PDA

View Full Version : MBP - random shutdowns

scruffie
9th January 2007, 06:16 PM
All of a sudden i have been experiencing random shutdowns. Actually its just been after the whole Melbourne heatwave (stupid heatwave). Anyway would anyone have a rough idea on what this may be?

I've got the logic board replaced after this hissing. But that was a while back...

Squozen
9th January 2007, 06:46 PM
Probably the heatsink issue, see a repair centre.

timwallG5
9th January 2007, 06:47 PM
Are you sure it's a MacBook Pro? (i.e. silver casing)
They don't usually suffer the same problem as the MacBook...

ClockWork
9th January 2007, 06:54 PM
Sounds like yet another hardware fault, possibly relating to the Processors over-heating.

However - you yourself can test this. Firstly, plug your MBP to it's power cord. You need to perform this in cool (cooler?) room, and possibly at night, so you don't have the same temperature (heat wave) conditions you guys have been experiencing.

The test requires you to use your Terminal.

To get to your Terminal, open Macintosh HD ->> open Applications folder ->> open Utilities folder ->> locate and open Terminal.app

1. Try the following (exactly as is shown here) - type in:

yes >/dev/null &

and press your return key on your keyboard.

This will make maximum use of just one of your two processors.

2. Next, type the same command into your same Terminal window:

yes >/dev/null &

and press your return key on your keyboard once again.

This will make full use of both processors.

3. Shortly after, you should hear your MBP's fans kick in pretty loud.
Leave your MBP running and leave the Terminal window open, for 15 minutes. Do not use your MBP for this period of time.

4. If your MBP has not suffered a random shut-down during this 15 minute period, quit the Terminal. Apple:cmd: key held down in conjuction with the Q key, to Quit.
Your MBPs fans should steadily get back to normal within 5 minutes of Quitting the Terminal.

5. Now, just leave your MBP "on" and plugged in for 30 minutes. Do not use it. If it does suffer a random shut-down - it's likely to be within the next 20 minutes.

6. However - if your MBP does not suffer a random shut down, repeat steps 1 to 4 at least two more times. If your MBP does not suffer a random shut down during those two repeat tests, then it may be reasonable to presume that it is the Melbourne heat that caused the problem.

If your MBP shuts down randomly - thus failing the above tests - or during one of the tests, it's a hardware fault and back to Apple it goes, for hardware replacement or repair.

cw

scruffie
9th January 2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks CW, i'll try that.
I've found out that it happens when i am running Azureus and doing something else. Oh even waking the computer up sometimes trigger a random shutdown.

Yup, its a 1st Gen MBP. :(

Kirium
9th January 2007, 08:11 PM
Side note - Is the current C2D MBP considered Rev.B after the October update? Are Macs still classed by different revisions??

speedway boy
9th January 2007, 08:19 PM
yeah I've been down this road with this problem with my macbook pro.
Been back twice. They have replaced the battery and the logic board twice.

Now wondering if its starting to happen again. Always begins when its been in sleep for a while. You go to turn in on but it needs power. You think its just low battery but after a while you discover it had plenty of juice before you left it.

I'll try clockworks idea if I'm game, but terminal scares me.

scruffie
9th January 2007, 08:37 PM
Tried clockworks one but it was all fine and dandy.
Yes come to think of it, it has happened more often when I wake up my laptop. But then again, my computer doesn't really spin down but rather just turns off the screen (once again I've got Azureus happily running in the background). As soon as I wake up my comp and login it dies.
MBP is connected to the mains and there's no problem with the powercords.

ClockWork
9th January 2007, 08:44 PM
So if it has failed those tests and still continues its random shut downs, unfortunately it must go back to Apple Repairs. Hardware fault.

cw

scruffie
9th January 2007, 09:16 PM
Bah. Sorry Clockwork - i didn't read your post properly. I read those tests before being applied with the macbooks and just ran with it.

It just crapped out on me again. This time when i was using VLC and plugging in my ipod. Sigh. Now I have to back up my stuff and take my baby into hospital. Sigh.

Malakai
9th January 2007, 09:36 PM
My MacBook PRO had the same problem and it was one of the memory SO-DIMM's in the end.

Download memtest for OS X and run it, if it reboots (after varying amounts of time) every time you run memtest like mine did then the RAM is likely the problem. I removed one SO-DIMM and memtested again then the other to narrow it down to the faulty one.

I got it replaced and then everything was back to normal.

scruffie
12th January 2007, 04:27 AM
Thanks Malakai. I'm downloading it right now.

I just got my macbook pro back from the hospital. They couldn't replicate the problems on my end. Meanwhile back at the batcave, it died ten times last night/this morning. They weren't very strenuous tasks.
Random shutdow n - Nothing open except Quicktime watching the keynote - computer dies at the target being the target.
Most recent shutdown - Firefox in the background, itunes in the front - computer dies when i try to eject ipod.

GRRRR. I am so tempted to just cut my losses, chuck my the mbp out of the window and by a macbook.

ClockWork
12th January 2007, 08:15 AM
Scruffie - I hate it when that happens and do sympathise with your predicament. It shuts down on you multiple times, yet the Techs tells you it didn't shut down once in the Repair Centre.

Does it know it's being watched?

I'd be persistant. I'd take it back. I'd power the little bastard up, and I'd keep it on as I was going to back to the Repair Centre, and then I'd attempt something while I was there to reveal a shut down.

For all you know, that particular Repair Centre may have just switched it on for 5 minutes and then switched it off - or they may have just switched it on and left it running without doing anything with it.

I had a similar problem with a G4 that was making henious noises all the time and slowing down. The reason the the Repair Centre Techies couldn't hear it, I eventually realized, was that the Repair Centre itself was always buzzing and humming from many other machines in repair, and my G4 was noiseless over the din.

Either this, or can you take it to another Apple Certified Repair Centre?

I really would persist - stand your ground - make yourself be heard.

cw