PDA

View Full Version : vnc client that allows desktop to be resized?

snark
5th January 2007, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know of a VNC client that allows you to specify the size of the remote desktop? I'm looking for something that is similar to the Remote Desktop Connection program that allows a Mac client to control a Windows computer.

At the moment I'm running Chicken of the VNC on my Mac mini to control a remote linux box (running vino on GNOME). I don't know if it is the resolution (1600x1200), but it is really stressing the Mac, and is also quite slow. RDC on the other hand is very responsive, and doesn't seem to stress the CPU on the Mac at all.

cheers,
P

MacDave
5th January 2007, 04:29 PM
It's called Apple Remote Desktop. =)

Dave

rtc
5th January 2007, 04:34 PM
A slightly leftfield suggestion so please feel free to ignore.

I use KDX for some server admin functions. It also has a remote desktop control feature. I have never used the linux version of KDX Server.

PROs:
- good security
- low processor demand
- cross-platform compatible

CONS:
- average screen refresh responsiveness (can't be adjusted via a setting), not brilliant but more than workable for my purposes
- i don't know what it does when faced with large desktops (e.g. resize or make you scroll).

You would need KDXServer on your server and KDXClient on the machine you use to administer it remotely. The default setting involves opening up a new port (10700) on your server but you can change this setting to use an existing one if you like.

I am not affiliated with KDX or its vendor (Haxial). I have used these products on both tiger and windows 2000 and find them quite good, reliable and stable.

All the same, it's not a mainstream suggestion so I predict some might say to use it as a last resort (or even not at all).

snark
5th January 2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks spectre & rtc. I'm looking for something free if possible.

I've just tried another vnc client (VNCViewer), which is more responsive that cotvnc, but it still seems to use up a lot of the CPU on my mac.

rtc
5th January 2007, 04:57 PM
You can give KDX a whirl for free. I can't remember what restrictions if any are on the free version.