PDA

View Full Version : desktop not refreshing

namco
3rd January 2007, 10:49 AM
For the past month or so, i've noticed that my desktop isn't refreshing. I usually download my files onto the desktop or copy files onto my desktop, but recently the files get placed ont eh dsktop, but they dont show up. I can see them when i am in finder, but not on the actual desktop.

To get the desktop to refresh, i have to relaunch the finder and the files show up on the desktop.

This happens a few times a week and is beginning to bug me. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Im using the latest version of tiger 10.4.8.

jonargall
3rd January 2007, 11:11 AM
That is very annoying ...

As a first port of call, I would repair permissions on the startup disk using Disk Utility.app, or by typing "diskutil repairPermissions /" into a Terminal window.

This often fixes random problems.

Currawong
3rd January 2007, 05:00 PM
You could try deleting your com.apple.finder.plist in your preferences folder. Also, have you installed anything that modifies the behaviour of the Finder?

namco
3rd January 2007, 10:42 PM
thanks guys, ill give the repair permissions and deleting the finder plist tomorrow

i have nothing that would modify the finder. I thought many users might have this issue because 2 of my other mates with macs have this issue as well.

rtc
3rd January 2007, 10:53 PM
My suspicion is that it is related to your user folder, maybe it's renamed it to "you-1" and takes a while to update from the "you" path when looking for the desktop folder to refresh the desktop it initially finds the old user folder.

OSX can sometimes get confused between user folders (yes, 2 I know, yes, unnecessary I know, but it can happen and it can create them, and it can keep them both active and intermittently updating, even if you've only got the one user). I don't know why this is initiated or under what circumstances, but there was a thread here mentioning something similar a few days ago.

This is sometimes a "repair permissions" or "fix os9 permissions" thing (hope for your sake it is), other times its something else but I don't know what!

Good luck.

MacDave
4th January 2007, 02:16 AM
The thing to do is create a new user account and see if problems occur in it as well. That will tell you if the problem is specific to your current home directory.

This bit of software below is good in any event when things are working ok.

FinderSync keeps track of the windows that are open in the Finder and 'listens' for changes in the filesystem. When a folder changes, the Finder is informed so it can immediately update the affected window(s). Although the Finder is definitely better about updating its windows than it was prior to 10.3, there are still some cases where it can use some help. For the most part, you won't notice FinderSync running because it seems completely natural. FinderSync is implemented as a prefpane.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15945

forgie
4th January 2007, 02:40 AM
Please note that FinderSync is not necessary on Mac OS X Tiger (10.4). The Finder does everything that FinderSync currently does. There may be a future version of FinderSync that adds more features for 10.4, but the current version is not needed.
I wouldn't bother installing FinderSync in Tiger....