PDA

View Full Version : g3 ibook on ebay, some advice?

oddturtle
7th January 2007, 06:25 PM
I am looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280067821248&fromMakeTrack=true

and quite keen to bid on it if the price is right.

Does anyone know how well OS 10.4 will run on a 700mhz g3, given the upgrades the seller has made? I need it for basic tasks like using the wifi internet, browsing and office applications, and I'm most interested in fast boot up times and quick program loads.

Pooyan
7th January 2007, 06:59 PM
My wife has a machine with very similar specification (only real difference is that hers is an 800MHz machine), and it's quite adequate for the usual internet (wifi web, email) stuff, as well as using Gimp.

I can't say how well it runs office applications though, that's not been tried on that machine. Boot up time is not normally an issue, given that OSX has fairly seamless "sleep" functionality. Program loads are a bit sluggish, but that depends on how impatient you are :)

oddturtle
7th January 2007, 07:18 PM
hmm... well I am quiet impatient. When the ibook is on sleep, how much power does that use relative to normal?

Mutters
7th January 2007, 07:20 PM
I'd suggest bidding as low as you can, like make your limit $200-250 and re-assess if it goes beyond this.
Even though, it has an airport card worth upwards of $100 on the open market.
The HD, Combo drive and Ram are plusses also.
Quick program loads? Hmm, it is a G3 remember.
As Pooyan says, the sleep feature is your friend.

Good bidding

mutters

oddturtle
7th January 2007, 07:54 PM
well i guess the g3 part is the one I need the most advice on. I have been a pc user all my life, and have never owned a mac. However I have been using imacs at my uni for the past year and I want to make the switch, so I'm selling my old compaq laptop and using the money buy a second hand ibook.

The only macs I have been using have been g4 and g5 imacs, and my friend's g4 ibook, I dont know much about the g3's. I would consider shelling out a bit more to get a g4 if the g3's are going to run like crap, especially with os 10.4. I have also heard heaps of problems with the g3s. 700mhz sounds like it would be quiet slow for the newest software so I really don't know, I want to make a smart purchase.

Byrd
7th January 2007, 07:56 PM
For the tasks you have in mind it will perform admirably, 10.4 boots quickly on most machines - this is generally dependant on hard disk speed, as do program loading times. Check to see that the 40GB drive in the eBay auction is 5400RPM - 4200RPM will make it boot and load a little slower.

10.4 generally runs better with a G4 processor, but this G3 is well specced than most. As a frequent user of an iBook G3 600Mhz model (similar specs to above), the graphic speed is disappointing but the 700Mhz model has a much better 16MB chipset. Apart from that I can use it happily for everything I throw at it.

Expect to pay to more than $500 - 600, but this is eBay so anything can happen really :)

JB

rtc
7th January 2007, 07:59 PM
well i guess the g3 part is the one I need the most advice on. I have been a pc user all my life, and have never owned a mac. However I have been using imacs at my uni for the past year and I want to make the switch, so I'm selling my old compaq laptop and using the money buy a second hand ibook.

The only macs I have been using have been g4 and g5 imacs, and my friend's g4 ibook, I dont know much about the g3's. I would consider shelling out a bit more to get a g4 if the g3's are going to run like crap, especially with os 10.4. I have also heard heaps of problems with the g3s. 700mhz sounds like it would be quiet slow for the newest software so I really don't know, I want to make a smart purchase.

i advise get a g4 if you want any kind of useable OSX performance.

The imacs you have used will most likely be quite a bit faster than the g3 ibook.

EDIT: Byrd's post just now should carry more weight than what I say above, as he has had specific experience with those machines.

Just don't expect to get performance or "feel" similar to the imacs you have been using, from a g3 ibook.

oddturtle
7th January 2007, 08:09 PM
hey thanks everyone for your help. ebay certainly is a little inconsistant with these ibooks. I would have thought the going rate would be pretty similar as I have been watching these, mainly I have been looking at the 12".

compare:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330063297906&rd=1&rd=1
- G4 1.2GHz 768MB 80GB and two month old battery - $635 listed about 2 weeks ago.

with

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190066781985&rd=1&rd=1
- G4 1.2ghz 512MB 30G - $865 and this still has 40 mins as I am posting till the auction ends

i am kicking myself for not getting that first one.

Byrd
7th January 2007, 08:09 PM
Yeah I agree rtc - alternating between a G4 Cube 550Mhz G4 and iBook G3 600Mhz, the difference is night and day. Clock for clock G3 vs G4, the G4 provides markedly better performance under OS X. (Mind you, the Cube is running a better graphics card, 7200RPM HD but it is much more responsive in general).

