PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 - Silly Security Question

shrek27
13th December 2006, 07:49 PM
I won a iBook G4 and am wondering if it comes with an Antivirus? Or do I need to buy one like Norton or something?

I know its a stupid question as I am so new to Mac's

Currawong
13th December 2006, 08:08 PM
Try a search of the forums for "anti virus" and you'll find similar questions. Basically no, as there are no viruses in the wild for Mac OS X. Some people who work in large companies require an AV program, so we usually suggest AVG's Mac version. <- Edit: should be ClamXAV not AVG, doh.

forgie
13th December 2006, 08:12 PM
Norton = bad.

Just don't go there.

ClamXAV (http://www.clamxav.com/) is a free OSX antivirus, but it's really not needed.
(http://www.clamxav.com/)

shrek27
13th December 2006, 08:16 PM
why is Norton bad?

& ClamXAV is a free OSX antivirus, but it's really not needed. What do you mean that its really not needed?
What are you suggesting.

Thanks U 2

can Norton be used on a Mac?

sorry, I think I miss understood.

So iBook G4 does or does not come with antivirus? Do I need to get one?

forgie
13th December 2006, 08:27 PM
It doesn't come with antivirus.

Antivirus is not needed because there are no viruses on OSX.

Norton is bad because Symantec make bad software. It sucks on windows, and it sucks on OSX. They spend a lot of money scare mongering mac users into thinking that there is a real security problem on OSX when there isn't.

You can use AV software if you want to take extra precautions, and if you want to, ClamXAV is a free option.

gbuikstra
13th December 2006, 08:37 PM
What they are saying is that it is not necessary to buy or install any antivirus software on a Mac, It simply is not needed to protect yourself.

But a Mac can still foward a virus to a PC via email even though it can not be infected itself, so in order to be a good citizen and not spread a virus to your PC buddies, you should consider installing an antivirus program.

ClamXav is a good free choice although a bit tricky to set up.

shrek27
13th December 2006, 09:29 PM
thankyou for that info.....WOW! That's unreal not having to have an antivirus program.

I do understand now, thankyou all for your help, I really appreciate it.

rtc
13th December 2006, 09:54 PM
Is my memory playing tricks or did norton start off pretty much on macs then port to windoze later? Yeah some of their system and disk tinkering stuff a decade or so ago was pretty powerful and useful but i agree it does more harm than good these days.

forgie
13th December 2006, 09:55 PM
I should add that the fact that there are no viruses currently affecting OSX, that doesn't mean it's virus proof. It is possible to write a virus for OSX, it's just that it is 100 times harder then writing something for windows, and given that many times more people use windows anyway, it makes much more sense for virus writers to focus on windows.

Just because it's much better then windows in regards to security, that doesn't make it perfect. There may come a day when we all need to run antivirus software, but I think that that day is a long way off.

forgie
13th December 2006, 10:03 PM
Is my memory playing tricks or did norton start off pretty much on macs then port to windoze later? Yeah some of their system and disk tinkering stuff a decade or so ago was pretty powerful and useful but i agree it does more harm than good these days.
Wiki entry on Norton Utilities
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_Utilities#Norton_Utilities_for_the_Macintos h)
It doesn't give dates for the mac utilities, but it says that norton first came out for PC in 1981. I definitely remember using Norton/Symantec utilities in 1989-90 on a mac, but before that I can't be too sure.