PDA

View Full Version : Well....looks like I bought a new G4!

WarwickG71
2nd March 2004, 12:20 PM
Yeah, so it looks like I bit the bullet and bought a new(ish) 1.25Ghz G4. It's stock at the moment, still has 6 months warranty, and I bought it from a shop. *gasp*

Now, I was going to get some more RAM for it, but the local price is DOUBLE the international going rate for quality RAM. I ended up getting two sticks of 512 for A$215.

Granted, I only shopped around for an hour or two, so this might be a good deal, but I'm pretty happy with everything. Should get the machine by the end of the week.

Now, how easy is putting in the RAM? It was a no brainer on my old clunker ( 8600 ), so I'm guessing it should be pretty easy on this new machine, yeah?

sillydog701
2nd March 2004, 01:58 PM
Congratulations, but did you buy a PowerMac or a PowerBook?
For PowerMac G4, just open the case, and you will be all right.

For PowerBook G4, read the manual first!

decryption
2nd March 2004, 02:09 PM
What sort of RAM is it? SD-RAM or the DDR variety? DDR RAM is cheap and plentiful here, but SD-RAM, I wouldn't be surprsied if you found it cheaper overseas. Cheapest I've seen 512mb of PC133 SD-RAM is $160, two sticks of that would set you back $320...
Where did you buy the G4 and the RAM from by the way?

WarwickG71
2nd March 2004, 02:42 PM
Sorry - to clarify I bought a 1.25 Mhz G4 MDD, new ex-demo, still got 6 months warranty. Ram was PC333 DDR, got 2 sticks of 512 for A$215. Should be all here and good to go by the end of the week.

I have done a bit of research on the web and seems like there is/was a shit batch of Mac OEM RAM in some machines. Hopefully I'll be able to plug-and-play with the two new sticks. Should I put the new stuff higher in the slot order, or just plug em in and see what happens?

[Edit: I won't name drop where I got the goodies from until I can form a proper verdict as to the quality of the goods and service. I'll keep ya posted ]

decryption
2nd March 2004, 02:45 PM
Usually a 512mb from a good on-line dealer is around $110 a stick... where'd you get the RAM from overseas?

WarwickG71
2nd March 2004, 02:56 PM
Okay, okay - a friend recommended Crucial for the RAM, so I go it from there. He's in the States so he's shipping it to me from there. Local price for the 2x512 was A$440.

Jimbo
3rd March 2004, 12:10 AM
yep i had no problems with putting the same stix in my MDD g4 its also 1.25 ghz, it flies now! i left the apple one in 0 then the two new ones in 1 + 2

Goo Dluck!

mhollis
3rd March 2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by WarwickG71@Mar 2 2004, 12:20 PM
Now, how easy is putting in the RAM? It was a no brainer on my old clunker ( 8600 ), so I'm guessing it should be pretty easy on this new machine, yeah?
It's actually easier than on your 8600 because the case opens by just flipping the lever on the side up and dropping down the door. Your motherboard is mounted on the door. It should lie flat on the table or floor and you just slide the sticks into the available slots.

Additionally, adding hard disks is a snap as well, because Apple's mount points on the G4 Macs on the bottom of the case are a cinch to handle. You need a screwdriver and that's it.

The G5s, because of cooling issues, have relocated hard drive space up at the top and you are limited to two SATA hard drives. But it remains very easy to add RAM.

jameso
3rd March 2004, 11:12 AM
The g4/g3 tower cases with the mother board (Not the logic bored damnit) mounted on the side are the easiest computers to upgrade. Too bad they changed the case design for the g5

jameso

WarwickG71
3rd March 2004, 06:01 PM
Okay, so, the machine is being overnighted to me tonight, so I should get it tomorrow. *rubs hands with glee*

Okay, so now I need 1) A monitor switcher, 2) a 3 port Ethernet hub, and 3) An Intuos tablet.

So, big question is.....wheres the best place ( preferably in Melbourne ) to buy this stuff?

decryption
4th March 2004, 05:38 AM
You can get an 8-port Ethernet switch from MSY (www.msy.com.au) for $25. They don't make 3 port hubs or switches, 5 is the lowest, and you aren't going to find any for less than $25, it's a right bargain ;)
Dunno where to get a tablet or a KVM. Check out www.razorprices.com and see the best prices on those items.

