PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed! All CDs & DVDs are continuously ejected

Rodger Graham-Wilson
13th December 2006, 10:30 AM
I posted this message on the Apple Discussion pages (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=768273&tstart=0) in the hope that the SuperDrive is not dead:o

[Hello Everyone!

Our little four year old Titanium PowerBook G4 has just started to reject all manner of CDs and DVDs. It does not matter whether the disc is blank, home burnt or a commercial CD or DVD. Every disc that is inserted into the SuperDrive is automatically ejected after a couple of "whirrs".

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated as this machine is used for a small dance studio and burning CDs for performances and competitions is a way of life for this PowerBook.]:confused:

The reply I received is that the drive is probably dead:mad: . I have a number of different machines at my disposal and I was thinking to try and see if it is software related by using Target Disk Mode to firstly transffer all users onto a different machine, wipe the PowerBoook clean and then reinstall.

But, if the SuperDrive is definitely dead, I do not think thaat you can reinstall the original software CDs from Target Disk Mode:( .

Any ideas, suggestions, advice, prices on new SuperDrives would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rodger Graham-Wilson

Brains
13th December 2006, 10:37 AM
If it is ejecting every disc, then it is a hardware fault, not a software fault.

Time for your PB to visit an Apple doctor, I'm afraid.

B.

Disko
13th December 2006, 10:37 AM
just as a test...

Does it boot off of the install Cd that came with it?

shut it down. Turn it back on, insert the installer disc. hold 'C'.

If the CD stays in when it is booting, then it might just be a MacOS X issue, and not the drive. Here's hoping...

Rodger Graham-Wilson
13th December 2006, 10:55 AM
Sorry! Been there and done that. I tried the Apple Hardware Test CD, Tiger Boot DVD, the Apple Protection Plan CD and the original PowerBook G4 Software Restore CD. All CDs and DVDs were spat right out and the Hard Drive took over the boot.

RGW

antechinus55
13th December 2006, 10:56 AM
this happened to my iBook and the drive was doa.

sao

Rodger Graham-Wilson
13th December 2006, 10:57 AM
If it is ejecting every disc, then it is a hardware fault, not a software fault.

Time for your PB to visit an Apple doctor, I'm afraid.

B.

Thanks Brains:) :( :) It won't be till February and a visit to the Mac Doctor.