PDA

View Full Version : Do we need an Iphone.

SRG
16th December 2006, 11:12 AM
http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/12/15/blueye/index.php

Saw these in DJ's the other day ($149).

Made me think with this, I don't think a Iphone would be a attractive option. Whilst some people will no doubt like having one device, for me I like my Sony Erricson phone and my nano and this seems to do all I think I would need.

ruegen
16th December 2006, 11:18 AM
After trying to configure and put songs on my cumbersome Motorola V3X.... yes.

SRG
16th December 2006, 11:28 AM
Thing is though Ruegen,using this with your phone you don't need to move the music from your Ipod. Also I understand reading about it elsewhere it retains the last ten numbers you have dialled on the Ipod and you cna select them from there and it will call that numer.

Seems a very handy handsfree device.

ruegen
16th December 2006, 11:51 AM
Then I would have 3 devices...

markh
16th December 2006, 11:58 AM
Personally, I think the iPhone may not be what we all think it will be. What if it just an add-on to iChat to allow VOIP or something along those lines?

entropy
16th December 2006, 12:09 PM
It would have to be an improvement on current phone tech. Considering that most GUI on phones sucks royally, this is an avenue that apple could make a difference, and an excuse to enter the market.

I believe that apple has no choice. As phones' music playing capabilities improve, if apple wants to retain its dominance in the the portable music market, it has to adapt or close off any new niches that could evolve as replacements for the dominant paradigm in portable music.

gmask1
16th December 2006, 12:16 PM
I think much like the way the PDA and mobile phone converged, the phone and music player have done the same. Might as well put the most popular music player into a phone format...

If nothing else, it would eliminate a device from my pocket. I always carry a phone, but I'm reluctant to carry an iPod as well as car keys, wallet, ventolin, etc...

Kuma
16th December 2006, 12:24 PM
Im really excited about it... however I speculate (http://kbhr.vox.com/) that Japan wont be getting the iphone (it wont be sophisticated enough)

A phone which will easily sync with my computer (and carry some tunes or podcasts) as I walk to school and back again is perfect.
I will always have a "big" ipod but from what I have read about the phone Im stoked... (except I dont think Japan will get it).

mechcon
16th December 2006, 12:39 PM
if the iphone will have the features im after in a phone (not to a dramatic smartphone 2kg jobbie extent either) then iMight get one, otherwise... i'll get a sony ericsson

jdub
16th December 2006, 12:43 PM
I don't mind if they come out with an iphone as long as the ipod remains as solely a music player.

N i C O?
16th December 2006, 01:56 PM
I would go and buy one because it would probably be able to share things between your mac and the iPhone quite easily.
Would it be able to play videos though??

im sure that the iPod would do a better job at playing music compared to the iPhone but having them both together is alot easier then having two seperate gadgets.

The Architect.mac
16th December 2006, 02:40 PM
yes, yes we do need an iPhone...

lenman74
16th December 2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah but what are the odds of it becoming available in Oz even if its released in 07 in the states and europe.

Maybe by 2010?

g4cube
16th December 2006, 07:54 PM
Your right it might take that long but we can always hope. I would get one if the price turned out to be right and was tough enough to take the thrashing my ipod and phone do now.

akaddk
16th December 2006, 08:50 PM
Given that you can essentially get a $1,000 mobile phone for free these days, the iPhone/iPod would have to be truly spectactular and be bundled with attractive phone plans for it to be even remotely considered by anyone with a modicum of sense.

Having said that, I would love to dump my phone and iPod and get an all-in-one device... as long as it's not a clunky, ugly monstrosity like all the other phone mp3 players I've seen so far.

Jaffa
16th December 2006, 09:39 PM
Question:
Do we need an Iphone.

Answer: HELL YEAH!

Tho I wont be buying a first gen iphone tho, mainly because of money issues.

I really hate having to carry a phone and ipod... sure, my phone can hold 50 songs and does come with itunes (it's a motorola rockr) but it just doesnt cut it. it doesnt cut it by a long shot.

designers_hub
17th December 2006, 12:18 AM
well i don't, i already have a phone.

Kuma
17th December 2006, 12:55 AM
thinksecret posted that it is going to be a 2.5gen phone...
so that pretty much kills the iphone for Japan and Korea (unless they have phones for these markets)

modo Cosmo
31st December 2006, 03:39 PM
the iPhone needs to have all the latest features like WiFi, GPS, Radio and so on.

If it's only going to be a phone that plays music too it's not going to be a success i think.

But it's a good thing Apple is broadening it's market.

Kuma
4th January 2007, 07:10 PM
well according to net@nights latest podcast.. Leo says he has on good authority that the phone will not be GSM.. only CDMA....

which opens up a whole slew of possibilities.. including my original not in Japan theory...

oh well.. next week we are all going to know

scruffie
4th January 2007, 07:19 PM
Hmm - CDMA only? That's a bit crazy. Isn't Verizon and Sprint the only providers that do CDMA? I thought it would have made more sense for them to go GSM 850/1900 Mhz to cater for the majority of the US market. Oh and at least a 900Mhz band for everywhere else.