PDA

View Full Version : Doing up a CUBE

Jimbo
1st March 2004, 04:17 PM
Hey guys my G/F just bought a s/h cube 400 and its got like 512 mb ram i think, it runs ok, in osx 10.2.8 but its bit sluggy, would a grafix card (32mb one) be a worthy upgrade, or a waste of time, and also would a g4 sonnet card make it run as fast as a MDD g4? (a 1.2ghz card)

She will use it for DV editing and Protools 002, so if you know a good 32 mb or 64mb card to throw in there> let me know, also isn't heat an issue with sonnet cards?

Disko
1st March 2004, 04:24 PM
Sounds like the best GF ever. She bought you a cube. That's good.

First thing i'd do is upgrade to panther (10.3.x) - it's much more responsive than jaguar (10.2.x).

jameso
1st March 2004, 06:12 PM
http://cubeowner.com/kbase/index.php

new video card, 1.4 ghz processor and a lot of ram

jameso

mhollis
2nd March 2004, 12:36 AM
There are processor upgrades from Sonnet (http://www.sonnettech.com/product/encore_stg4.html) and Powerlogix (http://www.powerlogix.com/products/pfg4100/index.html) that will make her Cube really sing. I would not expect her to be able to do DV editing with the Cube unless she upgraded her processor and upgraded the RAM to at least 1G.

I have a 1GHz Sonnet processor in my G4-400 (Sawtooth) and it continues to extend its useful life.

A word of warning: Upgrading the processor in a Cube is a pretty serious hardware hack. Sonnet recommends that a dealer install it and they sell a special kit (including a shoehorn?) for the Cube.

jameso
2nd March 2004, 10:23 AM
"I have a 1GHz Sonnet processor in my G4-400 (Sawtooth) and it continues to extend its useful life."

do the sonnet upgrades still need extra software?

jameso

mhollis
2nd March 2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by jameso@Mar 2 2004, 09:23 AM
do the sonnet upgrades still need extra software?
I do not recall Sonnet accelerators ever needing extra software, but it may have been necessary for the 68040 to PowerPC upgrades (before my time on a Macintosh).

I did have to upgrade the firmware on my Mac and the instructions state that you have to do that. I would imagine that Jimbo would need to update the firmware on his girlfriend's Cube before upgrading the processor. I tried adding the processor without the update and I had an inert machine.

I believe that one must be able to boot into System 9 in order to update firmware.

But other than that, the Sonnet daughtercard just fit into the processor socket and simply worked. It was a good and very easy upgrade. Right away I noticed a vast difference.

I do note that Final Cut Pro will not show you any real-time previews of any effects unless your processor runs at 500MHz or faster. With a 1GHz (or in the case of Jimbo's girlfriend, a 1.2GHz processor will give her a great many previews, everything until you get into 3D warp will probably work just fine with enough system RAM.

I should also mention that, no matter what, one should always render all effects once one has a finished production that is to their liking. Sometimes the effects don't work right when playing back to tape without rendering.

jameso
3rd March 2004, 11:57 AM
mhollis, sounds good, thanx

jameso

Jimbo
3rd March 2004, 07:10 PM
wow, this is great, i ask a simple question and learn so much, you guys all rock

PS anyone know where i can get OS 10.3 form, for less than $250 like second hand or something?

mhollis
5th March 2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Mar 3 2004, 06:10 PM
anyone know where i can get OS 10.3 form, for less than $250 like second hand or something?
I do not know if Apple Australia offers good deals for schools, but if your GF is still in school, she may be able to get an educational discount.

Other than that, I really cannot be of any assistance.

mbd
6th March 2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Mar 3 2004, 06:10 PM
anyone know where i can get OS 10.3 form, for less than $250 like second hand or something?
Umm, the RRP for OS X 10.3 is only $229, so you should be able to get it for less than $250 from anywhere. If you'd like to order a copy from me, send me a private message or email and we can discuss pricing :-).

[hopefully that's not too much solicitation?]

decryption
7th March 2004, 11:12 AM
Students can get it for $129 :P

Jimbo
7th March 2004, 04:30 PM
Rocket, if decryption tells me where from we'll see
decryption: Where from mate?

Jimbo
7th March 2004, 04:31 PM
all my wind holes computers have pirate versions of os's on em (i mean no they dont :)) but i buy the oss for my macs, a considerable discount like that is good! I'm still in school too and i bought my g4 with an educational discount so...

