PDA

View Full Version : How I won against Apple

hawker
15th December 2004, 12:57 AM
With my new 60GB iPod Photo shipped I thought it was time to share my iPod Story.

At the start of the year, I bought a 40GB iPod (3rd Gen). When I got it I thought the six hours of battery life I was getting was pretty bad, but lived with it. Shortly afterwards I was only getting about two hours. One of my mates said to get it looked at.

I took it into Darwin's local Apple Store and the tech had it replaced with a battery problem. It was replaced with a refurbished 3rd Gen 40GB iPod. To my suprise I was getting less battery life with this one (1.5 hours if lucky).

So I was pretty mad, sent an letter to Apple, and the Apple Customer Care pretty much said we will keep replacing it with the same ipod, I demanded a new iPod, and sent in some articles showing that the 3rd gen battery is, well in real terms, shit.

About five e-mails later, I had enough, I demanded my money back saying "it has never worked as advertised". The Apple Store, took my complaint, and called me back a day later saying "how about we just replaced it with a new iPod." I said I was happy to pay the extra $100 to get the 60GB iPod Photo.

I sent my old iPod back and the new one has shipped. So finally, I got what I wanted, it was a journey but persistance wins!

yinyang
15th December 2004, 01:04 AM
good for you clint ;)

i've been eyeing up one of those 60Gb iPods, but can't quite justify it...yet!!

i just got another replacement 3g 30Gb back (crappy battery as well, though not as bad as yours!!) and when aus post couldn't find it at first at the sorting office i was hoping to get a iPod photo out of the exercise, but they found the package hiding behind another :rolleyes:

mmmm...colour screen :D

Exocet
15th December 2004, 01:04 AM
I think you'll find any IT company are anal about their returns. Simply because there's that much margin there for user-error. I don't think you really need to "Win against" Apple, just be empathetic that they get hundreds of emails saying "I spilt coffee...uh...scratch that my iPod just stopped working one day, I don't know HOW it happened!"

Currawong
15th December 2004, 07:26 AM
As long as Apple have the opportunity to see for themselves, or trust the judgement of the Apple agent that your machine is faulty, and it wasn't because you broke it, then they'll be reasonable. It doesn't help that they get a great many people who want a machine because of the smallest issue. It ends up making the genuine cases all the more frustrating.

90% of it is ALWAYS the attitude you present to the company. Politeness and being reasonable will ALWAYS get you further.

hawker
15th December 2004, 11:02 AM
It was just annoying that the response from Apple Customer Care from the offset was "Keep sending them in and we'll keep replacing them with the same crappy iPod"... "No we won't give you a new iPod, no we won't deal with you anymore"...

I understand where Apple are coming from, but as soon as I said I want my money back, they were like "yeah, that iPods battery is well known for lots of problem, how about we just replace it with a new one?"

In real terms I don't win because of all the extra money I've put into the dam iPod. All the time I've spent without it etc. But if this one works for more than ten hours (they say 14) I'll be happy!

pipsqeek
15th December 2004, 03:41 PM
I beg to differ.

I played nice the entire time through my iBook saga, and still got no love. I think persistance and annoying phone calls on a daily basis are what helped my ball roll.

I think, if I never chucked a stink, I'd still be waiting for logic board #9 or something by now.

Moral of the story. Its Apple, its white.

pipsqeek