Having said that, for a basic office and net machine, an iBok G3 700Mhz isn't anything to sneeze at - it'll handle most things. Just don't expect to run 10 apps at once :p

JB

Byrd
7th January 2007, 08:12 PM
ebay certainly is a little inconsistant with these ibooks.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

That 1.2Ghz iBook would have been a nice pick up - there are rarely any bargains to be had on eBay in my opinion. There are dozens of iBooks at any time, so just keep your eye out and take particular attention of those ending at unusual times (during the day, early morning, etc). Hunt, track, and ye shall find a decently priced iBook :)

JB

Mutters
7th January 2007, 08:45 PM
While I agree with Byrd just about all of the time:thumbup: , paying anything like 500 bucks for a G3 iBook is just not on.
OK, those add-ons give it a lift, but not $200 worth.
Witness the G4 iBook you refer too. Yes it's uncommon, but not at all unheard of.
1Gig G4 iBooks pull around $800+, so there's a rule of thumb to go by.
Performance wise the G4 is at least 2 to 4 times as quick ( possibly more when you consider multi-tasking ), depending on how programs use Altivec, bus speed, HD speed etc.
So, maybe there's the answer - G4 iBook - 1 gig up.

My 'theories' are based on owning a 1 gig iBook and a 500mhz G3 iBook, both running Tiger.

mutters

Byrd
7th January 2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah I was thinking $500 - 600 for an iBook is way overpriced - personally I wouldn't pay more than $400 for one, based on the specs of Macbooks nowadays.

JB

Dunko27
9th January 2007, 03:40 AM
Well I'm not really disappointed. It's a 900MHz G3 with 14" screen and 640Mb RAM and combo drive.

I'm expecting that it will perform better than my current machine of choice in our household (8550 with Sonnet 700MHz G4 upgrade). Given that the 600MHz iMac I have seems quite slow compared to the 8550, I'm presuming that the extra 300MHz above the iMac speed will give the iBook equivalent or slightly better performance than the G4 8550.

Is the performance difference between a G3 and G4 of the same clock speed really 24 times?

Yes, I would have liked to get a G4, but the going prices seemed to be around the $600 and above mark, and the $440 I paid for the 900MHz G3 was the top of my budget. :rolleyes:

KD

PS: Happy 10th Birthday, 8550:thumbup:

Byrd
9th January 2007, 08:47 AM
Is the performance difference between a G3 and G4 of the same clock speed really 24 times?
PS: Happy 10th Birthday, 8550:thumbup:

I've been using my 9600 a lot lately too - amazing machine :)

At the same clock speed G3 vs. G4, the G4 will always win out but that's only with apps that support Altivec instructions - there is roughly a 20% improvement. In comparision to the two running non-Altivec apps the G4 has improved memory throughput over the G3, but not enough to be noticable.

The iBook will definately be a nice boost over your 700Mhz G4 - considering you've twice the bus speed, AGP graphics and pretty much everything else.

You can overclock the 900Mhz G3 using iCook, a software utility. You'll probably get 950 - 1000Mhz out of this.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ibook_2002_overclocking.html

JB

oddturtle
9th January 2007, 01:32 PM
well that last G4 I posted went for $961, which was ridiculous. Still waiting out that g3, I think I'll go for it if its less that $400 (still got 3 days, its arouind $125 now). Do you think any of those problems like faulty logic boards will be an issue? I have heard a few probs with the G3's, though seller tells me it is in good condition.

Byrd
9th January 2007, 04:09 PM
If a G3 iBook hasn't had an faulty logic board for it's entire lifespan (2 - 3 years by the machine you're looking it), you'd have to be pretty bloody unlucky to get a machine that flakes out down the track.

One good question to ask with G3 iBooks is if it has had any logic board repairs/replacements during it's life. Repair = no go, replacement = yes, never any problem = also yes!

JB

kingsdesign
14th January 2007, 06:37 PM
I have been looking at buying a ibook in the late G3 or cheap G4 range.
At the moment there is macquarie_technology_services selling lots of 14" G3 900 mhz 640 ram and no wireless or OS included.
These machines seem to go for about 350-500 dollars and even more if there are lots of bidders.
The value is pretty good if you get it for 350 but not at 500+.
I have to be patient to find a well priced G4 like the one posted above for 600 something.
Well i keep looking until there is a good one out there.
maybe someone here has one for sale??

Rik

eversuns
14th January 2007, 11:51 PM
Ive been looking at the g3s on ebay aswell... I saw those ones that came without the operating system... didnt seem worth it though. I might just wait a month or two and get a macbook 1.83ghz with maxed ram?