PDA

View Full Version : My soon to be new machine.. emac ;)

purana
2nd March 2004, 09:19 AM
Well after I did my training last year, I thought reckon its time I got a machine to run OS X.

To cut a long story short, my wife thought it would be better to buy a brand new machine this year, and I thought the emac would suit me perfectly.

I should order my emac end of March, just waiting for my bonus to be paid which will cover the outright price.

I plan on getting the combo emac, as I don't want a superdrive (not just yet anyways) and I will upgrade the 128mb ram -> 512mb ram. Keeping the 40gb drive, as I will change this to a 120gb drive after purchase. Space is not a real concern at the moment as I have 120gb seagate in icecube case.

I am quite excited. Just can't wait until end of March so I can order through my works discount purchase program, I end up saying about $110 rather then dealing with apple.com.au direct. A saving is a saving :)

Disko
2nd March 2004, 09:33 AM
Well done, iodine!

Enjoy it, when you get it. :)

jameso
2nd March 2004, 10:03 AM
i wish you luck with your purchase

jameso

mbd
6th March 2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by iodine@Mar 2 2004, 09:19 AM
Well after I did my training last year, I thought reckon its time I got a machine to run OS X.

To cut a long story short, my wife thought it would be better to buy a brand new machine this year, and I thought the emac would suit me perfectly.

I should order my emac end of March, just waiting for my bonus to be paid which will cover the outright price.

I plan on getting the combo emac, as I don't want a superdrive (not just yet anyways) and I will upgrade the 128mb ram -> 512mb ram. Keeping the 40gb drive, as I will change this to a 120gb drive after purchase. Space is not a real concern at the moment as I have 120gb seagate in icecube case.

I am quite excited. Just can't wait until end of March so I can order through my works discount purchase program, I end up saying about $110 rather then dealing with apple.com.au direct. A saving is a saving :)
Hi Iodine,

eMacs are great machines. If money's tight, before you purchase though, you might want to ring around a few dealers, as quite often you can find an ex-demo or ex-repair unit that still has a warranty, but is a reasonable amount cheaper than normal RRP. I bought my cube and my cinema display that way, and saved about $3k off RRP. Obviously with a $1350 machine you may not save quite that much, but who knows, you might even find a better specced machine for the same amount...

;-)
mark

Jimbo
7th March 2004, 03:45 PM
yeah get on to www.nextbyte.com.au, got some for a little cheaper than usual...

Was gona buy one of them until i realised the 'educational' discount

pipsqeek
7th March 2004, 03:57 PM
Saving $3K off a $1350 machine would be nice :rolleyes:

Steve

Cory5412
8th March 2004, 11:08 PM
Or you could buy a 20 pack of eMacs, they're only $650USD that way :)

decryption
9th March 2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Cory5412@Mar 9 2004, 12:08 AM
Or you could buy a 20 pack of eMacs, they're only $650USD that way :)
We could do a group buy from the USA, haha
20 eMacs, it's AU$17,028.13. $851 each, compared to $1268 locally.
Would it be worth the effort once customs and freight is taken into consideration? :P

Currawong
10th March 2004, 07:11 AM
Parallel importing rules would get us into trouble ;)

jameso
11th March 2004, 08:23 AM
Decryption, why not start up an educational institution and employ or enroll every one who wants a mac.

I'm sure you would get to see the inside of a court room as an extra bonus =)

jameso