PDA

View Full Version : AAC Vs MP3

warren21
25th December 2006, 10:26 AM
Hi,

Can someone tell me.........what is the best format to import into iTunes to? I've been doing some research on the net between the two formats and have found out that MP3 is more easily transferable between platforms and software. Is the AAC 128kbps equivelant to the MP3 160kbps?

ClockWork
25th December 2006, 10:51 AM
I'm not certain, but I believe an ACC encoded @ 128 kpbs is the equivalent to an MP3 encoded @ 192 kbps. AAC are far better than MP3 at very low bitrates, however at medium to higher bitrates, the two formats are more comparable.

I still use MP3, as though it's quite out-dated by now, to my way of thinking, it's still incredibly robust.

mvjs
25th December 2006, 11:09 AM
AAC is an open standard and is the sucessor to MP3. Most devices are supporting AAC including Sony walkmans and the Zune. Yes, clockwork is correct a 128 AAC is equivilent to the quality of a 192 MP3. I just imported ~50 CDs all in to AAC. It is high quality, the future and an open standard.

warren21
25th December 2006, 11:12 AM
I just imported the same track numerous times at different bitrates and formats and listened to all of them. While the mount of space they took up changed it was very hard to tell any difference in quality. I did notice a "slight" difference between the AAC 128kbps and the AAC 192kps. The others I could not tell.

I've attached a screenshot.

Danamania
25th December 2006, 03:11 PM
Hi,

Can someone tell me.........what is the best format to import into iTunes to? I've been doing some research on the net between the two formats and have found out that MP3 is more easily transferable between platforms and software. Is the AAC 128kbps equivelant to the MP3 160kbps?

MP3 is indeed way more compatible, but AAC will sound better at a lower bitrate. Direct comparisons like "128kbps AAC is equal to 160kbps MP3" are only generalisations though, sometimes AAC will have a major quality gain over mp3 at the same bitrate, other times the difference may not be so noticeable - it all depends on the specific track.

The quest for better quality at lower bitrates is neat (and very interesting from a geek point of view), but in practical terms all it's doing is saving a bit of HD space or time transferring over a network. If you have a music collection that doesn't take up a significant portion of your hard disk or iPod, then it doesn't much matter which way you go, may as well encode at a really high MP3 bitrate - you'll get both quality and compatibility. Only you can decide which balance of disk space usage, quality and compatibility works best for you, but knowing that these three factors are what's important may help you decide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding has a bit of info about the technical side of AAC, and what devices & apps support it. It's not that obscure.

warren21
25th December 2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks danamania. Is AAC compatible with NERO? Can I make a data disc in AAC format so she can download the songs to her PC? As my friend and I have an obsession with music we like to share music between one onother.

Danamania
25th December 2006, 05:22 PM
If it's just writing data discs, any file format will do. They could be in some future format nero had never heard about, as it's burning data from the filesystem onto the disc.

Audio discs are another story of course :)

Dana

marc
25th December 2006, 10:12 PM
I just imported the same track numerous times at different bitrates and formats and listened to all of them. While the mount of space they took up changed it was very hard to tell any difference in quality. I did notice a "slight" difference between the AAC 128kbps and the AAC 192kps. The others I could not tell.

I've attached a screenshot.
The example you've chosen might not show off the subtle differences in the formats (a lot of club records are bedroom produced and mix CDs have usually gone through heaps of processing).

I'd definitely be going for AACs @ at least 128kbps. Your friend shouldn't have any issues if he/she is using iTunes.

warren21
25th December 2006, 10:20 PM
Cheers thanks everyone. AAC it is. :)