PDA

View Full Version : new dvd drive not bootable?

wanger123
26th December 2006, 11:06 AM
Hi all, merry Christmas,

I replaced the matshita 8123 cdrom with a pioneer dvr-k06 a few months back and I am now trying to reinstall tiger but it will not boot from the dvd. I have tried the usual holding C and also shift+command+option+delete but no good. It thinks about booting from dvd but then boots from hard disk.

So I guess my question is, has anyone else replaced their optical drive and then been unable to boot from it? Is it a master/slave thing?

I guess as a last resort I could put the matshita back in until I install tiger and then replace it afterwards with the pioneer again

any ideas?

cheers

wanger

MacDave
26th December 2006, 11:13 AM
Try booting with Option held down and selecing the Install DVD and booting from it. If that doesn't work, make sure firmware is current on the pioneer drive (you should do that anyhow...)

Shatter
26th December 2006, 11:21 AM
If what spectre said fails, make sure the disc is inserted, go into system prefs, then startup disk and then select the dvd with tiger on it. Worked for me.

wanger123
26th December 2006, 11:25 AM
thanks guys, will do

wanger

JimWOz
26th December 2006, 10:23 PM
Almost certainly is a Master/Slave issue with the Pioneer drive.
Check this in System Profiler. 0=Master, 1=Slave.
See Xlr8yourmac for instructions how to force the drive to master. - involves a soldering iron.
A firmware fix may be available, but will involve installing the drive into a PC to install, as the firmware tools are almost all PC software.
Option key booting will work so long as you have a valid system on the HD. C key booting will not work with a slave or Cable Select set drive. - So in the long run if the system on the HD gets badly screwed you will need a Firewire drive based system to start the machine and fix the problem. - A Master set optical drive is the best answer. Pioneer drives are more plentiful and thus cheaper than the Matshita drives Apple uses, but are usually not Master set drives.

Currawong
26th December 2006, 11:23 PM
I can't imagine you'd need a soldering iron, just set the jumper on the back of the drive to master instead of slave.

Brains
27th December 2006, 12:59 AM
Curra, Jim be right -- with many optical drives for laptops (the CW-8123 combo drive and the K06 are what Apple used in the PowerBooks) the only way to change whether it is Master or Slave is by changing the position of a zero-ohm surface-mount resistor. And as wanger has discovered, Pioneer shipped the K06 set to CS. Apple firmware can only use a Master-enabled optical to boot from.

B.

wanger123
29th December 2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys for the replies.

I too found the instructions here Jim: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/Pioneer_K04L_master_mod.html.

I performed the procedure (which is not for the faint-hearted) and I'm happy to report that the pioneer dvr-k06 is now shown as unit 0 (master) in system profiler and I can boot-up from a cd/dvd.

I use linux as well on the G4 so it was absolutely critical that I have this working!

thanks all

wanger

Brains
30th December 2006, 04:09 PM
xlr8yourmac.com is a site filled with gold. Glad you got it working!

B.