PDA

View Full Version : CrossOver - Windows apps on Mac

Cien
2nd January 2007, 08:56 AM
Hi All,

I was just wondering if any of you have tried "CrossOver",
to run Windows apps on a Mac without the need to run Windows itself ?

Is it any good ?

Thanks
Cien

PurpleLogix
2nd January 2007, 09:02 AM
I have tried it. I find it abit confusing but it does work. I installed a 3d fonts program from 10yrs ago (windows95 program)

Had trouble installing Gimp.

Pretty impressive, no more windows!!!

benb
2nd January 2007, 09:05 AM
I tried it to run e-Tax and it did not work (I think when the first beta was released). Since CrossOver is based on Wine I tried the MacOS X port Darwine (http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwine/) which worked great! Conidering you will have to pay for CrossOver and there is a free alrternative which works much better I would go with Wine.

jeremy_warnock
2nd January 2007, 10:12 AM
Crossover is upto RC2 for the mac - it works great. Currently the beta is free, if you are a student and you pre-order you will get it for about $30. Alternatively if you want it for free you can become an advocate, which is what i did - all they ask is that you test the programs you are running and write a report on your experiences the whole process takes all of 10 minutes.

I have been able to install notes v7, dvd shrink, ie 6, media player classic, mirc and although some have problems the problems generally arnt more then the problems you find running them in windows - yes IE 6 still crashes.

I consider this to be the wholly grail windows apps without windows - the crossover team still have a way to go but its a great concept

rtc
2nd January 2007, 10:20 AM
Crossover is upto RC2 for the mac - it works great. Currently the beta is free, if you are a student and you pre-order you will get it for about $30. Alternatively if you want it for free you can become an advocate, which is what i did - all they ask is that you test the programs you are running and write a report on your experiences the whole process takes all of 10 minutes.

I have been able to install notes v7, dvd shrink, ie 6, media player classic, mirc and although some have problems the problems generally arnt more then the problems you find running them in windows - yes IE 6 still crashes.

I consider this to be the wholly grail windows apps without windows - the crossover team still have a way to go but its a great concept

Interesting. Two questions:

- How does notes' memory management go? Are there any leaks? (there are on Windows)
- I find DVDshrink the best all-in-one rip->shrink->burn program and have not managed to find anything on the mac that is quite as good (currently using MTR->DVD2oneX2->Toast7). Are you the same? I've also tried handbrake and many other mac ones but don't find them as good.

Currawong
2nd January 2007, 10:45 AM
Crossover and WINE only work for a limited number of apps, such as MS Office, IE6, Quicken and the like. The crossover web site lists people's results with trying a number of programs.

I wrote an article (http://mactalk.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=25109) on Windows on Intel Macs options (though now it's a tiny bit out of date because Parallels keeps adding new features).

jeremy_warnock
2nd January 2007, 11:03 AM
Interesting. Two questions:

- How does notes' memory management go? Are there any leaks? (there are on Windows)
- I find DVDshrink the best all-in-one rip->shrink->burn program and have not managed to find anything on the mac that is quite as good (currently using MTR->DVD2oneX2->Toast7). Are you the same? I've also tried handbrake and many other mac ones but don't find them as good.

Well rtc, I must be honest and my tests have not been exhaustive as yet. I do find however notes version 7 on the pc is handles the memory leaks alot better then previous versions. I have been able to install notes on my macbook, connect to my domino server send receive mail/ open close databases (theres a trick to that at the moment) and even open domino administrator and create and edit users. I have also been able to use designer as well.

I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that says dvd shrink is NOT the best solution around - im my opinion for its propose it is the perfect app, get it to work on the mac has been a godsend

Remember cupcakes - crossover is a beta and not the greatest solution for windows apps - I just like the potential to remove windows completely

Cien
3rd January 2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone...

... sounds like I might give the trial version a go and see how it's cruising.