PDA

View Full Version : iPhone-like patent obtained

rtc
20th December 2006, 07:39 PM
According to this story, (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2066686,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000611) apple has applied for a patent for:

"A portable computing device capable of wireless communications, the portable computing device comprising: an enclosure that surrounds and protects the internal operational components of the portable computing device, the enclosure including a structural wall formed from a ceramic material that permits wireless communications."

Dunno if that means there will be an Apple iPhone soon, though just a phone, followed by a 2nd-gen iPhone with iTunes and iChat integration? (the above patent relating to the 2nd gen)

adamjc
20th December 2006, 08:18 PM
The design filings have been reported on this site in the past I just cant remember how long ago.

If anyone can find them post them in here.

Thanks,

Adam.

adamjc
20th December 2006, 08:20 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2025

Found it on Appleinsider!

http://images.appleinsider.com/amtec-iphone-fig1.jpg

http://images.appleinsider.com/amtec-iphone-fig2.jpg

Brains
20th December 2006, 08:31 PM
For starters, it can't be an iPhone because Jobsy-boy missed out on securing that name, and the owners (Cisco via Linksys) aren't going to give it up without a fight (nor will the name iPhone get sublicenced off to Apple, because it won't be exclusive, and that pisses Jobsy off).

Secondly, given the lacklustre performance with the Motorola and iTunes thing all those months ago, I doubt there is much fervour inside Apple to develop their own cell-phone, either as a stand-alone device or a sub-system for the iPod. Sure, lots of people want to reduce the size of their geeksporrans, and have a media player, phone, PDA and camera all in one handy-dandy device (and the geeks here would much prefer such a do-everything doodad bear an Apple logo). But I don't ever see Apple making a cell-phone.

Thirdly, I suspect the 'wireless communication' bit actually refers to BlueTooth and/or AirPort, and not cellular. Why? Steve hates cables. His biggest contribution to Apple since its inception has been his unquenchable drive for aesthetic perfection. We have wireless keyboard and mice, wireless ethernet is almost de rigeur with every Mac, and if wireless power-cables were actually feasible Macs would already have those.

Given the anti-cables approach, coupled with the impending iTV and the already-existing iPod video, I expect the patent implies a new generation of iPod video that's designed to work with the iTV streaming media centre and your Mac(s) via AirPort -- in essence, this new iPod becomes a portable TV screen for your iTV transmission, as well as giving the iPod a wireless method of uploading files to it.

Of course, I could be completely wrong (wouldn't be the first time, definitely wouldn't be the last) and if Apple do release such a goody, there'll be a lot of happy Apple punters ... but what would it be called? iPod+Phone? iPad?

Brains
(frankly, I wonder why I'm even debating this, as I loathe wireless networking, cell-phones suck, and I don't watch tv ...)

Kuma
20th December 2006, 08:39 PM
For starters, it can't be an iPhone because Jobsy-boy missed out on securing that name, and the owners (Cisco via Linksys) aren't going to give it up without a fight (nor will the name iPhone get sublicenced off to Apple, because it won't be exclusive, and that pisses Jobsy off).

blah blah blah

Brains
(frankly, I wonder why I'm even debating this, as I loathe wireless networking, cell-phones suck, and I don't watch tv ...)

The Apple iPhone is coming Brains... Steve will announce it in 07... when I dont know.. but its coming...

as for the name I believe that cisco have owned iPhone since the 90's... iPhone has always been the name given by punters...

rumours are rife... but it has a name... and it isnt switchblade...

as requested Brains :D

Brains
20th December 2006, 08:42 PM
Dude, learn to trim your quoted material, please! :D

B.

rtc
20th December 2006, 09:00 PM
For starters, it can't be an iPhone because Jobsy-boy missed out on securing that name

See this thread http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=25983 for alternate names discussion. (note the link button wouldn't work here!??!?)

I suspect the 'wireless communication' bit actually refers to BlueTooth and/or AirPort, and not cellular.

I suspect you are right.

Me too. Well not loathe, but I stick to cable ethernet where practicable and don't watch much tv either.

...BUT...

the patent drawings below interestingly depict a cell phone, pda/handheld, ipod, remote control, digital camera and MOST IMPORTANTLY the last one, a portable media player and IN MY OPINION THE NEW IPOD. (note screen orientation and the clickwheel has been moved). This will open up way more of the portable movie/tv market due to bigger screen. Oh, and it will have 180GB hard drive. 6-gen ipod BRING IT ON.

Currawong
20th December 2006, 09:08 PM
This story is a bit old (from September) ... I thought we'd linked to it before somewhere, but I couldn't find anything in a search. It seems that we've had as many rumours as we can take, but it's all suddenly dried up.... We'll find out in January, or maybe not...

rtc
20th December 2006, 09:12 PM
Er - was released today, but dated early december???? Probly confusing myself between articles theres heaps of them.

Yes though there has been a veritable FLOOD of "iPhone" rumours, I'm sick of them, you all know my predictions, see you after SteveCo's announcements.

Good point Currawong lets all shutup the speculation until then. Well, to the extent that we're going round in circles or repeating ourselves anyway ;)