jumper is separate. He has an early G3 iBook and I need to know; should the jumper be set to drive 1 or cable select? (obviously drive 0 is the inbuilt CD) That is what I figure anyway.

TIA,

kim

Sam
9th January 2007, 08:07 PM
cable select most laptop drives I have encountered are

iPirate
9th January 2007, 08:10 PM
Just google what they normally are...

Waait. Are we talking internal or external... Internal: find what they're normally set at. External: drive 1 should be ok.

kim jong il
9th January 2007, 08:34 PM
Just google what they normally are...

Waait. Are we talking internal or external... Internal: find what they're normally set at. External: drive 1 should be ok.

Google is good but not always useful. :).. It's the internal HD being replaced. (BTW I'm not a laptop man)

PS. I want to ASK a question just for a change.;)

antechinus55
9th January 2007, 08:43 PM
you should not need to set the jumpers on an internal laptop hdd. the ribbon cable that connects both the cd/dvd and the hdd to the logic board has additional pins at the hdd end (female from memory, just can't see one amongst my 2 1/2 laptops, all in bits) that set the drive correctly. at least that is the way g3 ibooks work.
no need to thank me, abuse always welcome

Currawong
9th January 2007, 08:52 PM
What antechinus said, you don't need to put any jumper on the drive.

kim jong il
20th January 2007, 06:03 AM
What antechinus said, you don't need to put any jumper on the drive.

This turned out to be the correct answer (I was providing advice to a third party and had no physical access to the machine to check anything for myself). To clear things up for future reference. The CD/DVD and HD utilise separate ATA buses apparently and so should both be set to drive 0 (which seems to be jumperless for most drives). Thanks for the input all and the PM from fang.

Cheers. :)