PDA

View Full Version : The iPhones are out! [Merged]

stefanlod
18th December 2006, 05:48 PM
Engadget was right!

Linksys, a Division of Cisco Systems, and the recognized leading global manufacturer of voice, wireless, and networking hardware for home, Small Office/Home Office (SOHO) and small business user, today unveiled its iPhone family of Voice over IP (VoIP) solutions. The iPhone family of handheld devices harnesses the power of the Internet to enhance voice communications, integrate compelling information services, and deliver access to multimedia. In short, Linksys iPhones voice solutions and products give consumers the ability to do more with their phone than talk."

Some photos

http://gigaom.com/images/notiphone.gif

http://gigaom.com/images/iphoneclone.jpg

Some links

iPhone is out, just not THAT iPhone (http://gigaom.com/2006/12/17/iphone-is-available-but-not-that-iphone/)

At CNET (http://news.com.com/2061-10801_3-6144393.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5&subj=news)

**please don't murder me**

mechcon
18th December 2006, 05:49 PM
:lol:

Starscream
18th December 2006, 05:54 PM
bugger. :(

spilla
18th December 2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks for getting my hopes up, and then smashing them down, stefanlod. :p

I saw this earlier, and it just doesn't look like it deserves the iPhone name. :(

dolbinau
18th December 2006, 06:00 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

rtc
18th December 2006, 06:03 PM
Very clever - I wonder how much they are hoping to make by selling the name to apple.

What about "iCell"?

Currawong
18th December 2006, 06:04 PM
Very Damn Clever Bastards.

Smart-arse of the year award goes to Cisco...

gbuikstra
18th December 2006, 06:06 PM
Apple will be pretty peeved if they have realy called this an iPhone.

What will Apple call theirs? "iPod Phone" seems too long and wrong....But maybe the only option!

scruffie
18th December 2006, 06:20 PM
Damn you. Bring xmas and then taketh away.

tintinaujapon
18th December 2006, 06:22 PM

What will Apple call theirs? "iPod Phone" seems too long and wrong....But maybe the only option!

Apple lost of a lot of their naming caché when they went with MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Kuma
18th December 2006, 06:26 PM
gizmodo was right.....
clever little bastard http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/gizmodo-knows-iphone-will-be-announced-on-monday-221991.php

adam89
18th December 2006, 06:27 PM
Apple lost of a lot of their naming caché when they went with MacBook and MacBook Pro.

I thought this was because they wanted all of their computers to include the word "Mac" in their names? To suit their marketing campaign.

rtc
18th December 2006, 06:32 PM

When apple is doing its product planning months or years in advance, it should register the name then. So either:
- they not calling theirs "iPhone", we will hafta wait to see their name
- this co. will be sued by apple
- someone at apple will get their arse kicked for not being quick enough off the mark

MacTime
18th December 2006, 06:34 PM
You picked me up high, then dropped me down low... Lol, well done...

tintinaujapon
18th December 2006, 06:38 PM
I thought this was because they wanted all of their computers to include the word "Mac" in their names? To suit their marketing campaign.

Absolutely true, but the name still sucks regardless.

gaehl
18th December 2006, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=rtc;233644
- this co. will be sued by apple
[/QUOTE]

Apparently Linksys registered the name in 1990 so Apple would have to have registered it very early.:D

rtc
18th December 2006, 06:53 PM
Apparently Linksys registered the name in 1990 so Apple would have to have registered it very early.:D

Okay good point. Maybe in the apple "new product name" brainstorming meeting:
- "ideas, anyone"
- "er... 'iPhone'?"
- "well done Larry, you always go for the bleedin' obvious huh?"
- "I guess"
- "well 'iPhone' is good, someone find out if it's already taken. If it is, we'll have to have another meeting to decide another name..."

melbmac
18th December 2006, 07:00 PM
You suck, I had my credit card out before the page had loaded...

pipsqeek
18th December 2006, 07:04 PM
People are under the assumption that the iPhone will be called that... with Apple breaking away with the iWhatever naming. I would think something more like Apple MobilePhone Pro (AMPP) will be more fitting.

Or how about Cellular Pro.

pipsqeek

lavo
18th December 2006, 07:08 PM
They could always call it Newton ;-) Appel have had that name registered for quite a while now!

rtc
18th December 2006, 07:13 PM
People are under the assumption that the iPhone will be called that... with Apple breaking away with the iWhatever naming. I would think something more like Apple MobilePhone Pro (AMPP) will be more fitting.

Or how about Cellular Pro.

pipsqeek

You've got me thinking:

- despite the MacPro etc and divergence from the iNames, the success of the 'iPhone' will depend on its perceived connection with the iPod (okay, so you reckon everyone on the planet will buy one instantly no matter what its called. Whatever.) So the iSomething could still be the go, despite the recent changes with other names. Besides, the "mac" campaign is in the computer market not the "portable personal media device" market.

- the "Pro" would not be rolled out with the generic model, that would be just an ipod/phone. The "Pro" will be more expensive, and have other features too, perhaps enhanced WAP or wireless internet features than can DL from iTunes Store? Hmmm? As well as the usual Pro "set", e.g. addressbook/calendar etc hotsyncing combined between iPod and phone functionality.

