PDA

View Full Version : MBP 15" Dead pixel...

Woz
3rd January 2007, 11:04 AM
Does anyone know if I should be bothered trying to get apple to replace my screen for one dead pixel? - it's a strange looking one has it seems to be dull around the dead area as well.

Cheers

Shatter
3rd January 2007, 11:17 AM
is it 'dead' or just 'stuck'?

i can't remember how you can tell but if it is just 'stuck' there are ways of fixing it.

Google is your best friend for these kind of things.

STK
3rd January 2007, 11:24 AM
how do u test for dead pixles?

soulman
3rd January 2007, 11:59 AM
There's a free utility called PixelCheck

STK
3rd January 2007, 12:03 PM
So you look for black pixles when it goes through th colours?

soulman
3rd January 2007, 12:17 PM
From the Read Me:

PiXel Check is an application that assists you in visually inspecting your LCD flat-panel display for bad or "dead" piXels.

The concept is simple - select a test color, and PiXel Check will put up a screen to allow you to check the specific piXels.

"Red" activates all red piXels, "Blue" activates all blue piXels, and "Green" activates all of the green piXels. The "Black" and "White" tests activate or deactivate all red, green, and blue piXels respectively.

The reason that red, green, and blue are the colors that are checked for is because each piXel on an LCD flat-panel display is actually made up of 3 separate transistors - red, green, and blue. When all of the transistors are turned on, you see black, and when all of them are turned off, you see white - the reason why there are also black and white check modes.

If you should find any bad or "dead" piXels, you can try to very carefully "massage" the area of
the screen where you see the bad piXel(s). Be very careful not to scratch or damage your
screen!

marc
3rd January 2007, 12:23 PM
I'd be taking it back. How long have you had it?

This Whirlpool thread might be of some use to you:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=644988

Especially this bit:

I agree with you here. What others are saying that is up to the retailer or manufacturer - they're wrong. The manufacturers are just talking crap and letting consumers stuck with faulty products.

I had a similar case with LG screen recently, one dead pixel down left, about 1 inch of the corner. I called ACCC first to ask what to do and they said to take it back to the retailer and demand the exchange. The very helpful gentleman explained me that the product is faulty as it has not been advised at the point of sale that it has, or may have, dead pixels, even one.

He said to 'demand' replacement or refund, not repair (the monitor was 2 days old) If the retailer doesn't meet my request I should write a letter of demand to the retailer and allow 14 days for their action. Should they fail to meet my request, I should contact the ACCC back and they will 'take care' of it.

So I went back to the retailer with the monitor and explained situation. The gentleman explained politely that I have to contact LG blah blah blah.. and I told him that the purchase contract is between myself and his shop, not between me and LG. So i demanded the replacement, he refused. I asked for the store manager, but the managers was trying to pull off the same story - 'call LG'

I then pulled out the receipt and showed him his store name and not LG store name on it and explained the ACCC part of the story. He went to the office and came back 5 minutes later saying "Sorry, nothing in stock, we'll have to order one for you, may be a few weeks" Bastard. I kindly asked for cash, he initially refused, I told him 'it's the law, you don't pay back, you get the monkey on you back" so he refunded me the total amount.

While I was leaving, he said 'Now I'll be in shits with LG", I said - why don't you buy it yourself then.

So take it back to the shop you bought and don't even listen to any sentences containing words Apple, warranty, acceptable and so on. Stay firm and stand for your right.

gelfie
3rd January 2007, 02:19 PM
Highly unlikely apple will do anything over a single dead pixel. Unless you have a sympathetic reseller. I think their usual limits range from 5 to 11... depending on the size of the display and the position of the dead pixels.

marc
3rd January 2007, 02:25 PM
The important things to note are:

#1 - If you've bought something from a retailer, then your purchase agreement is between yourself and the retailer, not Apple. So "you'll have to talk to Apple about this" does not cut it.

#2 - Australian law dictates a base level of service when purchasing goods. Failure to meet those is illegal and can be taken quite seriously by the ACCC. A dead pixel is a defective product and should be ok to return, no matter what the manufacturer's "policy" is.

I'm really surprised people put up with this. Every time I buy a screen (TV/laptop/monitor etc), I let the sales person know "I need to see it switched on before handing over the money, and if there's a dead pixel I will be bringing it back.

Kirium
3rd January 2007, 10:19 PM
The important things to note are:

#1 - If you've bought something from a retailer, then your purchase agreement is between yourself and the retailer, not Apple. So "you'll have to talk to Apple about this" does not cut it.

#2 - Australian law dictates a base level of service when purchasing goods. Failure to meet those is illegal and can be taken quite seriously by the ACCC. A dead pixel is a defective product and should be ok to return, no matter what the manufacturer's "policy" is.

I'm really surprised people put up with this. Every time I buy a screen (TV/laptop/monitor etc), I let the sales person know "I need to see it switched on before handing over the money, and if there's a dead pixel I will be bringing it back.

So how does this apply to something purchased thru the Apple Online store (for both of your points)??

Just wondering as I'm planning on buying a 15" MBP after MWE with student discount (so I can't check it out before hand). Although I had a single pixel that was DOA on my 20" iMac in August (which was purchased at a Domayne) and they didn't want to know about it until I had a return authorisation number from Apple. Apple got me to run thru a couple of checks and no questions asked gave me a number and said take it back.

:confused: