PDA

View Full Version : avi to vcd

natakim
12th December 2004, 10:50 PM
have some avi files i want to burn to vcd using toast. any suggestions on software that would enable me to convert the avi files to a vcd format? i know of compression master but don't want to spend 400ish $, also the ffmpegx link through pure_mac leads to a dead end.

Disko
12th December 2004, 11:01 PM
Please, read the pinned topics (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2941) - the General Forum is not for these sort of questions. I'm moving this to the Software forum.

pipsqeek
13th December 2004, 06:21 AM
Unlike most other file types, VCD goes by how long the duration of the video is rather then the size.

As long as it can fit on the media (CD) then you are fine.

I've burnt 900MB .avi's into VCD format, but they were very high quality rips that were under 80mins.

In Toast, just go to the "Video" tab, and drag the file to the window. I think you then have some radio buttons on either the left or right hand side of the main window. Select the one that applies to you, I would assume its VCD. Hit BURN! Making sure there is a CD in the drive. And in a while you should have a working VCD.

I think iMovie does it as well, but has trouble reading some .avi's

But I have had no issues with toast.

pipsqeek

iSlayer
13th December 2004, 11:52 AM
if ffmpeg wont work try mencoder.
ive had problems with ffmpeg but never mencoder
its made by the same team who make mplayer

kim jong il
13th December 2004, 02:56 PM
Huh? ffmpeg USES mencoder (amongst others). QUOTE: "ffmpegX is a Mac OS X graphic user interface designed to easily operate more than 20 powerful Unix open-source video and audio processing tools ..." It is a fantastic application and EXACTLY what this person is looking for. It can take a small amount of time to get the components (reallib is unnecessary unless you LIKE real media and have some use for it) but it is well worth it.

Get it from versiontracker (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15473)

cheers, kim

PS If you have enquiries about ffmpegx please ask.