PDA

View Full Version : Taking iBook Overseas - Advice?

Disclaimer
7th January 2007, 03:26 PM
Hey guys... sorry if this is a boring old topic but I did a quick search and couldn't see anything.

I'm off to the USA and Europe for 10 weeks and want to take my iBook G4 with me, with the hope of having internet access to check/send email directly in Mail and for iTunes access.

I don't want to rely on BigPond's web-based mail for such a long time but I'm not the most tech-savvy person when outside my home office.

If anyone can help, it'd be much appreciated! :)

tintinaujapon
7th January 2007, 03:42 PM
Yahoo's POP access works very well.

1. Create a Yahoo email account.
2. Login to Yahoo Mail.
3. Click '(Mail) Options' at top right.
4. Go to POP & Forwarding.
5. Enable POP.
6. Plug the server settings it gives you into Mail, both incoming and outgoing.

You're off.

EDIT: Gmail's also cool.

gmask1
7th January 2007, 03:54 PM
One thing I've found with using Bigpond and mail apps (not the webmail) is that trying to send mail through the Bigpond mail server is difficult if you're outside the Bigpond network. Retrieving mail from the Bigpond mail servers is fine. When you're using Bigpond webmail, it operates as normal for sending and receiving, if a bit flaky from time to time.

I can't speak for Europe, it's been a while since I was there... In May last year I had no problems finding access with my Powerbook in the US and Canada.

Most medium to large hotels in the US at least have a wireless internet connection in the lobby, and offer rental of internet connection boxes for wired room access. If your room is close to the lobby, you should be able to get the signal in there also. These hotels don't appear to do the tech support for the boxes - I had to call tech support when something went wacky in Detroit.

Outside of hotels, T-Mobile has a fairly good US/international coverage, and a monthly roaming plan available. If you see yourself in these areas, it might be a good way to go - https://selfcare.hotspot.t-mobile.com/locations/viewGlobalLocations.do .

Other useful links might be:
Access in US Airports: http://www.travelpost.com/usa-airports-wifi.aspx
US Hotel internet list: http://www.wiredhotels.com/country/usa.html

Kuma
7th January 2007, 04:32 PM
gmail is my vote...
forward all bigpond mail to it...

go to coffee shop
purchase coffee
sit outside (or in if there is room) nearest apple store
enable airport card
check email
surf web
drink coffee

check out apple store...

total cost... depends on what coffee you buy.

Devil
7th January 2007, 05:04 PM
You can only send mail through the mail computer of the ISP you are currently connected to. It isnt hard to change the details (settings) of the SMTP (send mail) server each time you connect to a different network/ISP - provided they can give you the details!

Your current settings will be something like mail.bigpond.com and most ISP's will follow a similar format.

gelfie
7th January 2007, 05:17 PM
Don't pack it full of C4

Disclaimer
7th January 2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys!

Wow...

I can honestly say I've never seen a more helpful forum in my life. I was half expecting a string of insults about how I shouldn't ask such dumb questions... or no responses at all.

Thanks heaps.

I looked on Bigpond's site and it says they have a Global Roaming service that charges $8 per hour plus the connection fee in the local area. Has anyone used this? I'm thinking that might be the way to go, just to avoid redirecting stuff...

I'm a bit of a bower bird with my emails. ;o)

Kuma
7th January 2007, 06:54 PM
I have never taken out roaming when I travel.
Invariably I find an open connection somewhere...
Many hotels have wireless connectivity,
Just open Airport and let it find a network.
Sometimes you will have to pay for a casual connection. Other times it is people willingly sharing their connection or accidently.

I leave my wireless connection open just in case people wish to use it when they are in the neighbourhood..

as for your email bower birdishness... gmail is definately the way to go.... added bonus frees you up from switching providers at a later date....

mwot
7th January 2007, 06:55 PM
my wife recently came back from a couple of months in the States. She took our Macbook. We use Gmail. Inevitably, where she stayed, there was complimentary wireless or wired internet. A password from the concierge to connect, and there she was checking her Gmail email from Mail!

Easy.