Disko
7th March 2004, 04:39 PM
at the bottom left of the apple store's wepage, found at www.apple.com.au, there is a link to "education" - go there, find your school/uni/tafe, and check the prices:

"Mac OS X 10.3 Single User Edu/Gov" is $129, so i assume you can pay that price at any apple reseller.

mbd
7th March 2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Mar 7 2004, 03:39 PM
Mac OS X 10.3 Single User Edu/Gov" is $129, so i assume you can pay that price at any apple reseller.

So, Jimbo, if you're an eligible student in Apple's eyes, definitely go the edu pricing - it's unbeatable compared to normal retail pricing.

Just to clarify, not every apple reseller can sell edu (I can't, for example). Your best bet is to probably call an AppleCentre and ask if they are authorised to sell at education pricing levels...

Disko
7th March 2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by RocketFactory@Mar 7 2004, 06:50 PM
Just to clarify on that, not any apple reseller can sell edu (I can't, for example). Your best bet is to probably call and AppleCentre and ask if they are authorised to sell at education pricing levels...
Aaah. Thanks for letting us know that.

Currawong
7th March 2004, 08:45 PM
Another thought for the cube is a fast hard drive. A Western Digital 7200rpm drive with an 8mb cache would be the way to go - they are blazing.

You can fit up to 1.5Gb RAM in the cube too. Video cards are a tad tricky, as the front plate for the cube ones were odd in that they had screw holes. Fitting, say, the ATI Radeon 8500 required some serious modification of the internals, because the card was too large not to bump into one of the internal connectors. Also, cards that have only ADC and DVI connections wont fit without filing a larger hole for the connectors in the case.

Not commonly known is that the cube is designed to take a 80x23mm fan (not like the standard 80x25mm fans) to aid in cooling. You have to totally strip the cube to see where it goes, however.

Jimbo
7th March 2004, 10:20 PM
actually currawong, i did suspect that, i saw a pic of a completly stipped cube, its got 4 screw holes in the bottom with nothing in them???? i was curious, but do you reckon thats what goes there? I might not do that to my cube when i get it, but i may do it to my g/f's if she gets the sonnet card

mhollis
8th March 2004, 02:58 AM
The Sonnet accelerator board for the cube does include a fan, so that may give you enough cooling -- though one can never have too much.

Of course, I can imagine a Cube sounding like a turbofan engine on takeoff.....

Jimbo
8th March 2004, 09:57 AM
hmmm, turbofan you say

Currawong
10th March 2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Mar 7 2004, 09:20 PM
actually currawong, i did suspect that, i saw a pic of a completly stipped cube, its got 4 screw holes in the bottom with nothing in them???? i was curious, but do you reckon thats what goes there? I might not do that to my cube when i get it, but i may do it to my g/f's if she gets the sonnet card
I just checked all the cube sites - there is a 80x15mm Panaflow fan that fits in that slot with the 4 screw holes. One mod I came across had the corners (screw holes) of a cheap 80x25mm fan cut off so the owner could fit one in that space.

It's not just the CPU that benefits from greater cooling, it's all the internal components for which there is a risk of death by overheating.

Links I've found interesting:

Panaflow fan installation (http://www.cubeowner.com/fan_install/index.html)

Powerlogix Cube Enclosure (http://powerlogix.com/products/enclosure/)

Cube Owner's FAQ (http://cubeowner.com/kbase/index.php) - This is where all the good links come from.

Jimbo
10th March 2004, 10:43 AM
tanks ta ye! those links were grande, espesh the first one, is that a connector where the fan is meant to be, i think they were considering making these babies very high specced and included the fan mounts in case

Byrd
10th March 2004, 07:30 PM
Overclocking your cube is also a possibility. Check the XLR8 site for more info, but 400's will get to 450 or 500, while 450s get to 550 without much effort.

Removing resistors from your beaut Cube may be a little disturbing, but once removed, the 0K (that is, they're just a short) resistors can be substituted with conductive ink!

JB

Gothikon
12th March 2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by bYrd@Mar 10 2004, 06:30 PM
400's will get to 450 or 500, while 450s get to 550 without much effort.

There were no 400 MHz Cubes, IIRC the 450 and 500 both go to 550 without problems, it does require some soldering though (2 resistors), I'm not brave enough to try this until I get a CPU upgrade though, then I'll overclock the old chip and chuck it in something else.

Currawong
12th March 2004, 06:18 PM
Peronally, I wouldn't mind a DP1Ghz cube, but I need at least 1 PCI slot. Maybe Apple will bring out some amazing 20th anniversary Mac that's actually practical this year.

Admittedly, the LCD iMacs fulfill the same purpose now.