PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Music Store now accepts PayPal

iSlayer
11th December 2004, 09:50 AM
http://www.macminute.com/2004/12/10/paypal/

Might make it possible for Australian users to buy music without an american credit card.

EDIT: spelling. :)

EDIT-Thanks Ozi

DVD Plaza
12th December 2004, 09:04 AM
This is getting really frustrating. EVERYWHERE I see a discussion about this people are saying "MIGHT make it possible for Aussies".... when the heck is someone actually going to report on trying it...?

I can't be bothered subscribing to yet more services unless I know it will work.

OziMac
12th December 2004, 09:10 AM
Yep - I am waiting for the same thing, but I'm under the impression that they've ensured that it's still US only.

DVD Plaza
12th December 2004, 09:39 AM
Bugger it, decided to go ahead...

1. Created a new PayPal account using an address I looked up from a US company

2. Added my Australian credit card using the US billing address

3. System could not auto-verify my card so has charged $1.95 to my card and asked me to report the number that appears with the transaction

So now I await my online banking to show up this $1.95 charge, hopefully I see the number it wants mentioned in the description, and then I feed that back into the account.

I presume I then browse to ITMS US, create an account, and link it to my new PayPal account...?

Atomic
12th December 2004, 10:36 AM
I still dont think its going to work. Once Paypal has "Verified" your details, it will have confirmed that you are outside the US thus reporting to iTMS that you are not eligible to make a purchase... I think :unsure:

Husq
12th December 2004, 11:02 AM
I still dont think its going to work. Once Paypal has "Verified" your details, it will have confirmed that you are outside the US thus reporting to iTMS that you are not eligible to make a purchase... I think

Yep. I linked my iTunes account to my paypal account. It successfully linked to my iTunes account, but iTunes wouldn't let me purchase music as my country of origin didn't match.

DVD Plaza
12th December 2004, 11:18 AM
Sorry I mustn't have been clear. I created a UNITED STATES PayPal account. Country of origin is USA, address is USA, billing addressi s USA, my balance is in USD, I see US specific options, etc.

Atomic
12th December 2004, 12:12 PM
aha that explains it ... you have a US bank account..?

arty
12th December 2004, 01:57 PM
It's all to do with the licensing agreements they have with the local record companies.

If you're not in the country where they have an agreement, then they can't legally sell them to you.

Europe is a perfect example with only the UK and some EU countries able to purchase from the iTMS.

DVD Plaza
12th December 2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Atomic@Dec 12 2004, 12:12 PM
aha that explains it ... you have a US bank account..?
Negative - US PayPal account with AUS VISA.

DVD Plaza
12th December 2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by arty@Dec 12 2004, 01:57 PM
It's all to do with the licensing agreements they have with the local record companies.
I think you've got the wrong thread - that topic has been discussed to death elsewhere. This thread is about HOW not WHY.

OziMac
12th December 2004, 03:54 PM
Hmm - DVD Plaza - are you saying that you have a US credit card and billing address?

Or that you used your Australian Visa card (with corresponding Australian billing address) to create a US Paypal account?

And if so, did it work?

sillydog701
12th December 2004, 06:01 PM
3. System could not auto-verify my card so has charged $1.95 to my card and asked me to report the number that appears with the transactionI don't think the $1.95 was required. It's used to lift the PayPal monthly limit, something like US$500 per month.

Originally posted by OziMac@Dec 12 2004, 03:54 PM
Hmm - DVD Plaza - are you saying that you have a US credit card and billing address?

Or that you used your Australian Visa card (with corresponding Australian billing address) to create a US Paypal account?

And if so, did it work?
Before I realised it was discussed here, I did what DVD Plaza did.

I tired first time with my regular PayPal account (International), did not work.
I then tried again with a new PayPal account (US), created with my MasterCard (AU billing address).

Then, it accepted.

http://sillydog.org/graph/temp/ss_itmsacceptspaypal04.jpg

Would it work?
Don't know yet, because I am still using my Gift Certificate credits.
But I guess I can try to buy an iTunes Gift Certificate and see if that works.

spargo
12th December 2004, 08:09 PM
good luck guys - hope it works for you!

DVD Plaza
14th December 2004, 10:29 AM
Okay my Australian VISA now has the US verification charge on it - the $1.95 USD came out to $2.66 AUD.

The transaction description hasn't appeared yet - simply has a temporary description of "Purchase # x". My online banking often does this if it is showing a transaction immediately, before the other details are available yet.

