PDA

View Full Version : iMovie stability

tintinaujapon
1st January 2007, 11:13 AM
I just used iMovie to do up my first little edited clip.

While I love the ease of use and obvious potential once I learn to use it properly, is it just me and my setup, or does iMovie have an unholy tendency to crash?

I'm on a PBG4 with 1.5gb of RAM, plenty of HD space and 128mb of video RAM. Surely I should get reasonable performance? I basically had 5 crashes in a row, usually when I tried to add a final fadeout effect.

William
1st January 2007, 11:21 AM
I've used iMovie a lot since version 3 and 4 and the latest version barely crashes at all, defiantly not on the scale that your experiencing.

William

rtc
1st January 2007, 11:41 AM
Despite the advent if iLife I still find myself back in the simple yet effective clutches of Avid Videoshop for far more effects that I thought I would've started using something else for by now.

Squid7085
1st January 2007, 12:30 PM
Im happy to see I am not the only person that has had this problem. Well, not happy, but you know what I mean. I was recently working on a long video to send my girlfreind for Christmas and I used iMovie. Now it was a large project, I don't know what the typical iMovie project is, but it had around 30GB of clips. I had iMovie crash multiple times on me. I went so much as to start saving every time I did a major thing, and even had a timer to save every 5 miniutes. About two weeks into the project while I was finishing it up, I had another crash, I had just recenly saved the project, so I just opened up iMovie like I normaly would. This time though, all of my clips and everything on the timeline were now in the Trash. The timeline file had corrupted. Fortunately I dug around the iMovie file and found a backup version of the timeline. Until Apple fixes the crashing problem, you just have to save frequently. Just know you arent the only one. :D

tintinaujapon
1st January 2007, 10:42 PM
It's always comforting to know it's not just oneself experiencing a problem.

My work in question which had iMovie crashing with bastardly frequency is barely one and a half minutes long! It's short video taken with my still video camera. Maybe iMovie just doesn't like that format or something...