PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious disappearing hard disk space

choy
23rd December 2006, 03:28 AM
Hi everyone,

I am having a very mystifying problem - I have a Macbook 2GHZ/80HD/2GB ram/Mac OS X 10.4.8.

All of a sudden my hard disk space is disappearing though I haven't loaded any new programs or files. As seen in the pic below, I have only 25GB of files, yet the whole hard disk is almost entirely full - 63.3GB used, 710MB available!

So where did the 35GB of space go? I assumed it was maybe faulty virtual RAM use, but this would show up on DiskSweeper wouldn't it? the /PRIV directory for virtual memory is 5GB, not 30GB.

Have tried running disk utility, repairing permissions etc etc to no avail.

Any thoughts?http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/330186090_fa384c6f9a_o.png

ClockWork
23rd December 2006, 04:08 AM
Try downloading and running WhatSize (http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/index.php) - and best to look at your User Folder, and it will reorder from largest to smallest.

cheers,

cw

feeze
23rd December 2006, 06:18 AM
Goto Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor

In Activity monitor there is a tab called System memory, that should tell you how big your VM is.

This app will also tell you how much virtual memory individual apps are using.

ilostmypassword
23rd December 2006, 08:00 AM
Try downloading and running WhatSize (http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/index.php) - and best to look at your User Folder, and it will reorder from largest to smallest.

cheers,

cw

Top App. Thanks CW :D

Currawong
23rd December 2006, 08:51 AM
feeze: The virtual memory sizes aren't actual sizes - if you added them up they'd amount to a huge amount of space. They are maximums only.

Shatter
23rd December 2006, 09:48 AM
I had this problem. If you have your original install disk around, boot from it and use "Disk Utility" to repair the disk. It will also fix tonnes of other problems you never new you had too.

Mutters
23rd December 2006, 10:53 AM
Something strange there.
An 80 Gig drive should show up as at least 74 Gigs capacity.
You've lost 10 gigs straight up.
Very, very weird.

mutters

kim jong il
23rd December 2006, 11:02 AM
Something strange there.
An 80 Gig drive should show up as at least 74 Gigs capacity.
You've lost 10 gigs straight up.
Very, very weird.

mutters

Mutters, I wondered about this too but figured he must have a partitioned HD. 1x64GB and 1x10GB for a total of ~74GB (80 billion bytes) but as no mention was made of it I was unsure of what I might suggest.

Mutters
23rd December 2006, 11:10 AM
Mutters, I wondered about this too but figured he must have a partitioned HD. 1x64GB and 1x10GB for a total of ~74GB (80 billion bytes) but as no mention was made of it I was unsure of what I might suggest.

Ah, yes. Hadn't thought of that.
Makes me wonder though if something like one of the heads is buggered, but it's an area I know nothing about.
Is that possible?

cheers

mutters

choy
5th January 2007, 02:33 AM
THanks guys.... discovered it appears to have been a parallels bug - I compressed the Parallels virtual HD and got my space back.

macgrrl
5th January 2007, 06:20 AM
i had something simliar happen with my trashcan. when i clean up my files and put it into the bin, my available space is the same. But when i delete it from the actual bin i lose space on my HD.
Any explanation for this??
M x