PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3

april_candice
11th December 2006, 12:02 PM
Hi, I am looking at getting a second hand ibook for my partner, who only uses the internet, so it doesnt have to be the fastest machine ever made.

What i need to know is, do g3 have wireless internet thingy (airport?) Or do i need an extra card thing? (i cant remember the technical names at the minute)

ta

april

mvjs
11th December 2006, 12:04 PM
G3 iBooks (Candy Coloured and White) support the original Airport card (note: not the current Airport Extreme card), which will connect you to wireless networks. You should be able to pick one of these cards up for ~$120

april_candice
11th December 2006, 12:10 PM
And do g4s have this already built in?

antechinus55
11th December 2006, 12:17 PM
white iBook g3s are also able to use an asus external usb 801g (which is the airport extreme protocol), which looks similar to a bluetooth unit. Costs $55, which makes it faster and cheaper than an airport card.

sao

Byrd
11th December 2006, 03:46 PM
And do g4s have this already built in?

G4 iBooks have Airport Extreme (802.11g protocol) again which is an optional extra but can be installed later on. For some reason these cards are cheaper than original Airport cards; about $60.

Or, as antechinus55 suggested, an external USB dongle is another option, but you'll have to put up with it getting in the way.

JB

mivory
11th December 2006, 04:14 PM
Actually the g4 iBooks come with the airport extreme cards in them. That's why they are cheaper, because everyone has one! The original airport card was an optional extra.

soulman
11th December 2006, 05:06 PM
...g4 iBooks come with the airport extreme cards in them...Actually, not all of them. Generally speaking, those with a 1.2Ghz or faster CPU had them standard but before that they were optional. I have a 1.0Ghz 12" machine here that came without AE.

Byrd
11th December 2006, 08:56 PM
Actually the g4 iBooks come with the airport extreme cards in them. That's why they are cheaper, because everyone has one! The original airport card was an optional extra.

Fair enough, I think they're a bit of a bugger to install in iBooks that don't have them - perhaps another reason why so cheap :D

JB