PDA

View Full Version : macbook - core 2 duo : RSS problems?

stefoid
8th January 2007, 04:14 PM
Hi thinking of buying a macbook. Lots of posts here and elsewhere about RSS (random shutdown scenario) is putting me off. There is even a website dedicated to this problem. One of the main attractions about the macbook for me is I want it not to physically break - magsafe power connector is a big attraction.

however, if it has RSS, I dont want a bar of it.

So the quesiton is, does the new core 2 duo version of the macbook have the RSS problem? In a sane world, apple would obviously take the opportunity to fix the RSS problem with this new version of the macbook, but is that actually the case?

anyone with a core 2 duo macbook had the RSS problem yet?

STK
8th January 2007, 04:16 PM
Nope, thats all been cleard up now.

stefoid
8th January 2007, 04:21 PM
Nope, thats all been cleard up now.

cool. out of interest, what was the exact problem - there seemed to be some debate amongst users. When/how was it addressed by apple?

timwallG5
8th January 2007, 05:03 PM
The original MacBook had a problem where the heatsink on top of the CPU would heat up during normal use, expand slightly (as hot objects do) and make contact with a nearby cable; which shorts out the Power Supply and acts as if the power had been cut suddenly.

Apple semi-responded by first swapping the logic boards (at that time they did not realise it was the heatsinks) with newer boards that had the same problem; then they responded properly by replacing the heatsink with a newly designed model that did not have the problem.

It caused much frustration, as any hardware flaw does, but Apple have addressed the problem - and it doesn't appear in the Core 2 Duo MacBooks.

STK
8th January 2007, 07:42 PM
Yea what he said. But apple fixed those defected macs at no cost if you were coverd.