- companies often have different names in different markets. E.g. iCell in US, iMobile in Oz. But apple have not split their products much so far, and have enjoyed successes beyond what they otherwise would due to the consistency of naming and what it does for the word-of-mouth (and word-of-blog and word-of-forum and word-of-online-review) channels.

rtc.

PS. By the way, why don't iPods have an equaliser yet? Like iTunes does? Coz without it the sound is shitty. Badly needs. Apple - get on it. You will release a whole new iPod market to semi-audiophiles.

Johnny Appleseed
18th December 2006, 07:40 PM
If it's an iPod phone I reckon it should keep the iPod name - "Pod" implies more than just music. Maybe iPod Extreme?

rtc
18th December 2006, 08:05 PM
If it's an iPod phone I reckon it should keep the iPod name - "Pod" implies more than just music. Maybe iPod Extreme?

Now you're talkin.

Gotta have some kinda phone/cell/mobile/talk reference in the name though. iTalk?
Or:
- iPod Shuffle
- iPod Nano
- iPod Video
- "iPod Mobile"

Plain and simple. Bets, anyone?

danno74
18th December 2006, 08:38 PM
RTC, who are the girls in your avatar?

rtc
18th December 2006, 09:20 PM
RTC, who are the girls in your avatar?

You tell me and we'll both know

mechcon
18th December 2006, 09:29 PM
the mobile phone should be called "Duke Nukem Forever"

nortonjg
18th December 2006, 10:59 PM
From http://www.macrumors.com/

Cisco (Not Apple) Launches 'iPhone'
Monday December 18, 2006 06:40 AM EST
Posted by arn
It appears that last minute rumors of an "iPhone" announcement today (Monday, December 18th) were true, but referred to a new product from Cisco and not Apple.

Today, Cisco announced a series of Web-enabled telephone handsets designed to work with Voice over IP (VOIP) services.

Dennis Vogel, a product manager for Cisco, says the use of the iPhone name is part of a larger strategic vision concerning networked homes. Cisco CEO John Chambers will expand on that strategy in remarks at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January.
It's been known that Cisco held the unused U.S. trademark for "iPhone" in the U.S. after acquiring Infogear in 2000. Apple's association with the name has been the consequence of the Apple "iPhone.org" domain that has been registered since 1999 as well as a series of foreign iPhone trademark registrations by Apple over the past few years.

Over the past few months, there have been a flurry of rumors that Apple will be releasing a mobile phone version of their iPod to be released in the 1st half of 2007.

tintinaujapon
18th December 2006, 11:57 PM
It's not just us Apple tragics who gasped in expectation before spluttering with rage:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6189145.stm

entity119
19th December 2006, 12:14 AM
I still prefer my conceptual iphone: http://flickr.com/photos/nickjennion/323686224/

tintinaujapon
19th December 2006, 12:20 AM
Don't give Microsoft evil ideas entity119.

spargo
19th December 2006, 08:55 AM
Or they could just not bother with entering an already over-saturated market, and leave it to the mobile phone companies to do what they do best: make mobile phones..

tintinaujapon
19th December 2006, 09:19 AM
Except that the phone companies really aren't doing that stellar a job. There are a few good phones out there, but the UI of most is atrocious. Imagine if Apple did for mobile phones what they did for mp3 players...

Imagine...

Exocet
19th December 2006, 10:28 AM
CellPod

pipsqeek
19th December 2006, 10:35 AM
The phone companies don't do a great job of making phones either.

I have a mate who works in a phone repair organisation that also recycle the phones. They recycle them only because they contain gold.

But when people ask him for his opinion on a good phone, he says "there aren't any."

Infact, the only time I've ever had a crappy phone was when I didn't consult him on one. I bought a Nokia for the first and last time. From day one it died, and messed about and made life miserable. Went back to using Siemens and it was good again. Then I was told to try the Motorola E1 ROKR. Solid phone based on the E398. Hasn't missed a beat.

Though Apple releasing it as an iTunes phone is a total joke. The whole thing comes to a flying halt when playing music. And the response time... might as well pull up a chair.

pipsqeek

hawker
19th December 2006, 10:42 AM
stefanlod should be banned for causing so many members to get their hopes up!!!

cgollner
19th December 2006, 01:12 PM
This did not surprise me. Soon as I saw it, I knew it would be bogus. Timing just isn't right with MacWorld so close.

MrJesseRoss
19th December 2006, 01:30 PM
This did not surprise me. Soon as I saw it, I knew it would be bogus. Timing just isn't right with MacWorld so close.

How about the fact that Christmas is just a week away? You don't launch a new product one week out from Christmas!

mab
19th December 2006, 05:05 PM
Linksys has stunned the technology world and released the iPhone. Yes, you read that right, Linksys has launched the iPhone.

check it out http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Promotion_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1165633244027&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

invisible
19th December 2006, 05:09 PM
hey mab, i think most of us read right a few days ago too.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=25983&highlight=iphone

Starscream
19th December 2006, 05:09 PM
Bit late brother, lol

willi.

hawker
19th December 2006, 05:11 PM
everyones trying to be a comedian today :P