Sometime later today the description should appear, which will contain the activation code. I can then use that to activate/confirm/verify my US PayPal account and commence work opening a US iTunes account linked to it.

iSlayer
14th December 2004, 10:32 AM
did you get charged a currency conversion fee.
my bank charges $8 to do it normally

sillydog701
14th December 2004, 10:51 AM
I bought 9 songs from iTMS (US) yesterday. I haven't entered the verification code to my PayPal account yet, as that's only for lifting the PayPal monthly limit.

sillydog701
14th December 2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Dec 14 2004, 10:32 AM
did you get charged a currency conversion fee.
my bank charges $8 to do it normally
$8 for that!?! :blink: Which bank are you with?

It's between 1 to 2% for my MasterCards.

Crambo
14th December 2004, 11:36 AM
Having a conversion fee set to a fixed amount isn't good, as Silly has said it's set to a percentage; and for good reason.

DVD Plaza
14th December 2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by sillydog701@Dec 14 2004, 10:51 AM
I haven't entered the verification code to my PayPal account yet, as that's only for lifting the PayPal monthly limit.
PayPal failed to verify my bank, hence they have put me through the manual verification procedure - my PayPal account is unusable until I've done that.

sillydog701
15th December 2004, 12:37 AM
Well, I can report that with PayPal payment method, the iTunes Music Store (US Store) works for me. Just bought one gift certificate for my friend.

Since I don't want AppleTalk AU being sued (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2806&view=findpost&p=22975) for liability, I don't think I should address the detail.

DVD Plaza
15th December 2004, 09:01 AM
Hey sillydog701 - did you have any problems activating your PayPal for iTunes?

My credit card is now successfully verified and I'm good to go. But when I create a US iTunes account, and it gets me to verify my PayPal account, I get put through a iTunes/PayPal disclaimer and then it suddenly declares "you have 1 credit card setup" and yet on the same page is forcing me to add a credit card... if I cancel this it tells me I am cancelling my iTunes/PayPal integration....

I tried re-entering my credit card again but it tells me it is already in my account, no kidding so why not use it?

VERY confusing... am going round and round and round and round in circles...

sillydog701
15th December 2004, 09:26 AM
With the new PayPal account just created for iTunes, I don't have any problem with that. The credit card thing went through smoothly.

Although I did enter the verification code before the buy the Gift Certificate for a friend.

markh
15th December 2004, 09:41 AM
I'm having the same issues as you DVD Plaza.. Says I have already one creditcard with paypal, but just loops.... damn...

DVD Plaza
15th December 2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by markh@Dec 15 2004, 09:41 AM
I'm having the same issues as you DVD Plaza.. Says I have already one creditcard with paypal, but just loops.... damn...
$%^@&*%#!!!!!!

sillydog701
15th December 2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by markh@Dec 15 2004, 09:41 AM
I don't have such problem. I guess I am lucky.

DVD Plaza
15th December 2004, 03:25 PM
Maybe we can share your PayPal account ;)

macmate
15th December 2004, 03:33 PM
might have something to do with the fact that silly is using mastercard and you guys are using visa.

markh
15th December 2004, 07:23 PM
Who says mine is a visa card? ;-) cuz it aint...

spargo
15th December 2004, 08:57 PM
I use iTunes UK with a UK bank Mastercard now that i'm living here - it it helps at all, if anyone of you have any questions about the process I go through when purchasing, just shoot! :D

cheers,

(My only input on all this experimenting, is that I've been told that overseas purchases on Australian Visa cards made while abroad transfer through the U.S. first no matter where you're buying and therefore suffer a U.S. currency even conversion before hitting your Australian account and then it converts from $U.S. to $AUD - that's why I have travelled with a Mastercard so that I only have one currency conversion from the one where I am buying (e.g. ŁUK back to $AUD..), and not via the U.S.)

Note: I know nothing about PayPal stuff!

Rayd
15th December 2004, 11:33 PM
just curious... how much are they chaging for the 99 cents to AU cents?

benny gsr
20th December 2004, 10:15 PM
I note silly dog mentioned that he bought gift certificates for a friend.......

My sister is currently in the US, with a bank account as far as i understand.
Does this mean she can buy me a gift certificate, and then I can download songs??

Can I set up an itunes account to her bank account?

Cheers

sillydog701
20th December 2004, 10:23 PM
I bought two Gift Certificates so far, and both Certificates worked. I just realised that the iTMS Gift Certificate is the best Christmas gift. I also bought some songs myself.

Originally posted by benny gsr+Dec 20 2004, 10:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (benny gsr &#064; Dec 20 2004, 10:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Does this mean she can buy me a gift certificate, and then I can download songs??[/b]That&#39;s true, and the easiest way.

<!--QuoteBegin-benny gsr@Dec 20 2004, 10:15 PM
Can I set up an itunes account to her bank account?[/quote]You need her permission first.