PDA

View Full Version : is my battery dying?

peajay
8th January 2007, 11:34 PM
hi folks

for the past few days my powerbook g4 12" battery is behaving erratically, and i am wondering if it's on its last legs ... for example ...

- battery won't charge even though it's plugged in overnight, or only shows a very tiny increase in charge next day
- when i use it on battery power, the computer will suddenly shut down with no warning and the internal clock is reset to 1970
- even when the power adapter is plugged in and the battery needs a good charge, the adapter ring is green rather than amber, indicating that it thinks the battery is charged or doesn't need one (?)

according to 'coconutbattery' the battery has been cycled 141 times over 23 months and still holds 1846mAh capacity from the original 4400mAh, which to me seems reasonable, but for some reason the battery just won't charge...

so i am wondering if it might be a problem with the adapter or the battery

any thoughts appreciated

thanks

QueenOfSwords
8th January 2007, 11:38 PM
hi folks

for the past few days my powerbook g4 12" battery is behaving erratically, and i am wondering if it's on its last legs ... for example ...

- battery won't charge even though it's plugged in overnight, or only shows a very tiny increase in charge next day
- when i use it on battery power, the computer will suddenly shut down with no warning and the internal clock is reset to 1970

according to 'coconutbattery' the battery has been cycled 141 times over 23 months and still holds 1846mAh capacity from the original 4400mAh, which to me seems reasonable, but for some reason the battery just won't charge...

Your PRAM sounds confused (The 1970's system date makes me think that)

You could try resetting that, it might fix the issue.

Huy
9th January 2007, 12:45 AM
Have you checked your serial number against the battery recall?

If your PB is 23 months old, it sounds like the one I had. A PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz purchased in Jan 2005.

Under 50% battery capacity is a little worrying. I would check your serial against the serial range for battery recalls.

http://www.apple.com/au/support/batteryexchange/2006/faq/

Woz
9th January 2007, 04:27 AM
Also try pulling out the AC, remove battery and hold down the power button for 10 seconds.

Byrd
9th January 2007, 08:36 AM

I'd try/borrow another power adapter if you can - even if the battery wasn't there it should still glow "green". However, 1846mah remaining is nominal - well below 50% and once past that Apple batteries generally "give up" and provide very erattic behaviour.

JB

peajay
9th January 2007, 08:58 AM
thanks guys

the battery charged from 31% to 33% overnight.... :mad:

i've tried the suggested resets and a different power adapter, but no change... for some reason the AC stays green even tho i need juice, and the battery only recharges intermittently (i see amber every two or three minutes, for a few seconds, and then it goes back to green)

huy yes the battery IS part of the recall... i was too busy late last year to do anything about it. i will get that happening immediately. i think this may be the problem.

thanks for your help and for reminding me to get a new battery. i'll be travelling on AC only for a week or so :o

pipsqeek
9th January 2007, 09:39 AM
Sounds more like the DC Board. If the lights are changing around from orange to green and back and forth.

I'd say, due to that behaviour the battery is probably dead or dying now as it has been charged erratically.

I'd look at getting the battery replaced with the recall, and look at warranty work for the DC Board.

pipsqeek