WarwickG71
5th March 2004, 12:34 PM
Okay, so I got the new machine today, and guess what.

It's DOA.

Booted finally after about three restarts and swicthing monitors coz I thought it was the monitor, then 30 seconds in I get this error message ( Black box with power symbol in grey in the background, error message in white in about 4 languages ), mouse freezes and it tells me I have to restart. So I restart. Doesn't boot.

The power light comes on, the fan whirrs, but there's no harddrive spinup sound. The screen doesnt turn on , and neither does the mouse/keyboard. I have nada.

The guy I bought it from ( An Apple dealer ) reckons its the logic board, but I'm amazed something like this can happen in transit, especially when it was running perfect in his display room yesterday.

Am I pissed? Not yet, but I'm getting there.

Disko
5th March 2004, 01:21 PM
That's not too good. :(

What have you done? have you sent it back? Try doing the apple hardware test - if possible. It should be on one of the disks that came with it. You've got to boot up of the CD/DVD to use it.

jameso
6th March 2004, 08:34 AM
i would be pissed, i feel for you WarwickG71.

best wishes for your loved ones fast recovery

james o'farrell

WarwickG71
6th March 2004, 05:12 PM
Okay, so I've spent the day screwing with it in the valiant attempt to get it running.

Managed to run the hardware test on the restore CD. Says everything is A-Okay.

Got a few minutes into a 'wipe HDD and reinstall OSX' before it froze. It won't boot from restore DVD - I get an error message telling me to restart or it just freezes.

Couple of times I get like the Unix basic screen ( basic white text on black background ). It says a variety of things like "Panic - we're hanging in here" "Invalid memory access at..." and "Unresolved kernel trap ( CPU 0) : OX300" sometimes "unknown failure code" and a whole heap of gibberish.

I have no idea what to do next. I've tried everything. Luckily they're coming to fix it Tuesday morning, Damn public holidays!!!!!! :(

Currawong
6th March 2004, 06:41 PM
Funny you should mention trouble with an MDD machine. I just picked up a dual 1Ghz MDD (no Firewire 800 unfortunately but I'll live) for which I also got a second hand 20" LCD screen. Turned out, after alot of pain and suffering trying to work out wtf was going on, that the power button in the 20" screen was going nuts and shutting down whatever machine it was plugged into.

Unfortunately, by the time I'd worked that out, the G4 wouldn't boot at all. I managed to get it working a couple of times by very very briefly pressing the PMU reset button [*NOTE: Don't try this at home, big risk of crashing the PMU and killing the motherboard*], but it wouldn't boot at all. However, I remembered my original blue and white G3, which did the same - i pulled out the battery for 24 hours, and after I put it back in a day later, the machine powered up fine!

The note about the PMU button: It must be pressed only for less than a second, and the machine MUST be rebooted between presses, and it must be rebooted only after 10 seconds have passed.

pipsqeek
8th March 2004, 06:46 PM
I have experienced this many times in PC land....and no, most of them were no running Windoesn't OS otherwise I would have install another one on top of it to test it out.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand....if the CPU is getting too hot, it may want to shutdown. Count your lucky stars that its not an AMD CPU otherwise you would have a hole where your motherboard and cpu use to be...provided that this is the problem

Steve

Jimbo
8th March 2004, 07:48 PM
Warwick i had the same problem yesterday with mine!!!!

I was re-installingthe os, coz my disk was getting all full and stuff so i did a complete reinstall, i went off out to lunch while it was going along merrily by itelf when i got back i was faced with the screen you mentioned and the adress FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF at the bottom.

So i restart it... same thing, it boots with the white screen and then goes to the brown one... i was scared coz it's fairly new...

So i booted from the dvd and installed osx again and now its fine. So how far do you get in your install??

Jimbo
10th March 2004, 09:50 AM
warwick, another thing i jsut thought of, have you put your new memory in yet? if so take it out and go stock apple stuff, keyboard mouse etc, i dunno if it'll help but its a safer bet. also does everything appear to work, it should go"
1. press button
2. click from the speaker
3. DAAAAAAAAR! (startup sound)
4. HDD spins up
5. monitor wakes up
6. light in mouse flashes
7. white screen with the 'clock'
8. boot

Which step do you get to before it freezez?